It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giffords' Rehab Fully Covered, But Not So For Other Victims Of Brain Injury

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

What she’s needed, she’s gotten,” said Pia Carusone, Giffords’ chief of staff, who confirmed to msnbc.com that Giffords’ care after the Jan. 8 attack that killed six and injured 13 will be treated as a workplace injury.
Health highlights

But 284 miles away, in Anna, Texas, another gunshot brain injury victim has not been so fortunate.

Steven Jones, 18, has struggled to access rehabilitation care for four years, ever since he was shot in the face in 2006 by a neighbor boy messing around with a 9-millimeter handgun.

A sad situation indeed.

The bullet left Steven blind in his right eye, deaf in his right ear, with little function in his left arm and hand and difficulty walking. Now 18, he still has a 4-inch hole in his skull. His IQ dropped from 121 to 81 after doctors had to remove 40 percent of his brain, said his father, Randy Jones.

Steven has received some high-quality therapy, thanks to charity, at Pate Rehabilitation, a specialized brain injury center that normally charges up to $1,000 a day. The bulk of his care, however, has been provided by state Medicaid and other providers, whose resources — and expertise — were limited.

Two-thirds sent home with no further care
“They give you what you get,” said Randy Jones, 55, a high school history teacher and football coach who adopted Steven as a toddler along with his sister, Chely, now 14, from foster care. “Some of the rehab we did was whatever we could. It’s like going to a restaurant. If you have $5, this is what you can order for $5.”

Sent home? It is a travesty when someone can be helped and is not because of insurance or the lack of it. While I don't think everything in the US should be free, there has to be a better way. Though honestly I am not sure what that better way is.

The article goes into more detail about the number of folks who don't recieve adequate care. I would never begrudge Gifford's or anyone else for getting excellent care, I am just sad that there are so many who do not.

www.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 2/8/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Why not just compare every person out there with a brain injury that isn't getting help to Gifford. It's not her fault he has a brain injury and it's sad he doesn't have the proper insurance for assistance. Of course she is covered, she probably has the best health care out there.

sorry but I don't see your point with this thread. There are millions of people out there without insurance or the care they need. Why compare it to Gifford?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I stated in my OP that I did not begrudge her the best care she can recieve. Giffords is used as a point that when you are "somebody" you usually get better treatmet. Regardless of your health care plan or worker's comp.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
One other thing that should be considered is that even though their injuries sound familiar it does not make it so. The brain is a funny organ. What is one way with another is not the same as the next person.

Even if the bullets entered exactly the same and ended in the same spot does not mean that the individuals will come out the same in the end. Despite what some doctors would have you believe every brain is not the same as each person is also different. There are no certainties in medicine or injuries; it can always be different from one to another.

In part this might be due to the amount of available help, likely a large part of it is due to that. On the other hand even if the exact same care were provided for a similar wound does not mean the outcomes would have been any different.

Raist

top topics

join