It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The greatest conspiracies in religion are ...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by MrXYZ

Geesh, you don't realize yet that some people have their dial of skepticism turned so high that nothing will change their minds?

I've seen enough evidence to place my complete trust in.

Skepticism is a great thing, without it, we'd still believe the earth to be flat. Also, what you've "seen" isn't objective evidence, but you're welcome to prove me wrong

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
MrXYZ,

do a prayer, when there isn't an obvious difference you may remain the atheist you are.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
MrXYZ,

do a prayer, when there isn't an obvious difference you may remain the atheist you are.

Prayer can have a positive influence on a person because it releases endorphins, and the same happens when you meditate. I meditate 15min every single day, and have been for 11 years...but I don't need to make up a deity to meditate, you listen to your breath, or use other means to focus or calm yourself. Some people might prefer prayer and the result is similar, but it's nothing but a chemical interaction in brain/body

My sense for rationality/logic is too strong to talk to a personal god we have no evidence even exists....and that's always been that way, even during near death experiences. When I had Meningitis at 17 years old, the doctors asked my parents if I'm an organ donor because they only gave me a 25% survival chance. Within a week, I had slipped into a coma twice because of that damn virus.

Anyway, on day 6 when I was barely able to move (feels like someone's stabbing your neck when you lift it) but had to go for number 2. At that point, the nurse told me there's no way I can make it to the bathroom, and that I'd have to "let it go and not worry" because she's gonna clean me...before leaving the room. That did it for me, call it pride or whatever, but when she left the room to give me some privacy I got up and crawled to the bathroom...the entire way I thought I'd pass out, but I made it to the toilet. I passed out and fell off the toilet after taking care of business in the end.

Anyway, a week later the doctors said I'd make it. They also said they they still don't get how I was able to get up and crawl to the toilet given my condition and the ridiculous amount of meds I had in me. But they said that's what probably saved my life, the "never give up" attitude. Personally, I think it also had something to do with me being a teenager and the nurse kinda hot...I was embarrassed
But it was very very close...so close that my entire family came to say "good bye" on day 4.

What I'm trying to make clear is this: Even then, I never once prayed...which should make it pretty clear that until there's credible, objective evidence, I won't pray to a fictional character, not even if I'm about to die

edit on 1-3-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Now, the only thing left you can do will be praying.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Now, the only thing left you can do will be praying.

Why would I?? Science explains perfectly what happens in your brain if you pray...it's a chemical process, nothing more. At least in the absence of objective evidence for the existence of a personal god.

I tak it you pray to the Christian god...and then claim certain things. Well, Muslims claim the same, and Hindus do too...as do various jungle religions. All those gods are supposed to be very different, yet they all claim the same. It's because the effects of prayer are the same, endorphins get released, so humans experience it as something positive. Nothing wrong with that, like I said, meditation has similar benefits...but claiming you "know" god exists because of endorphins isn't rational.

Check it out

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Godless nessy, wreacking havoc all around the place. User.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Godless nessy, wreacking havoc all around the place. User.

What?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
They just broadcasted on the radio; you use it, or you lose it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join