It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reassuring words of David Morrison, Astrobiology Senior Scientist of NASA!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The reassuring words of David Morrison, Astrobiology Senior Scientist of NASA about 2012 and Nibiru and the pole shift.

The last period we see allot of negative stories about 2012 and the pole shifting So I ran to NASA
(heeelp we are dieing I cant see my children grow up , Do I have to sell my house before its to late,I have to store lots amounts of food.)

David Morrison, Astrobiology Senior Scientist says
on't worry pall nothings going to happen we are all okay, ... Do you have a question I will gladly answer it for you so, many did! And I picked some for ya

Question :

There is speculation that the Earth underwent a large catastrophe around 11,500-12,000 years ago (9700 BCE). Much of this is pseudo-science and can dismissed as such, however these roots have been in the books since the late 1800s. Many authors try and explain it away with geographical pole shifts, or slipping of the crust over it's mantle. What is the evidence for their claim that there was a cataclysm 11,500 years ago?

Astrobiologist David Morrison,

There is no evidence for a cataclysm near 12,000 years BP. There was a thousand-year drop in Northern Hemisphere temperature about then called the Younger Dryas (YD) period. This cooling had an impact on plant and animal populations in North America, but there was no sudden or catastrophic extinction. There is scientific debate about the cause of the YD cooling, but the most likely explanations involve changes in the Gulf Stream and other ocean currents. The period from about 12,000 to 6,000 BP does correspond roughly to the extinction of many very large animals of North America such as mastodons, mammoths, and giant bison. This extinction was not sudden, however, lasting several thousand years, and it is generally attributed to climate change and over-hunting by the early human population of North America. See Holocene extinction in Wikipedia [en.wikipedia.org...]. There was considerable interest about three years ago in a proposal by Richard Firestone and colleagues that some sort of major comet impacts did cause a catastrophe in North America, but this idea was not well received by the scientific community and is not accepted (See Richard A. Kerr (3 September 2010). "Mammoth-Killer Impact Flunks Out". Science 329). The evidence thus shows major ecological changes as the Earth emerged from the most recent ice age, but no "cataclysm". The suggestions you mention of geographical pole changes or slipping of the Earth's crust over the mantle are baseless pseudoscience. Such nonsense would not be proposed by anyone with scientific training.

David Morrison
Astrobiology Senior Scientist
February 2, 2011

Oh ah..but how come....

We are all aware of these massive animal and bird deaths happening.. and people are saying they are due to the magnetic north poles movement. AND All of the earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, storms -- could all of this scenerio be leading up to 2012? I am just really concerned.

The recent severe flooding, especially in Australia and Pakistan, is exceptional, but not the rest of the things these questions are asking about. There has been no recent increase in earthquakes, tornadoes, or storms. And there have been no exceptional animal (bird and fish) deaths. The animal death publicity in the past few weeks appears to be a self-generating story; once the first reports came out, people hear about other animal deaths and try to connect the dots. Fortunately this story has died down in regular news sources, but it just keeps going on the Internet. There is a good discussion on the Physorg website [www.physorg.com...], noting that "as speculation roiled the blogosphere, wildlife experts rolled their eyes. 'It is not that unusual,' said Kristen Schuler, scientist at the US Geological Survey's National Wildlife Center. 'There is nothing that is necessarily out of the ordinary for what we would see in any given week.' " A story in Huffington Post [www.huffingtonpost.com...] notes that the reality, say biologists, is that these mass die-offs happen all the time and usually are unrelated. Certainly they are unrelated to the magnetic field of the Earth, which is not undergoing any major changes. Scientists measure the strength and direction of the Earth's magnetic field continuously, so it is silly to speculate that a change in the magnetic field is the cause of animal deaths or any other events on the Earth.

David Morrison
February 1, 2011

Oh is that so hmmm... but I

I am worried about this pole shift that shut down an airport in Florida. I am thinking this is linked to 2012. AND I have been hearing many different concerns regarding the Polar reversal that made an airport shut down and rework its magnetic field settings. If a polar shift were to happen do scientist have any idea what the repercussions would be, and is it possible that we are already in the beginning of a polar shift? AND Currently, the magnetic poles are moving. We saw that last week with Tampa, Fl airport being shut down due to changes in compass directions. What would it take for a massive Solar Flare, like in the movie "Knowing", to wipe out our planet?

Very briefly, there have been no unusual changes in the Earth's magnetic field, and there is no evidence that we are approaching a magnetic field reversal, and even if we did it would be unlikely to do us any harm. To the person who asked about the science fiction film "Knowing": I hope you are not looking to Hollywood for information about science or the real world. However, there is still the story about Tampa Airport, which has been repeated many times on the Internet in the past couple of weeks. Note that this story is not about a re-orientation of the runways, nor does it suggest any recent significant shifts in the magnetic field. It is a correction to the runway signs, which indicate the magnetic headings, made in response to gradual changes over many years in the angle between magnetic north and true north. Why Tampa chose to do this now is unclear. Indeed, as a layperson I would think that airports would prefer to indicate their runway headings relative to true north, since planes today navigate by GPS and not magnetic compasses. But this is just speculation on my part.

David Morrison
January 28, 2011

great so i can still go out hiking and use my own compass...But how come that...

Our weather is starting to change recently, more rain and snow where area has four seasons. Hot and dry in areas have 2 seasons. What causes our climate recent changed? Is it because global warming? Please explain the causes of earthquakes and vocanos happened for the past 2 years? There are many natural disasters killed many people. AND Is global climate change being driven by (1) Tilt of axis of the earth (2) Tilt of plane of orbit. (3) Change in magnetic poles location? I have read that if the magnetic shield is shifting to being more in line with direct streaming of the solar rays we will be bombarded on earth with heavier energy levels resulting in climate change.

The changing climate on Earth is being driven by the release of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, primarily by consumption of fossil fuels. As I have written in previous answers (most recently Aug 18, Oct 26, Nov 29, Nov 30, Dec 10), the carbon dioxide content of the atmosphere has increased by 50% over pre-industrial levels. The rapid rise in carbon dioxide coincides with an unprecedented rise in global temperatures. You must be careful, however, not to confuse climate and weather. As climate changes, there will be greater precipitation, as we have seen in recent floods in Pakistan and Australia. The year 2010 was the wettest since global weather records have been kept. There has been no increase in volcanoes or earthquakes, and even if there were, that would be unrelated to global warming. Climate change is an atmospheric process, not a geological one. While changes in the Earth's orbital tilt and eccentricity produce the slow climate shifts reflected in the the ice ages, they are not causing our current global warming. Also, the Earth's magnetic field has nothing to do do with global warming. Besides, we constantly monitor the orbit and rotation of the Earth and our magnetic field, as well as the brightness of the Sun, and these have not shown significant recent changes.

David Morrison
January 26, 2011

Ah oh so you are monitoring the whole show.. amazing but if you have big brother capabilities then probably know that there's a...

I new planet in the outer solar system. Is this "nibiru" that Nasa kept on saying was made up? It seems to fit the description perfectly. For example, it is hidden by the sun, it is four times the size of Jupiter, and it is a "comet planet" Are we in any danger of it colliding with us on the famous date of 12/21/2012?

No it is not Nibiru. If this planet is real, it is extremely far away and does not come into the inner solar system, so it obviously has nothing to do with the Niburu myth. And obviously it poses no danger to Earth. Besides, very few planetary astronomers think it is real. Even it's "discoverers" say it is only one of several possibilities to explain their observations of comet orbits. It is not real for the same reason I have frequently noted in discussing other Niburu or Planet X ideas. If it existed it would have been detected in any of several infrared sky surveys, most recently WISE.

David Morrison
January 13, 2011

And there are lots of more Answerswhere these came from Oh I'm so happy Mr David Morrison I'll sleep much much better now I know all this.

Yes my son and let me tell you I also got this video for you to make this as positive as I can for you here it is vimeo.com... thank you for your time and we'll see you back in 2013 Its not lucky number but I reassure you its nothing!

edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I hope food doesn't stay in my mouth several thousands years when this pole shift happens. Funny that there are many scientist out there saying that the food, plants, flowers, etc, were FLASH frozen in these animals mouths and also their stomach content was a fresh as the day they died. Even the dogs ate from these animals when they were discovered...This guy is on the TPTB payroll. There a many, many vids out there on this subject for this 1 man to discredit it....You can believe that there is NOTHING going on in this universe if you want to but you'll find out pretty soon. Maybe, real, real soon....Things are NOT normal. I have been here 57 yrs. and I can tell you this sun is really messed up......

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Yeah thats why I thought I had to discuss it. The facts are more convincing than this guy tells they are. But then again he could also be right . they don't want to create mass hysteria , That will happen probably after they are sitting in their cozy shelters!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Is this thread sarcastic? I'm hoping. To me he sounds like an old fashioned Dr.
" Now honey, don't you worry your pretty little head, everything will be just fine." He forgot to add "trust me".

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Yes it is sarcasm , can you believe this guy..He knows so much

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Sorry got to go to bed wife's paging me, damn ! And she's always right!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Thanks for the peace of mind I will sleep well tonight,this should
keep them quiet for a few days,until someone comes up with another omg were going to die thread.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

I did it all 4U guys I did all for U...peace

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

What do you mean about the sun? The reason l ask is all last summer The sun looked "wrong" l am the same age as you. Now is it me or has the sun changed. lt is so bright and looks like a glareing white light instead of the beautiful golden sun that l have always known, something is so wrong and l just cant work out what it is. Peace star.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
....Things are NOT normal. I have been here 57 yrs. and I can tell you this sun is really messed up......

Yeah the sun has Indeed strange readings if you have to believe what the majority of scientist say . But I irritate myself about all the contradiction the scientist have about the sun.

new topics

top topics

join