It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remington VTR 308

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Picked this up a couple weeks ago. Wife was not happy at all. Apearently i have too many guns and not enough brains.

Zombies Look out!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking? I still haven't made up my mind on my long distance set up.

Which scope did you go with?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkice19

My cousin has this gun. It's a great looking gun and relatively light. The only problem I had with it was that I couldn't hit anything after around 90 yards or so. Don't know if I just was not used to it, but I was a bit disappointed in the range department. Have you shot it much yet?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The VTR is a descent gun but I still don't believe the factory muzzle brake actually does well reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise. I could never get a 3 shot group under .75 moa even with hand loads. Its not a bad deal for the money and is just a hair lighter than a regular 700 fluted barrel but the trangular barrel seemed to walk more when heating up than the standard bullbarrel ot the fluted. All in all it is a reliable tool and fun to shoot. I had two of them at different times in the past. Now I shoot the herstal fnc A5A to which is guaranteed less than.5 moa right out of the box with factory loads. I have an arsenal of guns that I've acquired through the years that I will not publicly state all weapons due to the current democrat gov't. I have a howa 338 lapua that is a monster in the 1200 yrd range. I wish the best to you and your new gun brother btw get your wife involved in shooting with you. She'll be going to the gun store instead of shoe shopping lol!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The bad accuracy is because of the cheap stock that remington went with. They did this to keep the cost down. You wont get sub moa with an injection molded stock unless it's been pillared and glass bed. I'm saving my loot right now so i can afford the Mcmillan A5 stock. With it this will be a nice 1000 yard gun.

THe scope i went with was the
www.nikonhunting.com...

It has bullet drop compensation rings on the retical for up to 600 yards. Makes for easy long range hunting.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

I think i have about 1k total so far. Soon to be 600 more for the stock upgrade.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkice19
The bad accuracy is because of the cheap stock that remington went with. They did this to keep the cost down. You wont get sub moa with an injection molded stock unless it's been pillared and glass bed. I'm saving my loot right now so i can afford the Mcmillan A5 stock. With it this will be a nice 1000 yard gun.

THe scope i went with was the
www.nikonhunting.com...

It has bullet drop compensation rings on the retical for up to 600 yards. Makes for easy long range hunting.

You will never get 1000 yards out of that gun with that scope. Have you ever even shot at 400 yards?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

You will never get 1000 yards out of that gun with that scope. Have you ever even shot at 400 yards?

Yes I shoot 500 yards all the time with just iron sights.(Standard shooting for Marines lol) And this scope has a 1000 yard setting that works just fine. With just off the shelf federal gold 168g it shot sub moa. I had a few boxes of Winchester white box (150 and 180g) I put through it to break it in first. I wasn't even close to the paper at 1000 yards with that stuff. Falls way short. Cleaning the rifle every 20 rounds during break in and then one final cleaning for the federal ammo. I shot several 10 shot groups and the best group was .85. I had a few floaters that I called a second after the shot which was my fault. Still getting used to my new rifle and flinching on the pull hehe. It weighs 16 pounds and has almost no recoil but the short barrel and the compensator are not the best combo for a long range rifle. I might upgrade to a standard heavy barrel.

I mainly bought this for hunting and long range is just a hobby . But since I sold my motorcycle I now have an extra 400 a month so I’m saving for a savage 110BA www.savagearms.com...

Off the shelf it's it’s awesome and won't need much tweaking.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkice19

"Picked this up a couple weeks ago. Wife was not happy at all. Apparently i have too many guns and not enough brains."

Zombies Look out! , Easy really ditch the wife mate,

lovely looking hunting rifle,

new topics

top topics

join