It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Seizes Websites For MERELY Linking To Copyrighted Material.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Apparently the Department of Homeland Security is now authorized to rewrite and enforce copyright infringement laws. In a stunning precedent, the recent round of domain seizures to shut down websites that allowed illegal streaming of the Super Bowl, also included a few other websites that were seized simply for linking to infringing content.

www.infowars.com...

The line between 'criminal copyright infringement' and 'contributory copyright infringement' is rapidly becoming blurred, The days of websites being able to simply take the legal route of just asking for links to be removed and/or settling cases in civil court are fast drawing to close.

What gets me is that under the current arguments given for seizures,Google is somehow exempt from doing 'due diligence' in making sure that their links do not constitute infringement.

Here's another disturbing tidbit from a linked article within the text:

…the affidavit itself is chock full of legal and technical errors, compounded by assertions-as-facts that seem to have little basis in reality. This is immensely troubling, especially given that the specific legal issues here are hardly settled law, and Homeland Security seems to be acting as if these cases are no brainers, allowing them to flat out seize domains, even when those websites have been declared perfectly legal in their home countries.

Article:www.techdirt.com... ml

Now,if this level of reach into other countries' websites which have deemed compliant with their own laws doesn't send up red flags on this issue,I don't know what will. This smacks of a growing effort towards global governance over the Internet and thereby extension the very governments which supposedly have the right to sovereignty.

And lastly,from the article:

We better wake up and share these stories with everyone we know, because tyranny is fast approaching. These words written above belong to nobody but the open-source, free Internet. Share and re-post at will.

So,there you have it,folks. Any and all things will eventually be polluted and destroyed in the name of profits which is really what this all about underneath the surface. I urge everyone to archive as much material from the Internet as you feel is necessary before it's too late.

Warnings have been floated around the Internet for some time of controlled access(Net Neutrality) at the hands of big companies eventually coming into play which will ultimately strangle the flow of information. This will leave us with a sanitized,monetized Internet which will have no intrinsic value to society whatsoever which is aimed at only draining your mind and your wallet. 'Idiocracy',here we come...

*NOTE* I do not advocate theft of copyrighted materials. I believe people should pay for or secure legal rights to material where appropriate. What I do call into question is the level of greed being exercised by big corporations today concerning the monetization and control of media. I feel there is fine line between corporate right to profit and freedom to share information which is being erased at our own peril.

edit on 7-2-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Yeah i found this out when I tried to stream the superbowl last night.

firstrow.net...

lol

Although there are like hundreds more. I don't think they can stop this.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

What revenue was lost, concidering the content was viewable by the public, and the streams were direct streams of the channels?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

What revenue was lost, concidering the content was viewable by the public, and the streams were direct streams of the channels?

I believe it's a matter of 'containment'. Technology today makes it nearly impossible for media providers to keep content within the desired boundaries under their control. If they want something available on two websites which have paid for the right to use the content and then stream it,the problem lies in the fact that the content can simply be heisted and distributed by another site (which didn't pay) or copied and re-distributed by an individual (who also didn't pay). Also, I think has something do with image or endorsement. They only want stuff available on 'approved' sites which don't present any potential legal or image problems.

The whole thing is just makes your head spin really.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Just a note. I was not saying you were taking a position. I was just asking a question.

All in all, seems like overkill for a public broadcast.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Four or five sites that I use to stream lots of different stuff now have this graphic on it.

This happened about two weeks ago, long before the superbowl. I don't download very much stuff, I generally prefer to stream things. Most of the sites I use for streaming have been seized and most a week or more before the game this weekend.

Wonder when Youtube is going to get seized?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
Four or five sites that I use to stream lots of different stuff now have this graphic on it.

This happened about two weeks ago, long before the superbowl. I don't download very much stuff, I generally prefer to stream things. Most of the sites I use for streaming have been seized and most a week or more before the game this weekend.

Wonder when Youtube is going to get seized?

THAT my friend is the million-dollar question. Given it's size and the blatant amount of questionable material concerning copyrights that is posted there,I think there might be a storm brewing on that front. If anyone has a YouTube account and has uploaded or even linked to anything that is in copyright violation,if may be too late for them to take it down if there are legal actions in the works.

I could be wrong,they could just hit the biggest offenders and give other people the boot. Then again,maybe not...

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The feds giving up a chance to rubber stamp prosecute thousands of people for copyright infringement? I highly doubt that.

At what point do we equate youtube and similar sites to sharing a book with a friend or inviting them over to watch a movie? What is the real difference here? Is that the ultimate goal? That you have to aquire special license to do anything with anything?

I switched off the mainstream shennanigans a long time ago. I listen to radio shows for free, mostly over my phone. I stopped looking for new music on store shelves and through media empires. It's all crap nowadays anyway. In the end there are two choices...

You can accept this rediculous legislation that costs the taxpayer billions every year to enforce vauge and arbitrary laws on itself to save what equates to less than the media empire is losing...

Or you can just give the proverbial finger to the media tycoons and get your media from 100% free source music where you choose to donate (read : pay) whomever you want based on a reward system.

I choose the latter.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Why is the Department of Homeland Security got to do with copyright?

Are they now the Department of Corporate Security as well?

Seems like just a convenient excuse to censor the internet.
edit on 8/2/11 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Department of Homeland Security is a bloody curse on the face of the earth, and an abomination before the constitution of the USA>
That americans would even let a department of their goverment include the word homeland is ineane...
The very word brings pictures of ww2 nazi attrocities and concentration camps.
You are being set up by the use of linguistics!
The words are slowly being twisted to mean other than whats being said.
Its getting very scarey!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Under the conditions that these sites were shut down, Google could be shutdown.

We are moving quicker and quicker towards a totalitarian feudal system. A little fascism, a little communism, a little feudalism, and a whole lot a corruption.

When searching for certain things, I use Google before I use other search engines. Try it, you might like it.

Google search- Avatar torrent- results.www.google.com...=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=Avatar+torrent&cp=14&pf=p&sclient=psy&site=&source=hp&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=Avatar+torrent&pbx= 1&fp=d46d7fcb6d497136

Wow, look at that, the first one works. Hey someone call DHS and say that there are torrents listed on Google and Google must be shut down!

new topics

top topics

join