It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House to vote Patriot Act extension

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
This bill seems to be the lesser of three proposed evils, with this particular bill only extending the current provisions until December of this year..

There are two proposals in the Senate, one by the Republicans seeking to make the provisions permanent which I expect to be defeated in favor of the the Senate majority Democrats proposed extending the provisions until 2013.

ktuu.com

The House is expected to vote today on extending certain provisions of the Patriot Act.

Three provisions of the act are set to expire at the end of the month. They deal with access to business records or anything else related to a terror investigation, such as getting roving wiretaps and being able to keep tabs on so-called lone wolf terrorists.

keywords being "lone wolf"... to me that means anyone the government chooses.. :shk:

here's a couple more articles to chew on..

US lawmakers clash on Patriot Act measures

Republican Senators Call For Permanent Extension Of Patriot Act Provisions

Tea Party Unlikely to Derail Patriot Act Renewal

Patriot Act Renewal Under Suspension of Rules

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I had always assumed the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution was quite clear in its definition:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Basically this amendment has been unarguably ignored because if it were not ignored then the Sunset Clause would not be in effect.

Also I encourage people to educate themselves upon the fact that the Sunset Clause was also used, albeit in a different name and format, with the Alien and Sedition Acts of the President Adams administration during the 1790s.

Yet I see only two US Senators so-far come out in opposition to these extensions. What happened to the ‘small government Tea Partiers’? I have always pegged the defining character of protecting our civil liberties as opposing the Sunset Clause of the USA Patriot Act. This means overwhelmingly the Tea Partiers shall be proving that they are not for protecting the US Constitution but rather are just another set of big government politicians like their predecessors.
edit on 2/8/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Correct Misoir. It's a shame that most Americans don't know about the Alien and Sedition acts. The parallels to the Patriot Act are amazing. Americans back in the 18th and 19th century were much more politically educated than today's American.

Of course back then they didn't have Dancing with the Stars.

It would be so nice if we could just get rid of the Patriot Act.

new topics

join