It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican lawmaker: Time to 'empty the clip' on illegal immigration

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by retiredTxn

This probably has more to do with being responsible in a leadership position than being politically correct. There's really no way to "misinterpret" those words.
really if you think of the cons of illegal immigration as bullets and the clip as your point of view his words make total sense. To people who are just out to find fault in anybody whos against illegal immigration you can twist his meaning to suit your agenda like you did. Really you think the republicans are just going to drop what they are doing and start shooting mexicans at the border? I highly doubt it! This is just your passive aggressive of trying to find fault with his point of view. Personally i hate this argument as i don't want to single anybody out and point a finger at them so most of the time i stay out of it. But i have watched as countless Mexican Americans have attacked political leaders that have opposed illegal immigration. 99% of the time they attack the person because they know they cant defend their point of view. They twist words and ruin peoples careers to suit they agenda of a free border even though they know its killing us Americans that are not of Mexican decent trying to hold up the weight of this country.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Words, words, words, why do we give such power to words. Where does that power that we give these words come from? Is it some kind of magic spell that captivates our imagination, that blinds us from what is being expressed? Where does this phenomenal power come from, contained in these vessels we call words? If I put out a word of my own random choosing, would it hit all with the same velocity and devastation? What if the word I chose was not intended to cause harm but was instead meant to heal? Would the healing come from the word or would it come from somewhere else? Who decides what power a word actually has? Shall I pass the buck to the speaker of the word, or should I look within?

If a man says he hates me, should I count him as an enemy? Such a powerful word is hate, surely it must mean that the person saying it despises my existence, has found me unworthy of his love, even wishes I were dead!

No, I will not give such power to the word hate. Hate is a good word. Hate is the word that lets me know when a member of my family is hurting inside. Hate is the word that lets me know who needs love and attention, that they may be healed. Hate is the word that tells me a Brother or Sister has been harmed and wishes to tell me their pain. Hate is a good word.

But, hate isn't the word addressed in this discussion. No, hate is not present at all. "Empty the clip" is the words bantered about here, and "Illegal Immigration". What power have we given these words?

Empty the clip - take immediate action, use everything at our disposal, we must defend the homeland, we are UNDER ATTACK! Fear, fear is the power we have at work here, not hate. Fear of loosing something valued, fear of gaining something not wanted, fear of what??

Illegal Immigration - The unwanted, the unwelcome, the undesired, the strangers, the infiltrators, the criminals, the foreigners, those we DO NOT WANT!!!!!!! Our Brothers and Sisters, those who have nothing and only want a piece of what we have, those who see our land as blessed and wish to join, those who hope for a better future and know it does not exist where they are, those who see an opportunity for a brighter tomorrow, if only we would share.

Oh but the crime, the gangs, the violence, the loss of our culture, the loss of our language, the loss of WHO WE ARE!

But, you are HUMAN!

No, I am not Human, I am an American!!!!

But, They are God's children!

No, they are NOT my God's Children!

But God is everywhere!!

No, My God is not in them!!!

I see. The lesser can never BE the greater.

My friends, when will we open our eyes and see what we are doing? Can you not see that we are creating so much division where there ought not be any? This world is all of ours. It is ours to share. We would not have the problems we do if we would just stop oppressing each other and start sharing and building a better tomorrow.

The violence and gangs are not caused by your Brothers and Sisters. It is caused by them having to fight, kill, and maim for their survival. Because we will not share what we have. It is caused by the "illegal" trade of narcotics. Narcotics, a substance you put in your body, which without doing so is perfectly harmless. "Illegal", you are not allowed to put said substance in YOUR body. YOUR BODY. YOUR BODY.

We are not short on work that needs to be done in this country. We have a Gulf that needs to be cleaned, we have crops that need to be planted, we have homeless to house, we have children to feed, we have roads that need repairing, we have hospitals that need to be built, we have doctors and nurses that need to be trained, we have a nation to clean up and make new.

We do not have a shortage of resources, we have lumber, we have iron, we have people willing to work, we have the technology to do it, and we certainly have the time.

What we do not have is money. Money, paper, paper in which you put your trust, paper in which you worship, paper that is your God. Paper which controls you. Paper which is your Master. Paper which is the POWER.

Open your eyes my friends. You are being divided. You are being categorised. You are being shackled. You are being warehoused.

We are MAN, and we can do much better without the division.

Are you ready for the Plan yet?

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 8-2-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

He didn't "mean" to offend illegal immigrants, but he did.

If they are so offended they can quit breaking the law and GO HOME where they wont' be offended.

BTW .. CULLMAN ALABAMA ... it's a small town in the middle of nowhere Alabama.
I lived in Huntsville - north of Cullman - for 9 years. Visited Cullman many times.
I'm absolutely sure the people of Cullman understood exactly what this fella was saying.
And I'm equally sure that the people of Cullman dont' give a hoot what all the outsiders
think of what is going on in their town .... and what is going on is NOTHING.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Liberal flapping their lips about "dangerous" verbage is a one way street and everyone knows it. The dreamy utopians, at a recent protest, suggested Clarence Thomas have his toes cut off and fed to him. Then there was there multiple threats in response to the media's demonizing of Palin - "kill her."

That is the whole point of liberalism's hate speech control efforts. They have no intention of equal application or equal justice before any such unconstitutional law. Liberals love hate speech as long as it is their own.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Can you imagine the hypocritical outrage if a Democrat had of said something similar about ex gov. Palin. Such as "put her in the cross hairs"

Of course it's just a reference to a surveying instrument.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I ignored it because it doesn't fit. This guy did NOT use it the wrong way or at the wrong time.

To me, and to thousands of others, he did use it in the wrong way.

I don't really care what the "locals" think about what he said...it doesn't change my opinion that this man is a moron.

Like I said...I'm not surprised at all that a Alabama republican or his supporters wouldn't be troubled by him using a metaphor to relate violence towards minorities.

And people are right...he was speaking to his audience...I guess if you are speaking to a bunch of racists...it is acceptable to use racist sayings. I bet he would be great at a KKK rally.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

My passive-aggressive way?
Here's a clue...I don't give a flying flip what he says. He can say, "Go throw rocks at the Mexicans sneaking over the boarder," for all I care. Those would be his words. That would be his choice, and any consequences would be his to deal with.

He made news. I personally find it all pretty funny and think he might not be too bright given that his timing and his choice of words are perhaps not so great for him. Apparently his constituents and some other groups don't find it as funny.

But, hey...this will give him a headache for awhile, maybe make other people see him in a bit of a different light, and then he'll be back at it.
edit on 2/8/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

"Time to "shoot" illegal immigration"
=
"Time to shoot hispanics"

So, now only hispanics are illegal immigrants? Come on man. Now you are being racist. Don't forget about the people from India they just caught crossing the southern border. How about the fact that people sneak here from China on cargo ships?

Your disconnect with reality has become blatantly obvious. Empty the clip does not literally mean go shoot something. It is a metaphor for bringing forth all resources to handle an issue. For some reason you don't seem to want to believe the people that actually use the phrase. You have a definition set in your mind and make no attempt at understanding.

How about you listen to the people from the region that use the language. Otherwise you are like the American traveller that goes to England and complains they don't speak proper English.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sara123123

He's a conservative/republican? What about liberals? All the Mexican groups that took offense are liberals? No conservatives took offense? What?

Sorry, I didn't even pay attention to that, but then again, I don't label or see labels as anything but shortcut and lazy ways to categorize people as "friend" or "foe" in some illusory battle some people seem to be having. I try to keep it at the human and individual level. Makes way more sense to me that way.

P.S. That's terrible about the toes. What idiot said that? And who on earth agreed? Every single __fill-in-the-blank__ person who just has to be just like him or her?
edit on 2/8/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

So, now only hispanics are illegal immigrants? Come on man. Now you are being racist.

Oh yeah...people don't equate "illegal immigration" with hispanics....ever....my bad.

And we are just concerned about the northern border as the southern border right?

And people hate seeing signs in Chinese in China Town just as much as they hate seeing signs in Spanish...right?

You are lying to yourself if you don't think that this guy, and most people, don't think "hispanics" when they think "illegal immigration". Don't lie to yourself.

He even says it himself:

"No way was I urging anyone to do harm to Hispanics or illegal immigrants,"

But yeah...he wasn't refering to Hispanics at all...even though in his "apology" he specifically mentions hispanics.

And exactly how would that make me a "racist"? Which race am I being hateful or discriminatory against?

Your disconnect with reality has become blatantly obvious. Empty the clip does not literally mean go shoot something. It is a metaphor for bringing forth all resources to handle an issue. For some reason you don't seem to want to believe the people that actually use the phrase. You have a definition set in your mind and make no attempt at understanding.

I understand that it is an actual phrase and that people use it...this guy used it at the wrong time and directing it at the wrong subject...which is why he is getting all kinds of negative feedback about it.

You do realize that there are many people upset over this right...not just me?

How about you listen to the people from the region that use the language. Otherwise you are like the American traveller that goes to England and complains they don't speak proper English.

Did you not read any of the articles that said he just got done telling a "joke" about how "armed southerners" handle problems? That they "empty the clip" when confronted with a mugger, unlike democrats that just talk to them or a republican that only takes one shot?

Buy yeah...he wasn't refering to anyone actually using a gun

edit on 8-2-2011 by MindSpin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

When others from other areas insist that he must have meant "shoot hispanics," they are being intentionaly ignorant. They are being overly sensitive to what they percieve as a threat. Instead of listening to people from the region that can explain a phrase they put their stamp on it and close their mind. That is being willfully ignorant.

Sorry if that hurts people's feelings. However it is the truth.

By saying people need a thinker skin, I am addressing this issue and many more. People tend to walk around looking for a way to become offended or to paint others as evil. People spend so much time looking for a boogeyman they become hyper sensitive. That definitely applies in this situation. A misunderstanding of local dialect could easily be fixed with open ears. Instead people open their mouth and start screaming, "I'm offended."

I guess some how people outside of the region understand what he meant "in his head" more than people from the region.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
reply to post by FlyersFan

I ignored it because it doesn't fit. This guy did NOT use it the wrong way or at the wrong time.

To me, and to thousands of others, he did use it in the wrong way.

I don't really care what the "locals" think about what he said...it doesn't change my opinion that this man is a moron.

Like I said...I'm not surprised at all that a Alabama republican or his supporters wouldn't be troubled by him using a metaphor to relate violence towards minorities.

And people are right...he was speaking to his audience...I guess if you are speaking to a bunch of racists...it is acceptable to use racist sayings. I bet he would be great at a KKK rally.

Go to this site and read the full story. Cullman Times

For someone to infer he was speaking to a bunch of racists, is just clouding the situation. It offends me and others when people make statements and have to throw in the race card, as you have done repeatedly throughout your posts. You are obviously passionate about your beliefs on this matter. I admire that, regardless of which position one takes. Just because others don't agree with you, don't stoop to race baiting.

I'm not trying to argue, I just want everyone to breathe deeply, go read the LOCAL account of this non event, and let this move to the back burner so we can move forward and actually do something about our illegal immigration problem, rather than take a speech apart word by word in hopes of finding something to fight about.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

My passive-aggressive way?
Here's a clue...I don't give a flying flip what he says. Then why post and then take a bias view point on the subject if you didn't care? It is clear to just about everyone that you do care or you would have not posted it. i don't need a clue as i haven't flip flopped on the issue or gone the route of middle school student and just said i didn't care. Personally I'm not trying to attack you i just want to point out where people tend to attack the person and not the subject which i did with you. Its called a straw man defense and it doesn't hold any weight. This type of journalism is bias and not good for the American people. It paints a picture that anybody who is against illegal immigration is somehow a closet racist by misconstruing the meaning of the message by only taking the extreme literal translation of the words said.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

How about what I think... If your Illegal and you are offended, go to the nearest Sheriffs dept. and report your outrage.. Pack your bags first though, in my perfect world, there would be 10K greyhound buses awaiting your complaints!

"But, Mr. legal American, who will build your wall after you chase us out?"

Answer: Americans!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Go to this site and read the full story. Cullman Times

I did read the full story...I also read the comments...most of which were offended by his comments and angry with him.

I would assume those are locals commenting on a local story....so what was your point again?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

On that we can agree. I would have preferred that the headline of this story had just said "Lawmaker" rather than "Republican" lawmaker. That he's a Republican matters why? It doesn't unless it's meant to fuel a fire...a fire that already has had waaaaaaaaaaaay too much gasoline poured on it.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Resurrectio

How about what I think... If your Illegal and you are offended, go to the nearest Sheriffs dept. and report your outrage.. Pack your bags first though, in my perfect world, there would be 10K greyhound buses awaiting your complaints!

So you are saying only "illegals" would be offended by this statement???

I'm an American citizen...born and raised...and I'm offended by his statement. Do you want to ship me out of the country as well?

I thought you loved free speech...but apparently you don't.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
ITT:

People who did not pass the metaphor/figure of speech section in 6th grade language arts.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   

I linked to the Gadsden Times in the OP. That was local too. Just for the record. Virtually the same stories, all of them.

link   

Comprehension skills?

The comments are overwhelmingly AGAINST illegal immigration, and the comments that are angry with his words, make statements like "So I see racism is still thriving in the south"...

Get facts straight before you spread lies!

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join