It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The greatest conspiracies in religion are ...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
Jesus is the word of God and is god.

....if you say to this mountain, `Be taken up and cast into the sea,' it will happen. "And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." (Matthew 21:21-22)

And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13-14)

Dear Jesus.

Since you are the one true omnipotent (all powerful) God, I ask that you demonstrate the above statements and prove to heathens and anti-Christians such as myself, how wrong we are.

I ask in Jesus name that you remove Mount Everest and cast it into the sea, and further that you remove all Christians from the earth, and that you grant these requests by midnght tonight.

Further could you please deliver "etherical waterwave (the previous poster)" two large cheeze pizzas with anchovies and a side salad, and immediately miraculously cure all leprosy and blindness throughout the world. I ask all this in Jesus name, "so that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

Please let me know if the cheese pizzas arrive, but if the other events happen, I will expect to hear about in on the news.

Lux

edit on 9-2-2011 by Lucifer777 because: mis-spelling-itis

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
You're doing great Lucifer777.

One must believe in order for these things to happen. Open your mind they say. With the Father in the heavens everything is possible. Get to know the Father.

Dear Father, let us know thyself as thou art for us to believe:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
LOL!!! Priceless.

You have zero understanding of the literary devices of the Hebrews. "Mountain" is a metaphor for a kingdom/nation.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Profound poster is profound.
Profound poster still gets no cookie.
Because being profound on the internet
Is like losing the special olympics

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I will never understand why atheists rage sooo hard, even amongst themselves. I have a friend who was once Mormon, and every chance he gets he's mocking and bashing the Mormon Church...Reminds me of my two boys. The younger is really good at baiting the older one, and the older is inevitably pissed and angry and grumbling long after the offense. I ask him, why do you let your brother control your emotions like that? You control your emotions, not him. You can rise above his taunting, if you choose.

So it goes with atheists, at least in my experience. For whatever reasons, offenses or injustices you may have suffered, you unwittingly allow religion to cast a very long shadow in your lives. I don't get it. Live and let live, voice your opinions in a reasonable and logical manner when the topic arises. But the venom and childish mocking and empty ranting does nothing to convince others that you are right, or that religion is evil.

I think that your anger should more properly be focused at humanity, and it's inherent faults. It is people who twist and turn the concepts they profess to uphold. IMO the basic concepts behind most religion is pretty simple, really: Love, Compassion, Charity, Patience, Humility...Believe in God or not, those are some pretty worthy goals to seek. Rewarded or not in the afterlife, you can sit in hell (or blink out of existence completely) knowing you lived a life that bettered humanity, through your deeds and example.
edit on 12-2-2011 by blamethegreys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by blamethegreys
I will never understand why atheists rage sooo hard, even amongst themselves. I have a friend who was once Mormon, and every chance he gets he's mocking and bashing the Mormon Church...Reminds me of my two boys. The younger is really good at baiting the older one, and the older is inevitably pissed and angry and grumbling long after the offense. I ask him, why do you let your brother control your emotions like that? You control your emotions, not him. You can rise above his taunting, if you choose.

Imagine you're surrounded by people who believe that each dewdrop on every leaf is put there in the wee hours of the morning, by a team of magical elves who live in the U-bend of all your plumbing. These elves eat cobwebs, and occasionally will whisper prophecy in your ear as you dream. These magical elves are usually invisible, but are known to occasionally leave lipstick smears on bagels, rice cakes, and occasionally windows. Your neighborhood has an official elf-watching organization, with an elite group of "witnesses" who interpret the dreams that the elves give them and tell the rest of the community what's what.

Sll of the people around you take this completely serious. The elves, according to them, are every bit a part of the natural order, and each of them insists that YOU are the outsider, the weirdo, the misfit, because you've never seen an elf, never had an elf-dream, and never find elf-lips smeared on your breakfast dishes.

When you turn on the TV, you see your nation's leaders discussing what the elves told them, and basing national policy on this. People are insisting that the things that elves whisper into their heads at night should be the basis of our culture and law. Wars are fought between people who believe in the U-bend elves, and people who believe elves actually live in the water heater. Last week, a man walked into a preschool full of U-Bend elf believers' children, and proclaiming the might of the freezer pixies, detonated a bomb belt. What followed was a "debate" in the media between the Witnesses, believers of the U-Bend elves, the Water Heater Elves, and hte Dog Dish elves roundly condemning people who believe in the freezer pixies, whom everyone knows are total fiction.

If you lived in this world, surrounded by these people, you might get a little angry, too.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Imagine you're surrounded by people who believe that each dewdrop on every leaf is put there in the wee hours of the morning, by a team of magical elves who live in the U-bend of all your plumbing. These elves eat cobwebs, and occasionally will whisper prophecy in your ear as you dream. These magical elves are usually invisible, but are known to occasionally leave lipstick smears on bagels, rice cakes, and occasionally windows. Your neighborhood has an official elf-watching organization, with an elite group of "witnesses" who interpret the dreams that the elves give them and tell the rest of the community what's what.

Sll of the people around you take this completely serious. The elves, according to them, are every bit a part of the natural order, and each of them insists that YOU are the outsider, the weirdo, the misfit, because you've never seen an elf, never had an elf-dream, and never find elf-lips smeared on your breakfast dishes.

When you turn on the TV, you see your nation's leaders discussing what the elves told them, and basing national policy on this. People are insisting that the things that elves whisper into their heads at night should be the basis of our culture and law. Wars are fought between people who believe in the U-bend elves, and people who believe elves actually live in the water heater. Last week, a man walked into a preschool full of U-Bend elf believers' children, and proclaiming the might of the freezer pixies, detonated a bomb belt. What followed was a "debate" in the media between the Witnesses, believers of the U-Bend elves, the Water Heater Elves, and hte Dog Dish elves roundly condemning people who believe in the freezer pixies, whom everyone knows are total fiction.

If you lived in this world, surrounded by these people, you might get a little angry, too.

I think that is a very good analogy for the world of religion. Part of the problem is that religious indoctrination and hypnosis often begins in eary childhood and that children are susceptible to believing almost anything irrational. I still remember being a young child and I overheard another child talking about how Santa Claus does not exist, and up until that time, I had never questioned Santa's existence.The problem with organised religion is that instead of telling children at a certain point that their religious myths are all a lot of nonsense, this often never happens and thus the child grows up to take perfectly irrational myths totally seriously.

In the world's most powerful military nation, America, the majority of the population claim to be Christians and a poll has indicated that 40% of American adults believe that Jesus will return soon. For a person with humanist values, living in certain "Bible Belt" states, it must be rather like living in an insane asylum; but the problem with the insane asylum which is called "America" is that the insane people don't know that they are insane; in fact those who model themselves after the religiously insane are the in the "majority," and they look up to models of religious schitzophrenics such as Jesus or the numerous evangelists of the multi billion dollar Jesus business as models of "goodness" and "normality."

I often think of the Matrix movie as also a good analogy of the problem of religious psychosis; in nations where the majority of the population are suffering from religous psychosis due to hypnosis and indoctrination, a person who is not suffering from religious psychosis is rather like the Neo and Morpheus of the Matrix movie.

This problem is compounded by the fact that those suffering from religious psychosis not only think that they are sane, but that those who are unnafected by religious hypnosis are deluded and can only be cured by subjecting them also to religious hypnosis and indoctrination and inducing religious psychosis in them also.
Thus religion spreads like a memetic virus; another useful analogy is the Hollywood archetypal Zombie movie, where the Zombies are not merely content to be Zombies, but they want to turn everyone else into Zombies also.
Unfortunately some people simply cannot be woken up; they are just too far gone.

This is no laughing matter really, since the major forms of religious fanaticism are also militant and potentially genocidal and have a long track record of genocidal militancy, which in a nuclear age is a very serious matter.

Lux

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I gotta admit, your analogy made me laugh this morning, thanks!

I'm coming from a position of passive believer in the elves, I guess, but I see what you're saying. I guess it's all about perspective. I still wish everyone could just chill and take it down a few notches, for their own health and happiness. Believers need to stop judging and condemning, atheists need to stop judging and condemning.

I think the biggest evil in our society is the divisions we create for ourselves. What if you had a mindset of "I will judge every person solely on that person's actions"; what if every believer thought the same? Think about how much nicer our world might be...Change starts with individuals (See the recent thread "Love In An Elevator, Livin It Up Til I Hit The Ground"). One person choosing to be different changed an entire company.

Try it...Start today to set aside your preconceptions and view each person as an individual, intrinsically valuable to the world irregardless of their views and beliefs. If they show you otherwise, so be it, but you might be surprised at how many folks who aren't anything like you turn out to be great human beings!

(Disclaimer: This POV and challenge isn't aimed at any one group...It's for anyone who reads it. If you shun people cause you think they are part of group X, or might be scary, or from another country, this challenge is for you!)
edit on 13-2-2011 by blamethegreys because: You said Elves, and I Wrote Pixies...My powers have grown weak!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
"There is a god."

...without providing any evidence supporting that claim

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Religious indoctrination can't be that bad. When it is religious there seems to be no wrong in it, It could only be enlightening. The way it is indoctrinated ...

well, yeah , indoctrination. Still, it can be a good thing.

Would it be right starting with God put us here on earth and we need to live with eachother in harmony. That would be a great indoctrination.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Could it be one knows God without himself realising it because he just is the child he is, making him confused about the matter but being the greatest christian ever?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifer777

Further many of the claims by Christianity's alleged founder are scientific claims, just like the scientific claims for Scientology's founder to be able to cure cancer and radiation burns (by joining his cult); if Christians could really cure leprosy, blindess, raise the dead, miraculously cure all illnesses and move mountains into the sea, they would have demonstrated this by now with their deads, rather than with their incessant ramblings

When did christians ever claim this? They claimed Jesus could do it, not them

Further with regards to "Jesus returning" he stated that he would return before his contemporary followers had travelled through all the towns of ancient Israel. If he did return 2000 years ago, you have missed it.

He was born 2000 years ago, why would he be returning then, when its his first time?

If such a genocidal theocratic dictator (i.e., a king of kings, a monarchist) as depicted in the New Testament every "returns," he will have to deal with millions of armed American republicans who are not exactly in favour of monarchy (dictatorship), especially theocratic monarchies; if you really want to live in a theocratic monarchy, might I suggest that you emigrate to Saudi Arabia?

And most of them republicans go to church so I think not mate.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Would it be right starting with God put us here on earth and we need to live with eachother in harmony. That would be a great indoctrination.

1) We have no proof that a deity "put us on earth"....ZERO, nada, zip....so why should we tell people that?
2) You can tell people to live in harmony without having to blind them with fairy tales...they're NOT children.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
People don't want to be told. Leave them alone.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I can't believe you even responded to the obvious trolling.

*shakes head*

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Jesus' body is real food and his blood real drinks.

for understanding, all real food you eat is the body of Christ. The body of christ is sold everywhere. Vegetables, meat, bread is all the body of christ and all drinks are his blood. Now what is the purpose of this being so?

www.biblegateway.com...

23-26Let me go over with you again exactly what goes on in the Lord's Supper and why it is so centrally important. I received my instructions from the Master himself and passed them on to you. The Master, Jesus, on the night of his betrayal, took bread. Having given thanks, he broke it and said,

This is my body, broken for you.
Do this to remember me.
After supper, he did the same thing with the cup:
This cup is my blood, my new covenant with you.
Each time you drink this cup, remember me.
What you must solemnly realize is that every time you eat this bread and every time you drink this cup, you reenact in your words and actions the death of the Master. You will be drawn back to this meal again and again until the Master returns. You must never let familiarity breed contempt.

Am I right?

So eating his body is to remember him, but we can't cause I have met him in real life.

All I said is wrong. It was just for his disciples. Or do we have to believe?

Lord, how can I get to know you?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I can't believe you even responded to the obvious trolling.

*shakes head*

Since when is asking for objective evidence trolling?

And no, I won't stop telling people what a scam it is until someone presents credible, objective evidence. Some people don't want the nation to be dumbed down and doubting facts just because it goes against their irrational belief.

Having said that, you're free to believe whatever. But asking others not to challenge your belief on a public discussion forum is futile...don't like it, don't post/read

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Geesh, you don't realize yet that some people have their dial of skepticism turned so high that nothing will change their minds?

I've seen enough evidence to place my complete trust in.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join