It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russians: Earth is doomed in 2036

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
*That's the title from the headline at DRUDGE where I picked this up from.

Who ya' gunna' believe? Russian scientists or NASA?
Or does neither know what it's talking about?

Christian Science Monitor

Apophis asteroid: Russian scientists are warning that a rock the size of two football fields is poised to strike our planet in 2036. But NASA says the odds are just one in a quarter million

A few Russian scientists are warning that the Apophis asteroid will pass through a tiny 'gravitational keyhole' in 2029, putting it on a collision course with Earth. NASA says that the odds of this happening are vanishingly small.

The asteroid is supposed to come fairly close in December 2012 (gee .. sounds like a familiar date!) and then even more close in 2029. Both times it'll give scientists a better idea of it's course. But many things can change that course over the years .. rouge asteroids and comets ... space anomalies ... etc

Me? I'm betting we get nailed in some way at some point by this thing.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Those russians are saying this with a lot of certainty,i hope they are wrong,for my own well being im gonna go with nasa on this one and stay ignorant

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
actually op you are wrong, it isnt going to be anywhere near earth in 2012, not sure where that website pulled that from, it is going to pass us in 2029 coming fairly close and then again in 2036 where if it hits a keyhole then the earth could be in trouble.

i do think there is more to this because if you remember back when it was first discovered even nasa said we were doomed, bares watching but not for along time.

p.s i remember reading somewhere that it is out of veiw and has been for a couple years and will be back in view sometime in 2013 when i guess more info can be analized as to its trajectory.
edit on 8-2-2011 by Gixxer because: edited to add

edit on 8-2-2011 by Gixxer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I am tired of waiting till 2012, and now I have to wait for 2036 to see the "end of the world" (if I am still living in this planet that long)?

edit on 8-2-2011 by cybernetic_dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Russian astronomers have predicted that asteroid Apophis may strike Earth on April 13, 2036...

Its likely collision with Earth may occur on April 13,2036," Professor Leonid Sokolov of the St. Petersburg State University said.
The scientist said, however, the chance of a collision in 2036 was extremely slim saying that the asteroid would likely disintegrate into smaller parts and smaller collisions with Earth could occur in the following years.

en.rian.ru...

No one really knows yet, Russia, USA, China etc included.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Well I get a massive birthday party 4 days before so I'll make sure I get a good send off

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
theres been a topic on this already

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
2036? Pretty sure we'll have a weapon that can blast asteroids out of the way by then

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
OK, taking the worst case scenario, and we do get hit.

It was mentioned by the OP that this thing is the size of 2 Football pitches. So 200 Yards wide? although according to wikipedia to it 270m in diameter

I am not sure that a rock of this size would be big enough to wipe out the earth, or do enough damage for us to say WERE DOOMED!!

If it hit a city yes there would be lots of squishiness and general damage and dissarray.

For example, the latest guesstimate from NASA is that a strike would kick out 510 Megatons of blast fuelled fun.

Krakatoa was around 200

Where as the rock that smote the dinos was around 1,000,000,000 MT, which is the "ELE" winter ice age forming fear soaked sandwich that everyone here wants a bite off.

But in fact would most likely affect some thousands of square miles So maybe the size of New York!

That should clean the place up a bit!!.
edit on 8/2/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
football size rock you say . well I assure you unless your right under it you will live afterwords just fine. at most earth may get a extra cold year or two unless it hits water. then if you live on a costal city head to high ground and expect to rebuild.
heck right now this size rock is just the right size to help our economy
say it going to hit in the Atlantic and by that time we know for sure 6 months befor it gets here so we evacuate the east cost citys .
it hits a 1/2 mile tidalwave takes out all the east cost city to 2 miles in land and lower Florida is completely underwater . now rember we had 6 months to get every one to leave the areas. So No one has died except the fools who refused to leave .
The next day well now we go from 11 million unemployed to need 50 million to rebuild all thous citys so jobs come back every one is making money over fist in few years you will never know there had been arock taht hit.
and a ocean hit wont have long tearm problems .
a land hit say Arizonian would make say a crator 1/2 mile and 500 feet deep .Humm dont we have one of them already?
well this puts a enough dust in the air to give us say two cold year or even 3 if you like .
BUt the growning seasion will make it just fine we are not talking about ice age here . so wile energy cost will go up for a wile we will live just fine. But sadly this time it hit in the middle of noware very few had to move and only a couple small towns need to be rebuilt so in this senaro no eatra jobs to 99.99% of the world this is just another news story untill they turn back to ideal.
soor guys you will need a MUCH MUCH bigger rock to be our doom say 7 miles would pull the trick but even then we would probly make it humans that is the earth would defiantly be changed for a 1000 years and 3 billion people would die.
but because you all want to die sop bad ill let you in o a granted killer no more no one as earh its self will be toast.
1 sun expands rapidly to Venus orbit earths average temp goes to 900%
2 a roge planet (neberu) lol the size of the moon earth becomes a moltian ball again .
3 a roge planet the size of earth or larger well earth is going history not one grain of sand left even.
4 a small black hole (Dear god please turn off the vacum cleaner )
5 Dust (what did i say dust will kill the earth totaly? yea more importantly this Dust is so thing you cant even see it . But how can Dust mear Dust kill the earth ?
well science calls these Dusty area nebulas and unless theres a sun in it you cant even see it.
a clouded day for our solar system a cloudy 25.,000 years 100,000 years
this Dust cuts down the sun light reaching earth and welcome to snowball earth as it freazes from pole to pole.
the good news here is sooner or later the clouds will move on a earth will warm and wile every land animal and plant is going the deep oceans have ,made it just fine and life wont even start from scrach as theres still fish and what not.
6 another solar system collides with ours .
now now now this isnt the end of our system but we could easly gain a planet or two or louse a planet or two as the two stars fight over who gets to keep what planet.
but be taht it may earths orbit could end up being anware from right against the sun (which ever gets it)
to being the next neberu out in the orata belt.
or maybe both stars louse this battle and earth flys off into the galaxy on a billion year trip no star to call home.
well theres a few more taht i havent listed the point is killing the earth isnt so easy and destroying it is even harder and in most cases life of some kind will make it.
edit on 8-2-2011 by xxcalbier because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
I am not sure that a rock of this size would be big enough to wipe out the earth, or do enough damage for us to say WERE DOOMED!!

It's not a planet killer .. but tens of millions .. perhaps more .. would be at risk.
Depends on where it hit.
Info Here

The result is a narrow corridor a few miles wide, called the "path of risk", extending across southern Russia, across the north Pacific (relatively close to the coastlines of California and Mexico), then right between Nicaragua and Costa Rica, crossing northern Colombia and Venezuela, ending in the Atlantic, just before reaching Africa.[21][22] Using the computer simulation tool NEOSim, it was estimated that the hypothetical impact of Apophis in countries such as Colombia and Venezuela, which are in the path of risk, could have more than 10 million casualties.[23] An impact several thousand miles off the West Coast of the US would produce a devastating tsunami.

.. and then there are the earthquakes due to such a hit ... and the aftershocks .. and the volcano eruptions .. and etc etc .. it's not just where it hits, but the aftereffects as well. Not a 'planet killer' .. but it's definately a potential massive people killer.
edit on 2/8/2011 by FlyersFan because: figuring out why the words are too small.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gixxer
actually op you are wrong, it isnt going to be anywhere near earth in 2012, not sure where that website pulled that from,

Probably from the fact that it'll be close enough at the end of 2012 for scientists to get a radar read on it's trajectory, etc. Not close enough to hit us of course, but close enough flyby that they can get more data.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Oh I don't deny that!!

Indeed should say 20 million people get it. then it's like world war II all over again! just in a quicker time frame.

But with a planet approaching 7 Billion. and the supposed de-population plan of the NWO that everyone says is on the cards.

Don't expect so see them spending more than $2.50 on shifting this thing out the way. if anything it will amout to a homless drunk standing on a mountain shouting "away with ye"

Even if 1 BILLION get it.

We still have 6 Billion left which gives you odd of 1 in a hell of a lot of being affected by this, and as we still have 25 years to go. Chill man. it's all good.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

i think we will all be long gone when and if apophys hits earth....
2nd

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Am I right in thinking that even if it passes us close enough it could cause us problems?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Sorry to say this but I'd actually believe the Russians, a long time before I would believe NASA.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
Chill man. it's all good.

I'm a girl. Chill girl.
But dont worry .. I'm not worked up about it.
I'm just bringing forward a news article.
Who do you trust ... the Russians or NASA?
There is reason to believe neither ..

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder

I think you are probably right.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Hmmm who would I trust Russians or NASA??? Is that the only choice I have??

Personally I would rather see that groundhog animal and see if he can see his shadow!

If he can that's fine

if not, it's obviously Apophis blocking the sun, so time to run!!

To be honest I am just feeling rather apathetic today. So really could not care less.

It's just funny to see the Deep Impact / Armageddon believers running around, trying to find some deep core drillers, or prepares to marry off their underage kids in some twisted 3rd world forced marriage situation in a vain hope for human survival, When in fact theres a good chance nothing will happen, and if it does, although serious the consequences, for MOST it will just be grainy pictures of the TV nightly hologram HD3D smellovision news cast. You know just before the switch over to the Oscars or something more reality TV driven!!!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
reply to post by lektrofellon

2nd

that's pretty sad really if you honestley think that, not bashing you in anyway but if you really think humans have less then 24 years left on earth i think your a very depressed person or have spent way to long and take way to much seriously on websites like this one.

i hope things look up for you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join