It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jimmy Carter Sued for $5 Million for Criticism of Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Jimmy Carter Sued for $5 Million for Criticism of Israel

news.antiwar.com

In a move that calls back to the attempt by Texas cattlemen to sue Oprah Winfrey for “defamation of beef.” an Israeli lawyer has filed a class-action lawsuit against former President Jimmy Carter, seeking $5 million in damages because his book “Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid” allegedly defamed Israel.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Lawsuits against authors alleging “defamation” of the government or a key ally, though common in some Mideast dictatorships, have never been particulary common nor successful in the United States. Likewise, it does not appear that New York’s Consumer Protection Law explicitly forbids criticism of Israel in a work of non-fiction, though if true this would surely make for an interesting Constitutional challenge to such a law.

Simon and Schuster spokesman Adam Rothberg condemned the lawsuit as a “chillling attack on free speech” and promised that the company would oppose it in court. Former President Carter has yet to comment.

news.antiwar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I see we have sunk to a new low.. Total BS.. The Israeli Lawyer should be fined himself for wasting the courts time with this mess.
edit on 8-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Haha, very funny AV above me haha

Anyhow, so I guess they should also Sue Chomsky

What a world we live in
They can oppress people as much as they want with our money but dare we criticize their crimes against humanity!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Not that I believe the webbots or anything, but there was one report that mentioned that TPTB were going to to make it a illegal to criticize Jews or Israel.

So if the court awards this guy 5 million from Carter then it will automatically become a lawsuit every time you say something negative about Israel.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Israel's pathetic actions as of lately have been borderline comical. Jimmy is probably laughing his a$$ off. He should write a part two just to aggravate them more.

Jimmy and his lawyers will have a fun time with this one.
edit on 8-2-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Not that I believe the webbots or anything, but there was one report that mentioned that TPTB were going to to make it a illegal to criticize Jews or Israel.

Why would they not do that? After all, most of your government and top companies are Jewish.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I think BBC is also owned by them ..

and i think that's why we don't see down below video on FOX or CNN..

edit on 8-2-2011 by infomaster because: (no reason given)

Please check the comments on second video on youtube they are deliberately marked as SPAM !

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by infomaster

All media is or will be owned by them eventually.

Link not working?
OK, you fixed it while I was posting

edit on 8/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Please check the comments on second video on youtube they are deliberately marked as SPAM

There are also many on subsequent pages that are not!
edit on 8/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
wow Israel . Yet again never seem to cease to amaze me !

Israel really does what Israel wants . This is going to be intresting to watch how it plays out .

Your day is getting closer Israel , your iron clad fist can't rule forever.

Israel really is the biggest terrorist organization . Which is one of the greatest threats to society today . But they run free and rampid like nobody can stop them lol.

go phuk your self israel.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Actually i occasional visit this site so not much use to the interface..

Anyways thanks for your suggestion..

I also like to add here in this thread that ..last year there was a news report about how Israel Manipulating US Media..

Secret files declassified in America have revealed covert public relations and lobbying activities of Israel in the U.S. The National Archive made the documents public following a Senate investigation.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I find it amazing, and yet utterly unsuprising that Israel are trying to sue Carter over this book. But they will have difficulty proving defamation , since they would have to categoricaly prove that the things which Mr Carter says in his book , are infact false.
If the accusations he levels at Israel are true in any regard, then they will loose the case. If they cannot prove that Jimmy Carters book has caused harm ( as if a mere text could do anything that dropping armed thugs on a peace convoy boat couldnt do ) , then they will loose the case. If they cannot prove that Mr Carter failed to adequately research his book and its content before making the comments which caused offence, then they will loose the case, and because Mr Carter is a sort of celebrity (in that people know his name, and that his life is a well documented subject) they will have to prove that he intended harm by his statements. If they do not, they will loose the case.
I do not think they have a hope in hell based on those measures of proof. I hope Mr Carters lawyers gut this legal challenge , and leave its entrails steaming in the morning air.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
That's hilarious. When it becomes law to not be allowed to criticize Israel, or any country for that matter, that'll be the day I turn terrorist and nuke a few places. Talk about frivolous lawsuits and attention whoring.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It is becoming increasingly a difficult line to walk between Anti-Semitism and Anti-Zionism. For how can we call to fact that most banks, new corporations, and elite, are well, Jewish, without joining the fanatical club of Anti-Semites? Unfortunately this line must be expanded upon and might never be fully understood.

This lawsuit, I am afraid, is pathetic and a waste of the courts time. If we were to pursue judicial reform then I would have to suggest requiring those who file a lawsuit and take another to court must pay the court in the event they lose. That would cease many new lawsuits.

Israel has been internationally protected through the various networks of international corporations and organizations which influence policy here in the West, through this influence Israel and Jews whom support Zionism, are allowed to dictate and direct both domestic and foreign policy. Consolidating considerable amounts of power within the hands of one religious group is detrimental to not only the free-markets, our governments, and our civil liberties but also to that religious group themselves.

What occurred in Nazi Germany was on a large scale and is universally known however what is not so universally known is that when the German economy collapsed due to the Great Depression many of the top bankers in Europe were Jewish and they moved in to buy up German assets thus the Nazi’s siphoned off the fear that the Jews were taking over Germany.

Do not fool yourself into believing radicalism and ethnic cleansing can never occur again the West, there are still areas that are tinderboxes waiting for the nearest spark, and unfortunately all it takes is another economic collapse, this one worse, and we could see populist accusation that the Jews are in control again.

Israel has become intoxicated on the decades of protection and safe guard that has been provided to them that they are becoming reckless. Taking a lawsuit to a former President of the United States for ‘attacking’ Israel is only the beginning of their narcissism which shall unfortunately cause resentment and turmoil for all those that are under Zionist influence.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well, Israel knows that criminal charges cant be filed against a person in the US, for criticizing Israel (yet)
so theyll go the civil suit route.
And people wonder why they are so hated across the world.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Seems interesting to me ... the whole concept that a nation can be defamed.

I thought the purpose of the courts and the doctrine of defamation/slander/libel were about protecting "people"... not "countries."

Next Corporations will be suing people for 'defaming' them... as if they were a person too..... oh yeah ... the lawyers made it so they are.... (too bad we can't draft them into service or compel them to be loyal to their own country.)

Israeli public relations efforts are becoming increasingly less effective.... they really need to rethink their marketing strategy... although it is somewhat sad that 'marketing' should be even a remote concern to a government...

A government's best marketing and public relations is how it treats the people of the world, including its own citizens.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
In order for it to be considered defamation, it has to be false. Jimmy Carter was spot on when he called izrael an apartheid racist state worse than even South Africa's record. He is also correct when he stated whats left of Palestine is the largest "open air prison".

If anything, his statements were too kind. The izraelis should give him $5 million. Of-course that would be US tax payer money so whats the difference.

Compared to Jack Bernstein, Jimmy Carter is an izraeli sympathizer:

The Life of an American Jew in Racist Marxist Israel

edit on 8-2-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

top topics

join