It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guy, AR: 6 months of daily tremors after gas drilling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Tr emor terror: The tiny town that gets a dozen earthquakes EVERY DAY after gas drilling goes awry

A tiny American town has become one of the earthquake capitals of the world after suffering more than a dozen tremors every single day. Residents of Guy in Arkansas have lived through thousands of minor quakes in just six months after gas drilling apparently destabilised the earth beneath them. So frequent are the tremors - which go up to four on the Richter scale - that they have been given their own name: the Guy earthquake swarm.

Daily tremors? Now that would kinda freak me out.

Also, Beebe, AR is about 45 miles away.
edit on 7-2-2011 by flyingviolet because: addition

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Beebe, that the dead bird town?
Fracking is the term they use for the methosd of punping co2 into the earth to break up the shale bearing the natural gas.This releases it to be collected for burning.
The cracked shale however, has permanently lost its cohesion and stability as well as further fracking continues for some time after.
How are the rest of the states who allow gas fracking operations reacting to this situation?
And how much of this is gonna be aong the new Madrid fault line?
Its all relative.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by flyingviolet

Good catch. S&F&

Evidence links oil and gas drilling with quakes - but industry continues to deny it. Profit is such a great motivator, isn't it?

Scott Ausbrooks, a geologist with the Arkansas Geological Survey, said: ‘All this activity happened after these wells had gone online.

'What you could be looking at is a case where the strain was already there. You’d be fast-forwarding the clock,’ he told the New York Times.

His team have also already said there is ‘strong temporal and spatial’ evidence for a link between the drilling and the quakes.

...and industry continues to claim that the evidence is "anecdotal."

Charles Morgan, a lawyer representing Poseidon Energy Services, which drilled one of the gas wells in Guy, said there was ‘no casual connection’ between the drilling and the tremors.

‘The evidence is anecdotal at best,’ he said.

Fools. They're all fools.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by flyingviolet

Also, Beebe, AR is about 45 miles away.

Why do people continue to try to make vague connections that really aren't connection to Beebe, AR???

Did you guys here about that Volcano that erupted in Japan??? That is ONLY about 9,000 miles away from Beebe, AR.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

I look for answers and truth by making connections, this is how we learn, this is the way the brain operates...and I think that there might be a connection that's why I mentioned it. Common sense tells me it may be another piece of the puzzle worth investigating.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
@soficrow

Exactly, they tell us what they want us to hear. Why dismiss it? Because it's anecdotal? Ok, then let's get some geologists out there and figure it out! We're the fools if we believe everything they tell us...
edit on 8-2-2011 by flyingviolet because: add @

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Thanks for the info. and those are good questions I don't have answers to...

new topics

top topics

join