It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark chocolate may be healthier than fruit juices for a healthy heart: study

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish
I've been to several cardiologists for hearth palpitations. At no point did they recommend or even ask about vitamins. All they did was take echo cardiograms and stress tests. You'd be surprised how little most doctors know about actual health. Food is the best medicine. And doctors aren't paid to prescribe food.

Problem is, doctors can't prescribe alternative solutions for the treatment of, say, heart disease. They can, however, prescribe a Statin drug and then suggest their patient exercise and eat healthier, maybe even refer them to a nutritionist/dietitian. But if a doctor simply says to eat a specific diet or take a specific supplement and the patient then goes on to have a cardiac event and die...that's not bueno.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Originally posted by freedish
I've been to several cardiologists for hearth palpitations. At no point did they recommend or even ask about vitamins. All they did was take echo cardiograms and stress tests. You'd be surprised how little most doctors know about actual health. Food is the best medicine. And doctors aren't paid to prescribe food.

Problem is, doctors can't prescribe alternative solutions for the treatment of, say, heart disease. They can, however, prescribe a Statin drug and then suggest their patient exercise and eat healthier, maybe even refer them to a nutritionist/dietitian. But if a doctor simply says to eat a specific diet or take a specific supplement and the patient then goes on to have a cardiac event and die...that's not bueno.

Exactly...doctors don't know squat about actual health so I wouldn't take the advice from this article since it was gotten from a cardiologist.

My point- even if dark chocolate does help your heart, it may be damaging to other organs/health functions in the body that a heart doctor wouldn't know about. IF you're looking for a quick fix to a problem see a doctor. If you want over all better health, see a nutritionist. Or just eat REAL food and get lots of sunlight.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

If only there were doctors that specialized in research.. and.. they did research to increase the knowledge on things that would affect the heart..

If only..

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Just because it never come up with your specific issue doesn't mean you have the knowledge of a cardiologist inside and out. I think it's ignorant that you think doctors are stupid. It's easy to criminalize and demonize some one you don't know, never will be, and probably will never understand.

I hope you have better logic than "I learned it on the net." Because I have seen some of the dumbest medical advice from guys who sit around on the internet that misinterpret studies, and health facts and try to build this idea that they can do better than everyone else. Just because of poorly conducted research (Much like the article presented.)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by freedish

I think it's ignorant that you think doctors are stupid. It's easy to criminalize and demonize some one you don't know, never will be, and probably will never understand.

I hope you have better logic than "I learned it on the net." Because I have seen some of the dumbest medical advice from guys who sit around on the internet that misinterpret studies, and health facts and try to build this idea that they can do better than everyone else. Just because of poorly conducted research (Much like the article presented.)

Never said I thought they were stupid. They are very intelligent people. I've been to tons of doctors. I know some of them very well. I used to spend hours in my chiropracters office every day asking tons of questions and learning about bone, nerve and organ structure.

It's funny how you're telling me not to demonize people I don't know, yet you seem to be doing the same to me. You obviously have no clue who I am or how much I know about this topic. For all you know I could have gone to med school and have a 4 year degree in health and nutrition. But even if I did....does that mean I am perfectly knowledgeable on health? Certainly not. Doctors are often wrong. Did you know that 10 years ago doctors recommended putting on 50SPF sunscreen to avoid cancer, and now they are saying to not wear it at all, but to get a base tan first.

It's hard to know who is right when they are constantly giving conflicting advise, and when they are constantly revising what they say.

Maybe you should do some research too and come to your own conclusions instead of taking advice from everyone else.
edit on 15-2-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join