It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In fear of what may come I have moved to Alaska with $800.00 in my pocket.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by robotically

Congrats. You did something you wanted to do and
it has made a positive difference in your life.
S & F

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Good for you for going out on an adventure. Most people I know never leave their hometowns let alone their state. If I were young and single again I would travel and explore the world. Sounds like you're independent and willing to learn about your new state. Try not to get caught up in the "fear" factor of 2012 so much, though.
Enjoy this and I think it'd be great if you had a blog so people could keep up on your "journey" into the wild and survivalism. Very cool!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Wow!

Much respect you to robotically!

You've gone ahead and done something Ive always wanted to!
Pack up and move to Alaska!

You are the man!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Well thank you for that positive comment, feel free to look me up if you ever get the itch to venture up here.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

A great idea thanks! I know Im a computer tech and should know everything computer related but honestly I know nothong of blogs or how to or where to start... Pretty pathetic I know. Maybe you could point me in a direction?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Thank you so much! I feel so much better after reading your comment! I will make it a mission to get as many pics as possible, if people will enjoy them I will get them out here. I promise.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Regardless of your reason for moving to Alaska (SHTF or not) you've moved to an amazing place. Kudos to you for taking a risk and doing so while you have the time in life to do it (i.e. without the responsibilities that would have prevented you) and should you change your mind in the future, no big deal that's what life is about.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
wow...just wow...and i tought i was paranoid...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It is totally breathtaking, every part of it is beautiful. This place is a different world. The population is only about 30k but it seems so much smaller than that. Everyday I see someone I know and Ive only been here a few months its amazing. There is virtually no crime here and the demographic is ideal for myself. I feel very safe, even walking through the city at night there is not much to fear and is kind of enchanting. Most of the crime is alcohol related. I have not for once taken my surroundings for granted, I appreciate it 24/7. We have some of the most clear night skies you could ever imagine. The night sky almost looks like an HD movie because they really stand out and you can see many colors through the sparkle of each star. It rains a lot here and when it does it gets really icy, they dont salt the roads so most of the cars here can be 20-30 years old and still be very drivable. When I got my job I needed a car to do onsite work so I bought a 1987 Volkswagen Scirocco lol. I loved that car, very fun to drive and was fast and great on gas. The clutch cable broke when I was leaving work one day so Isold it for 200.00$ I ended up buying a Dodge Stratus from the dealership across the street from where I work.

I had moose meat for the first time in my life just a few days ago and it was very tasty, a guy I work with went hunting in August-Sept 'ish and got a moose, his huge freezer is packed full of meat. He said he would have enough for more than a year. I have never been much of a hunter but I think I will start.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by robotically
reply to post by Ahmose

Thank you so much! I feel so much better after reading your comment! I will make it a mission to get as many pics as possible, if people will enjoy them I will get them out here. I promise.

Most welcome!
I am happy it made you feel better!
You shouldnt feel bad about it in any way!

Looking forward to photos!

Maybe hosting them on a site like flickr would be easiest to share them.

I am wondering...

Since youve been there..
How are the people?

Do they seem kind, humble, generous.. unlike most of america?
Or, more so than most of america?

Are the people nice? as Ive always suspected them to be?

LadySkady~ Regardless of your reason for moving to Alaska (SHTF or not) you've moved to an amazing place. Kudos to you for taking a risk and doing so while you have the time in life to do it (i.e. without the responsibilities that would have prevented you) and should you change your mind in the future, no big deal that's what life is about.

Absolutely!
Great comment!

Well said.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Thank you very much for the help Iwill put something together and keep m,y thread updated with the latest news from Alaska

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Wow Robo I take my hat off to you Sir,

Such a life change could not have been easy and I can fully appreciate all of your reasons for taking such a dramatic step.

I'm a very long time Lurker to ATS but I Have at last decided to post in reply to such an amazing feat of forward thinking!

Sitting here in the middle of the UK I could only dream of being where you are and the fact that you are enjoying your life so much is a testament to your courage and open mindedness.

Who knows what will happen in the near or distant future but with so many events apparently converging and accumulating together right now, I would certainly rather be where you are.

Even if the Poles don't shift, nor does a fatal catastrophe befall mankind, we face so many other near certain events that could well cause chaos and starvation to even well developed countries.
With the very real decimation of global foodstocks due to natural disasters, there could well be periods of great public discontent ahead with food shortages the likes of which we have never before seen or experienced.
It is happening as we speak in many countries and the cost of food is rising to record levels as governments try to stockpile.
Should 2011 also suffer from continued crop devastation then we could all be in trouble no matter where we live and a breakdown in society could swiftly follow.
Perhaps this is one reason for so many government contingency plans?....Who knows.
One thing is for sure though, I would rather be up there sharing a home brewed beer with you than trying to defend my kitchen cupboards from armed intruders.

I think what you have done is amazing and perhaps we could all benefit from some time out and a return to nature and self sufficiency. I would estimate that perhaps 95%+ of my city Birmingham wouldn't have a clue of how to live from the land but you my friend have a massive head start....So seek and enjoy!

Studio

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Hey Robotically..... There are some great river/creek beds in Juneau that's rich in gold nuggets. Get a gold pan (rather inexpensive) and do some prospecting on your spare time! ( gold's very profitable now days). You can go to BLM website and get a listing/map of claims in the area so you don't get shot for tresspassing...Also, I think Alaska is one of the last states that you can homestead on BLM land. (Free land the American Dream!) As far as the food situation, Learn how to fish! Lots of free food waiting to be caught!! healthier than top ramen for sure!

Alaska Land offer

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
You're living my motto! I think everyone should be more proactive and adventerous in life. Congrats on your bravery and sense of adventure!

As a side note: How is the construction industry up there? I know someone who is looking for a job as a construction manager.

As for me, If something bad happens---like a pole shift---I'd rather die here with my friends and family..somewhere close to home. Getting too old to fish and hunt bear.

I can't believe you're eating raman noodles for breakfast with syrup and butter, did you say? If you keep that up, you won't live long enough for the poles to shift. Switch to oatmeal..--it's very good for you and also cheap. Try to afford a piece of fruit everyday, too.

Good luck!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I live in az. I am unhappy here as there is no more work and it is not the same I like the idea of alaska it sounds great, how is the jobs up there?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Wow...just wow! I have been longing to pick up and make a move to Alaska myself. I have some family in Juneau and hear that it is amazing up there. I swear, one day I will be up there. The simpler life away from the big city (bay area) calls to me.

Like others have said before me though, don't spend too much energy worrying about pole shifts and such. Our time here is just the blink of an eye in the pig picture. Chances that something heavy will befall us are very slim. Be happy, suck in that clean Alaska air and enjoy mother nature at her finest.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I think you're in a safe place! Sarah Palin's big head should keep Alaska from shifting south.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
He's gone county... congrats.

How envious I am, yet I have my piece of paradise here in NC. Just think of the stories you will be able to tell one day and how much you have grown already. Fantastic... most of those poo-pooing your decision are just jealous. You actually had the balls to control your life....wonderful.

I would follow suit, but I am a warm...no, hot weather kinda guy, 5 degrees for a winter time high is just too much for my increasingly older bones.

Sounds like you are settling in just fine and 'going native"...eating moose and such. Next thing ya know, you'll have a proper cabin and be homesteading up there...I've seen cabbages the size of tires grown up there with the long days and all.

Good luck....

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Best of luck sounds like a grand adventure in a beautiful place.!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Hey Amigo you just moved close to one of most dangerous earthquake prone areas on the planet. I remember the biggie in '64. In some places the ground fractured and rose more than 20 ft while other areas sunk. OK that was Anchorage. Same difference. Before you moved did you check the seismology charts for active faults?

OOPS.... Also anywhere along the coast will be a front row seat for Tsunamis. Bad idea man.

Fairbanks is probably a good spot but man oh man is it cold there (except on the 4th of July when it gets up to 40 degrees F).

FYI one of the most stable areas on the continent is in south eastern Canada on the formation called the Canadian Shield. This is very ancient mountains that have completely eroded away. That's the sort of place you should be looking at.

Why not build an ark? With all the publicity you could raise enough money to move to Cancun and babe it up for a few years while you wait for the big one. A guy could do worse.

Really dude, I'm serious here. Stay away from unstable plate and coastal areas.

Me? I'm gonna "rock 'n roll" right here in southern California. Yeehaw.
edit on 7-2-2011 by trailertrash
edit on 7-2-2011 by trailertrash because: because
extra DIV

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join