It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Willing to accept the mundane?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I have been a member of this site since about 2002 and somethin that I have noticed that has really stuck out to me is peoples unwillingness to accept a mundane solution or reason for the vast majority of "debunked" conspiracys, sitings and disscussions.

People rush to push and promote the idea that every piece of info brought to this site is authentic and groundbreaking and are often unwilling to accept that there will be cases where a UFO is just a weather balloon or that the time traveller in Charlie Chapmans video might just be a crazy lady talking to herself with her hand to her ear.

This results in hours of lost time for dissuasion on topics that might actually have some merit to them and results in ridiculous threads sitting onthe front page for a week because it's got 30 stars and flags and pages of increasingly desperate attempts to prove the validity of something that is often more mundane than mystical.

It seems some people are so desperate to find something conspiratorial in everything little thing to justify their views of the world - that they often overlook the fact that there will sometimes be a mundane answer to a question.

It doesn't mean that there is nothing mystical in the world (I've seen two UFO's myself) - just means that not everything that gets bought here is genuine.

Does anyone agree?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I agree 100%. That's why my favorite sections on here tend to be Space Exploration and Ancient/Lost Civilizations. Unfortunately almost everyone on here, and that includes most mods (except maybe Byrd), thinks that deny ignorance means believe anything until proven false, and that's why we have 15 page introductions by people claiming all sorts of things only to be closed hours later due to no evidence.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ezekiel

S & F.

It does seem like a lot of people refuse to accept the mundane and much more likely explanations. Occam's razor if you will.

I think a lot people on this site do have genuine experiences and insights that make them question things, probably a prime motive for joining up. I too have had some freaky things happen.

But we do to keep an open mind, in both directions.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I think that you hit the nail on the head with your assessment! I struggle with a lot of the "analysis" that ATS members do, more often then not I feel like they are either grasping at straws, making mountains out of mole hills, or attention seeking with the stuff they post.

While I am a firm believer that there are things that are covered up from the common folk I believe the reason are often less sinister then we make them out to be. I joke about this sight with my friends and my wife and they think I am insane because of some of the stuff that gets posted on this site. I sit back and laugh about some of the topics that come up... "I shot at an alien in my back yard..." or "I'm hunted by a breather..." or "I meet with world leaders when I astral project..." My wife thinks I need to get on meds because I think this stuff is interesting.

Thank you for proving that I not the only person out there that feels this way!!! S & F to you good sir!
edit on 2/8/2011 by TheHistorian because: Needed to star and flag this thread!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I was starting to think that maybe I was the only one
I've lost count of the number of times I've left this place because posts were getting increasingly ridiculous. Seems like a virus - all it takes is one to kick it off and then it spreads like wildfire.

The little gems that I come across here and there always bring me back for more

top topics

join