It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russians: Earth is doomed in 2036

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jexmo

You mean like the Asteroid the other week that passed by between us and the distance of the moon?

Oh wait, ... No that's right we're still here.

I was wondering why there was a reason i can into work this morning.

Guess that was it!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jexmo
Am I right in thinking that even if it passes us close enough it could cause us problems?

no a near earth pass by this object does not pose any risks, if it enters the atmosphere then thats another story.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'm a girl. Chill girl.
But dont worry .. I'm not worked up about it.

A girl eligible for free coffee at Mc Donalds.
Just kidding, so am I this year.

Me, I'd take the "odds" if I was still around:

In 2004, it was first thought that the asteroid would hit us in the first flyby in 2029. The initial calculation for the orbit was made using only two sets of observations, those made in June and a subsequent set made in December.....

From those observations, astronomers calculated a 1-in-200 chance that the asteroid would hit the Earth. If this was true, then this asteroid had become the most dangerous asteroid ever found. After taking more observations , the chances climbed even higher and by the end of December 2004, the chances of the Earth being struck by this asteroid climbed as high as 1-in-37.

As you may know, when one celestial object passes close to another one, their orbits are altered a bit by the gravitational forces interacting between the two bodies. Since Apophis is much smaller than the Earth (it is 320 meters - or 1050 feet- across), its orbit will be the one affected. As it flies by our humble little planet, its orbit will change....

The flyby will make the orbit a bit bigger and Apophis will travel a bit slower. How much the orbit changes depends on how close it gets to us. If it flies through a specific 610-meter wide region of space as it goes past us in 2029, then Apophis' and the Earth will be in the exact same spot 7 years later on Sunday, April 13th, 2036...

So, what are the chances that Apophis will pass through that tiny region of space? Rest assured that astronomers are observing like crazy to get the best possible estimate. Right now, it stands at 1-in-48,000.

Just for reference, there is a 1-in-354,319 chance that you'll be killed in an airplane accident.

DETAILED ANALYSIS

Must have been a slow news day at Drudge.

edit on 8-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
2036?!

Wait, there's only one coming at us at a time, right?

You'd have to have very little, to no faith in humanity whatsoever to think that we wouldn't come up with multiple solutions for this problem by then, if it was truly projected to have an impacting trajectory.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
These END of WORLD dates seem to be coming at us by the hour now.

Which one do you have your money on???

I got my money on none of them!!

Have fun

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The asteroid is supposed to come fairly close in December 2012 (gee .. sounds like a familiar date!)

No. It doesn't have an encounter with Earth in 2012. It has two in 2013; the closer one being on January 9th when (at 6:43am EST) it will be just under 9 million miles away, or ~37.6 times further away than the Moon is from the Earth.

Source

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Its being reported here in the news in Colombia,

www.elespacio.com.co...

reply to post by FlyersFan

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

This has been around for years, I remember reading about this in the 90's. 2036 is a long way away and it may be on that path now but there a lot that can influence an path through space, and who knows by that time HAARP may be able to destroy it.

I just read an article talking about this and say it was discovered in June 2004, bs!! Then another says, caused concern in 2004, this was known about a long time ago. I read about this way earlier than this!! I told my dad about this when I was a kid because he was a huge Stargate fan, and for those that don't know there is a character named Apophis.

wikipedia.org

99942 Apophis (pronounced /əˈpɒfɪs/, previously known by its provisional designation 2004 MN4) is a near-Earth asteroid that caused a brief period of concern in December 2004 because initial observations indicated a small probability (up to 2.7%) that it would strike the Earth in 2029. Additional observations provided improved predictions that eliminated the possibility of an impact on Earth or the Moon in 2029. However, a possibility remained that during the 2029 close encounter with Earth, Apophis would pass through a gravitational keyhole, a precise region in space no more than about 600 meters across[6], that would set up a future impact on April 13, 2036. This possibility kept the asteroid at Level 1 on the Torino impact hazard scale until August 2006, when the probability that Apophis will pass through the keyhole was determined to be very small. Apophis broke the record for the highest level on the Torino Scale, being, for only a short time, a level 4, before it was lowered.[7] Its diameter is approximately 270 meters (885 ft).

edit on 9-2-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu, 10 Feb 2011 22:03:40 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: Mod Edit:Added External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
By the time 2036 gets here I'll be around 90 and I won't care.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
OMG - what if nothing at all happens in 2012, we'll have nothing to panic about, nothing to gossip about and be paranoid over. Better get started on some new roumers way past that date so we have some doom and gloom to fall back on, ya know, just in case........

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
OMG!!!! You mean I have to wait until 2036 for the end of the world???? That sucks, because I was kinda hoping that 2012 deal would spare me from suffering through old age.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

There are some who think Jesus died/rose in 33 AD...
...because it was exactly 4000 years after the fall of Adam and Eve...
...so another 2000 years would bring up 2033 and the beginning of the seventh millenium...
...so the Russians may not be far off eh?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nuker
2036? Pretty sure we'll have a weapon that can blast asteroids out of the way by then

I'm sure they would have said that same thing 25 years ago about a potential asteroid impact in 2011.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

its big on youtube... apparently the new agers are pimping out this date for when 2012 fails.
edit on 10-2-2011 by tonypazzohome because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
This has been around for years, I remember reading about this in the 90's.

I just read an article talking about this and say it was discovered in June 2004, bs!!
Do you have a source for it being discovered before 2004? If so please post a link.

99942 Apophis (pronounced /əˈpɒfɪs/, previously known by its provisional designation 2004 MN4) is a near-Earth asteroid that caused a brief period of concern in December 2004 because initial observations indicated a small probability (up to 2.7%) that it would strike the Earth in 2029.

Source? And where are the EX tags? Please check these links about the tags and plagiarism:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by robbinsj
[mod edit: added required external source tags]
Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

I don't care how big it is or where it hits. Just as long as it takes out people who can't spell or string a sentence together! I once heard that the US has the best education system in the world, but after visiting this site and (with much difficulty) reading a large number of threads and replies, I beg to differ!

God knows how you lot ever became a superpower! But then I suppose most bullies are thick as mince. Might I suggest a course of literacy. Unless of course you don't know what that means.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybernetic_dude

I am tired of waiting till 2012, and now I have to wait for 2036 to see the "end of the world" (if I am still living in this planet that long)?

edit on 8-2-2011 by cybernetic_dude because: (no reason given)

oh that is funny... i also have been waiting to die , my whole life...

lets just enjoy the ride people...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
yea a guy from the year 2036 says this doesn't happen.I'm sure all of you are familiar with the famous time traveler John Titor?he clams nothing happened in 2012 of cataclysmic significance.he did predict a nuclear world war started by Russia in 2015.nothing to worry about otherwise.....

edit on 25-2-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
the only thing we really half to worry about in the mid to late 2030's is the UNIX 2038 count down error for computers around the world!this would cause major problems for the operating systems running on the UNIX system.dont worry nothing really happens to us humans other than the world wide frustration.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 1mabeliever

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join