It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark chocolate may be healthier than fruit juices for a healthy heart: study

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Forget fruit juice - chocolate could be an even better way to boost your health, new research shows.

Dark chocolate and cocoa have more anti-oxidant capacity than fruit juice, according to a study released Sunday in the Chemistry Central Journal.

Chocolate products also have more heart-healthy flavanols and polyphenol, the study found. The good news doesn't apply to hot cocoa mix, which is processed.

"When looking for a sweet snack, a square of dark chocolate might, in fact, be your healthiest choice," said Suzanne Steinbaum, a cardiologist at Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan.

She wasn't surprised by the findings, noting the anti-oxidants keep arteries in tip-top shape and help prevent heart disease.

The study, conducted by the Hershey Co., compared cocoa powder and products with fruit-based powders and juices. Cocoa came out ahead on the anti-oxidant scale over blueberry, cranberry and pomegranate powder.

The differences between pomegranate juice and dark chocolate weren't significant, researchers found.

Still, dark chocolate trumped other juices in the anti-oxidant test.

"Cocao seeds should be considered a 'superfruit' and products derived from cocao seed extracts, such as natural cocoa powder and dark chocolate, as 'superfoods,'" the researchers said.

source

You've now got yourself a very good excuse to eat (dark) chocolate.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

This is the weirdest coincidence.

Someone gave me a block of dark choc, 50% cocoa, a few days ago.

I just saw it in the fridge and had some - delicious - then this post comes up!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Says who? A cardiologist? They don't study the affects of minerals and vitamins for the heart- they study the function and anatomy. Also durian and blueberry fruits have almost as many antioxidant as dark chocolate. But antioxidants dont mean anything when it comes to heart health. What's important here is cholesterol & triglycerides. Sure the antioxidants may be beneficial to your endocrine system and liver, but the caffeine & sugar in it can be damaging to our circadian sleep cycle and stressful on the heart. Not to mention the sugar will spike insulin and lead to fat accumulation and lethargy, and high trig's in the long run....which is what causes heart problems...stay away from chocolate....and any food that is man made. Rule of thumb for health: If it's not a plant or animal, don't eat it. Maybe minor extracts from the cocao plant is okay...but not in the mass quantities Americans consume.

So... seriously take any health advice from any 'doctor' with a grain of salt, remember who's paying them...pharmaceutical companies..and in this case possibly Hershey's. Lol.
edit on 8-2-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Every week there is something good for you something bad..... this is to confuse you to not know what is good and what is bad, so that the bad things can continue to be.... this week dark chocolate good tomorrow it will be the number 1 cause of mud butt! its just to sell papers... and chocolate, did daily news just do a deal with the dark chocolate company or summit?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Trouble is since the Ivory Coast is on the verge of civil war, thus cocoa prices have been ratcheting up.

Ivory Coast export ban triggers higher cocoa prices

Cocoa also stimulates the body's dopamine levels, which makes for a happy mood....nature's Prozac.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Dark chocolate may provide these healthy elements, but it tastes like dirt. If I ended up with a dark chocolate Terry's Orange on Christmas day I'd be devastated.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
"The study, conducted by the Hershey Co., compared cocoa powder and products with fruit-based powders and juices. Cocoa came out ahead on the anti-oxidant scale over blueberry, cranberry and pomegranate powder. "

Red flags pop up for me when I see that the company selling the product did the "research"

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

I think they just read this board.

We had a thread on this yesterday. enough said.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It wouldn't suprise me if cocoa powder in it's most purist form would have more health benefits then fruit based powders and juices, they sound as processed as the hot cocoa powder they mention, as most generic fruit juices are.

Then of course, you are not consuming the cocoa in it's purist form. They then add lots of additives and preservitives to it which likely cancels out any benefits you may get from it.

Dark Chocolate is probably better for you than Milk Chocolate. But with these things... The less the better
edit on 8-2-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Reevster

Hi Reevster !

I almost did not answer, because you did; but if we are more people
to show the BIAS of that article, so be it !

You are sooooooooo right, Reevster ! !

The study, conducted by the Hershey Co.

As they say: "Follow the money"?

I would like **very much** see ANOTHER source for such a study ! ! !

Blue skies.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

The sensationalism associated with anti-oxidants is just ridiculous. In theory, it makes sense that increased antioxidant consumption protects the cardiovascular system by reducing oxidation; however, in practice we just don't see much of a REAL benefit.

That being said...I don't think dark chocolate is a health food. But relatively speaking, when compared to fruit juices, cocoa isn't all that bad.

Yeah, fruit juices are packed with vitamins and such, but the possible benefit from said vitamins comes no where close to preventing the damage caused by the sugar.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Also its far more complicated than any ingredient, what works for one, does not for another, with allergies and things.
edit on 2/9/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LipanConjuring86
Dark chocolate may provide these healthy elements, but it tastes like dirt. If I ended up with a dark chocolate Terry's Orange on Christmas day I'd be devastated.

Hey, I like the taste of dirt!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
60% Cacao chocolate Caramels are the best this side of good ehem. IMO

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

I know weird huh? Someone gave me some pure cocoa nubs, (thats what they were called) and I liked them so much I went out and bought some 85% and 90% cocoa bars just two days ago.

Although I will say, a good friend of mine who LOVED dark chocolate and ate it often died of a massive heart attack at age 53. It will not protect you from everything. You still have to keep your weight down and exercise if you want your heart to be healthy.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Says who? A cardiologist? They don't study the affects of minerals and vitamins for the heart- they study the function and anatomy

Ok. So. Anatomy is the study of Structure. Physiology is the study of Function. The effects of different vitamins and minerals on the cardiovascular system would be something they want to study and understand..

I mean who would want to go to a doctor that doesn't know what high levels of calcium in the blood supply would do to your heart?

Right. We shouldn't listen to those doctors. They only spent 4 years struggling through medical school. Clearly some guy on the internet conspiracy forums will know more about Medicine than those Doctors.

But in all honestly. I was thinking "great, a chance to eat chocolate."

-Funded by Hershey Co.- Yup. Never mind. I'm surprised they put their name on it.

Results can be essentially bought in the research world.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Dark chocolate and cocoa have more anti-oxidant capacity than fruit juice, according to a study released Sunday in the Chemistry Central Journal.

Dark chocolate covered strawberries, melon pieces, bananas, oranges.......
Benefits of both.
That has to be even healthier....

Its also a feel good food. That counts for more than most doctors realize.
edit on 9-2-2011 by snowspirit because:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by freedish

Says who? A cardiologist? They don't study the affects of minerals and vitamins for the heart- they study the function and anatomy

Ok. So. Anatomy is the study of Structure. Physiology is the study of Function. The effects of different vitamins and minerals on the cardiovascular system would be something they want to study and understand..

I mean who would want to go to a doctor that doesn't know what high levels of calcium in the blood supply would do to your heart?

Right. We shouldn't listen to those doctors. They only spent 4 years struggling through medical school. Clearly some guy on the internet conspiracy forums will know more about Medicine than those Doctors.

I've been to several cardiologists for hearth palpitations. At no point did they recommend or even ask about vitamins. All they did was take echo cardiograms and stress tests. You'd be surprised how little most doctors know about actual health. Food is the best medicine. And doctors aren't paid to prescribe food.

But don't forget that doctors and schools were paid from the 1960's till 2010 by Pharmaceutical companies to promote the food pyramid. (Did you think the food pyramid was created by nutritionists? Guess again) And the food pyramid is almost all simple carbohydrates and little to any dietary fat. They are just now realizing how necessary dietary fat is, and how horrible simple carbs are. They are even now prescribing a 'medical grade' fish oil for people with high cholesterol.
You think these doctors know health? Yeah right.... And the people that listen to them are stupid... Well...I guess ignorant would be the better word. I was ignorant too until I started researching and testing healthy eating habits myself.
edit on 10-2-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
it is sketchy conception,at least it can cause fat.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

Well, of course a cardiologist knows what high levels of calcium does. He also knows what medications affect serum calcium levels. However, he doesn't know how foods, including dietary calcium/calcium supplements, affect calcium levels.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join