It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the point of evolving intelligence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If a creature can find food and reproduce, why did higher intelligence evolve, at least in humans? In other words, what is the point of becoming smarter when being primitive is enough to meet all needs, food, mating etc. ? Is it because becoming intelligent makes existance easier? What is the point?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Intelligence "evolved" so that the gods could play human. Its fun.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

If you're smarter than the competition, survival becomes that much easier.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Student X

Well, I do feel like a chess piece sometimes in life.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

I meant, play as human. You are a god that has fallen asleep and forgot he is a god and is dreaming that he is human. In a manner of speaking.

"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?” John 10:34

edit on 7-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I guess welcome to the boards, that is the forum this is in. It could be argued that since we are still killing each other with little provocation, exploiting the weak, etc., what evolution would you be referring to?

If you mean standing up, learning to use tools, not that big of a deal ,chimps do it.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

I guess any intelligence at all. What would be the point of going from an organism that has no trouble surviving in the world to developing a large or fully-functional brain and can contemplate its own existence?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Student X

I guess we are gods in our own right. What other creature do we know of that can be so creative, think about the far future, etc. ?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

Animals like chimps being able to use tools is probably exactly the reason we developed even further than that. Contemplating our own existence is likely a side effect of all that extra brain-power we developed to outsmart the other primates.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I am reminded of Mckenna's theory about early humans began to walk upright as came out of the jungle and into the fields, psychedelic mushrooms were abundant and became a food source. Supposedly, the tripping brought along self awareness and reflection, which maybe began the art and expression. I can just see an early protohuman tripping on the savannas, sitting still and contemplating. Perhaps the psychedelics stimulated an "observer" behavior beyond survival. Just sitting quietly tripping and soaking it all up?
So the intelligence started responding more to the novelty in our world, which opened up a new and expansive frontier for exploration. All speculation here, but that's my .02.

Peace,
spec

ETA: "What is the point of evolving intelligence?" If knowing your surroundings helps to ensure ones survival, then maybe intelligence is the branching out via technology to better assess the world in which we live in, making decisions for our betterment, both immediate and long term. McKenna once coined the phrase"meaning machines," describing humans as incessant investigators of meaning. I think that curiosity is part of our survival mode, encompassing understanding and exploration.

Oh Yea, welcome to ATS! I forgot this was an intro forum.

edit on 7-2-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

So competition to outsmart the other monkeys. Interesting

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

Hello Topato. Welcome to ATS.

It's an intriguing question you pose. Indeed, why.
It is our nature I think, to be curious. We have a desire to know things, explore things, and learn things. It's an inherent characteristic, for most of us. To want to know.

Perhaps our intelligence is a by-product of our curiosity. Perhaps our curiosity is a by-product of our intelligence.

The more we know, the more questions present themselves, and the more we want to know.

To what end? I don't know.

If there comes a time when mankind knows all there is to know, (and don't get me wrong, I don't think that is possible), but given that scenario, what then, would we do with ourselves?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Just watched the video. Sounds like he proposes that shrooms were responsible for the advancement.
And u mention that curiosity is a part of our survival programming. This might seem redundant but what might have caused that original curiosity to begin with?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by Topato

If there comes a time when mankind knows all there is to know, (and don't get me wrong, I don't think that is possible), but given that scenario, what then, would we do with ourselves?

Thanks for the welcome. That last statement reminds me of a theory I read somewhere that if we knew everything there was to know or even discovered the meaning of life, that the universe would be undone

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

what might have caused that original curiosity to begin with?

Only taking a stab here, but I would guess it originated from familiarizing oneself with their environment for survival.
Discovering and remembering food sources and locations, determining predator and prey, locating shelter and such. The shrooms just blew that whole contemplation thing to new levels of self reflection, which brought new behaviors and desires. Just guessing here though

spec

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Topato
If a creature can find food and reproduce, why did higher intelligence evolve, at least in humans? In other words, what is the point of becoming smarter when being primitive is enough to meet all needs, food, mating etc. ? Is it because becoming intelligent makes existance easier? What is the point?

Human beings are not the same as animals. It's not about the corporeal matrix generating reaction with its brain, it's about the developing human intellect itself hijacking the corporeal matrix's brain (the long effort begins around age 3 or so) and using it to self-create and craft an inimitable identity as it does. The real take-over coup doesn't launch until the DNA is busy transitioning the reproduction systems during puberty. That's when the entire system is in literal overload and the Intellect finally has a open shot at the frontal lobe and personality development. Once it grabs it, it never lets go of it, and the human being's personality really starts trying to put some sort of identity together in earnest.

The b*tch is that there's no how-to manual for crafting a good identity, and most of the time, the pubescent brain latches onto a readily available archetype and we all hope for the best. It's difficult stuff, but that's what the human being's life is all about. "Finding itself, and when (if) it does, holding onto that identity for all it's worth with both hands."

The corporeal life of a human being is about the constantly developing Intellect working to gain identity at all costs, and making the brain do what it does to that end. It's not about the human body's survival, as it is with other animals on this planet. Hell, the Intellect will even kill off the body (suicide or self-destructive behavior) if that helps it establish a niche of its own in the way it sees things. Not good, but that can end up being a natural result when inimitable Identity is the only important thing being accomplished by the human brain (which is the case here). Better terrible Identity than no Identity at all.

That's why humans are the only animals that deliberately ruin their own chances of corporeal survival, and even become obssessed with killing themselves. Animals will kill themselves, but only when there is a biological malfunction that drives them to it (either genetic or acquired). Humans will literally rip their bodies apart with bad health choices and unbelievable behavior. In most of these cases, a self-destructive archetype has been chosen by the personality for emulation. In the effort of establishing inimitable Identity, the human Intellect has to start somewhere.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Good insight NE, thanks.

The b*tch is that there's no how-to manual for crafting a good identity, and most of the time, the pubescent brain latches onto a readily available archetype and we all hope for the best. It's difficult stuff, but that's what the human being's life is all about. "Finding itself, and when (if) it does, holding onto that identity for all it's worth with both hands."

True true

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Student X
reply to post by Topato

I meant, play as human. You are a god that has fallen asleep and forgot he is a god and is dreaming that he is human. In a manner of speaking.

"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?” John 10:34

edit on 7-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

I think more people are remembering this fact.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Very informative, ty. Seems man's intellect is a beast of its own

new topics

top topics

join