It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terror Alert for Liverpool, UK?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The only thing that i can think of today is the Liverpool FC remembers the 23 victims of the Munich air disaster who died on this day in 1958

Unless there was some fly past in honer of this?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ALadInsane

You saw a couple of fighter jets, and your first assumption is that this is evidence of a terrorist threat to Liverpool.

If there was an imminent terrorist thread against Liverpool you would know about it under the governments CONTEST strategy. How many times have you turned on the news to find a story about how security has been increased for whatever reason.

You have also said in your thread that “a fighter jet has been scrambled twice in less than 24 hours” you don’t know that, all you know is that you’ve seen a couple of fighter jets. Fighter jets don’t actually have any role in combating the average terrorist threat, sure if they thought a passenger jet was about to smash into the city centre it would be intercepted but if the number 47 bus is about to go up then no. Jets are also used to boost public confidence in the aftermath of a terrorist attack, but that’s just psychological rather than operational. In any case the point is mute because these were just two jets flying around.

So no I do not think you have found evidence of a increased terrorist threat to Liverpool, I think you have seen two fighter jets on a training exercise

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

The Munich Air disaster was on the 6th February and involved members of the Manchester United football team, not the Liverpool football team.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I`m in Liverpool and have not noticed anything.
Shame that guy wants to keep picking at you.
Seems to be the way with people nowadays......as soon as they see a flaw....they dive in.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
OP - Ignore the insults, thanks for posting.

Liverpool, just down the road from me

- Interesting, as i've never seen a jet circling the city before, so I DO think your post is relevant, even if some other posters are being accusatory.

Nothing I can find online about it, but surely others may have seen it.

Could very well have been a training exercise?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Am from liverpool too aint seen jets tho, an jus to clarify there is a R.A.F base near southport R.A.F Woodvale,my guess would be an exercise round the area,

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown

You saw a couple of fighter jets, and your first assumption is that this is evidence of a terrorist threat to Liverpool.

If there was an imminent terrorist thread against Liverpool you would know about it under the governments CONTEST strategy. How many times have you turned on the news to find a story about how security has been increased for whatever reason.

You have also said in your thread that “a fighter jet has been scrambled twice in less than 24 hours” you don’t know that, all you know is that you’ve seen a couple of fighter jets. Fighter jets don’t actually have any role in combating the average terrorist threat, sure if they thought a passenger jet was about to smash into the city centre it would be intercepted but if the number 47 bus is about to go up then no. Jets are also used to boost public confidence in the aftermath of a terrorist attack, but that’s just psychological rather than operational. In any case the point is mute because these were just two jets flying around.

So no I do not think you have found evidence of a increased terrorist threat to Liverpool, I think you have seen two fighter jets on a training exercise

Cheers for the response, however at no point did I say there were two out together. And I've already discussed the use of the word 'scrambled' so I'm not going to do so again simply because you can't read an entire thread.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Agreed on the training exercise. Seems the general consensus and that is taking into account the more aggressive posts once you filter out their need to deliver their response in an unnecessary accusatory manner

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ste313

There are no jets based at RAF Woodvale. Only these propellor training aircraft.

(In my time as an air cadet I used to pilot the then Chipmunk or Bulldog aircraft that these replaced from Woodvale)

I have managed to discover that

www.mod.uk...

SMALL SCALE EXERCISE - 2 FEB - 11 FEB 11
This is a mixed aircraft exercise taking place in LFA 4 and LFA 7 (L7 is basically Wales)

Liverpool actually comes under L8 and the description of L8 says

Much of LFA 8 (42%), particularly around the outer edge is unusable for military low flying because of large avoidance areas over Liverpool/Manchester, Blackpool/Blackburn, Leeds/Bradford, Derby/Nottingham and the West Midlands conurbation. In addition, there is controlled airspace immediately above this Area for civil air routes into the Region's international airports. Furthermore, the high moors of the Pennines are often subject to low cloud and mist. As a result, this Area is the least-used on the UK Mainland.

The exercise involving L7 might explain what you saw and the jets could have been turning around over a clear part of Liverpool. Depending on your view they might have even been turning over Wirral.

edit on 8/2/2011 by DisbeIief because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Ok fair enough you can’t even be bothered to post a proper reply.

My point stands seeing a couple of fighter jets does not prove that there is a heightened terrorist threat towards Liverpool. To suggest that it does is just fear mongering

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

My point stands seeing a couple of fighter jets does not prove that there is a heightened terrorist threat towards Liverpool. To suggest that it does is just fear mongering

I think you'd be wholly justified in your bitter remarks, if the OP hadn't used a question mark in his title, but since he did, i think you should give him a little slack, no?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

No I should not it is my interpretation form this thread that the OP believes, that because he saw a couple of fighter jets that there was or still is a increased terrorist threads towards Liverpool. Such a belief in my views is not accurate and clearly wrong with the objective to scare monger and grab attention by misrepresenting the facts and claiming personal observations and beliefs as being factual.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

No I should not it is my interpretation form this thread that the OP believes, that because he saw a couple of fighter jets that there was or still is a increased terrorist threads towards Liverpool. Such a belief in my views is not accurate and clearly wrong with the objective to scare monger and grab attention by misrepresenting the facts and claiming personal observations and beliefs as being factual.

Well, i was brought up in and around that area, and although 'some' airbases do exist in the surrounding areas, it's very, very uncommon to see military airforce above the city of Liverpool.

So, in a way, I can kind of understand the OP's worry, especially if the OP is from Liverpool. I'd be concerned myself really.

Ok, I can see your point in how the title may be a tad alarmist, but as I say the OP was speculating and not claiming.

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

If that is how you interpreted it, then so be it, I personally can't see how you would come to such a conclusion. If the thread title was:

"Liverpool on Terror Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Then, I would agree with you.

However, the OP was merely concerned about a couple of events that he considered "out of the norm" and was therefore inquiring members of ATS for any further help.....

Is there anywhere I can look that would inform me of flights like this taking place?

Scaremongering doesn't even come into it.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I didn't claim to believe anything. Nor did I suggest anything, I asked a question and presented what I'd found out for myself thus far. This has been pointed out to you at least twice now. Also, I can't be bothered posting a 'proper' reply? What would you like? For me to apologise and say 'Yep, you are right, I was fearmongering and making wild accusations'? Ain't gonna happen I'm afraid because I did neither (reading posts 'properly' would of helped you).

I made enquiries as to where I could go find information related to what I presented in the OP for myself, as a resident who lives 5 minutes walk from the city centre. In other words it was happening right over the heads of people I cared about. And I'm not allowed to question that, or show a hint of concern?

Your replies have been far from helpful and a waste of numerous posters time so I wouldn't be too hasty in deeming what is and isn't a 'proper' response.

I've concurred in a reply to a previous post that it was possibly a training exercise (again I have to suggesting reading a thread to you) yet still you persist in trying to get a rise out of people. Grow up.
edit on 9/2/11 by ALadInsane because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/2/11 by ALadInsane because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Hi there i googled fighter jet today cos i seen one fly over the city today 9th.thought that was wierd over a city like.
then walking home i seen a big army truck heading into the city.
might meen nothing like but just had to google it. good that someone else seen it and am not going mad

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DisbeIief

thanks for the info, i jus knew was a R.A.F base there visited back in the 90s with the school

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Then the answer is basically no, as i explained in my first post. Seeing a couple of jets does not mean there is a increased terrorist thread towards Liverpool, you should not need to create an entire thread to have this question answered for you.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Coming from Liverpool as well I can understand your concern but this issimply the terror effect. It is a key weapon terrorists have, they want to make you feel unsafe and uncertain the state can protect you. In addition to actually killing and maiming, the real victory of terrorist actions is in causing fear. When you see the summary of the effects of 10 years of global terror on the link below, I can understand why we do get frightened.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

North Wales here buddy,Friday at approx.midday,thats friday the 11th,a saw a freaking Apache attack helicopter fly over,heading in the direction of RAF valley/Snowdonia.I am not joking,I swear on my life.

I heard the thing first,and ran outside as the noise was unique to me.(I know the regular sounds of planes/copters,even the odd chinnook or mil.helicopter,but this was a different thing altogether).
What a beast of engine noise,with hard thumping piston sounds,but in a different league than a chinook,more punchy and air ripping somehow...
Could clearly see the radome atop the rotors,and the "wings" which hold the hellfires etc.

Anyhow I got worried and spoke to my Dad about the event,and he told me he had read in the Daily Post(Yep the Wales version of your city paper
)
that military (air based)excercises would be talking place in the area of NW England/N wales over the last week or so.
He read this a couple of weeks ago he said.
Maybe you saw something connected to these excercises.
Man I wish I got a photo of that Apachce,but I was too awestruck to go grab my camera sadly,or it would have made a good ATS thread I rek.
The noise of that things engine was really something to behold,god knows the fear you would experience if one was actually attacking you.
What a beast.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join