It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OPAG proposes study of Jupiter's moons potential to harbor life.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

"We've reached hands across the Atlantic to define a mission to Jupiter's water worlds," said Bob Pappalardo, the pre-project scientist for the proposed Jupiter Europa Orbiter, who is based at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "The Europa Jupiter System Mission will create a leap in scientific knowledge about the moons of Jupiter and their potential to harbor life."

Article

The Outer Planets Assessment Group was established by NASA in late 2004 to identify scientific priorities and pathways for exploration in the outer solar system. The group consists of a 15-person steering committee, which actively solicits input from the scientific community and reports its findings to NASA Headquarters.

OPAG Homepage

1.1 Science Theme, Goals, and Objectives. An extensive international effort involving scientists from more than half a dozen countries established the EJSM overarching theme as: The emergence of habitable worlds around gas giants.

PDF

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I used the search function and didn't find any other posts about this. Looks like we are taking serious steps forward in space exploration and finding other "life" out there. I for one wish them the best! Exciting times we live in!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
It's a very cool proposition.
Shame we will have to wait a few years... Patience...
There's SO MUCH to learn from the Jupiterian (or however is spelled in english) system. We have at least two moons that probably harbor underground OCEANS, we have a VERY intricate magnetic system, and a friggin giant planet we just started to "explore".
Really exciting if Astronomy ticks you in the right way. (and if it doesn't there's something really wrong with you)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
A bit disappointing that the launch isn't scheduled until 2020, and further away, arrival around the moons would take around a year. Prime candidates for habitable environments like these moons should have a little more resources devoted to them and take a higher priority in my opinion so we can gather more info and send a lander there quicker.

Hopefully this one stays green lighted unlike it's predecessors:
Jupiter Icy Moons Orbiter Canceled in 2005. The proposal for this plan did seem a little beyond the dismal budget for space programs though haha.
Europa Orbiter Canceled in 2002
And probably quite a few lesser ones.

I do like how Russia is interested in providing funding and if not for this mission, a follow up lander mission that would make use of the data learned with this mission to provide possible landing site candidates.

But the biggest thing to gain here i think is understanding Jovian moons better, primarily because of how plentiful they are. Especially with the 49 gaseous planet candidates found in the habitable zones of their stars via the Kepler Mission.

new topics

top topics

join