It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In fear of what may come I have moved to Alaska with $800.00 in my pocket.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
OP - So, to survive armeggedon, you moved to an area that could be covered in glaciers, fall into the ocean, and has no women.

As a way of surviving goes, it might be a tad short-sighted.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by legalizeit

Funny you should ask, btw I am about as far from Rambo'ish as one can get. I am a former Marine but I was an 0151 (Admin) so not a grunt or anything close. But yeah the ramen noodle thing, there is a Costco up here (awesome) and have stocked up on ramen noodles. I am already experimenting with different dishes you can make with Ramen. I have found that with the right kind of syrup and butter, cooked Ramen noodles can be a very tasty breakfast food. Try it.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by robotically

Good for you. Taking responsibility for your actions. Kinda like a later-day Jack Kerouac.

Would appreciate your story. Would make one helluva book!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Well come on, I know there is a women shortage but we have loads and loads of mountains! I was talking to a guy from the EPA who was here at some kind of summit where the state of the environment is discussed with the aboriginals and he even said that this was the best place to be for the next 10 years.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well, as a form of birth control goes you got it down pat.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by robotically

...good for you... at the very least, when you get old, you wont have those coulda shoulda blues... when you have time, post some pics for us to drool over...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thank you! Finally someone who is a bit supportive. Why do so many people have to bash others? I am just trying to survive but I dont want to "just survive" ya know? I am being proactive about it. I was headed downhill living in New York, with a failed business and just feeling sorry for myself I wanted a new start. I wanted that new start to be in the safest place possible for this possible coming shift. You may think I'm crazy but Im giving it my best shot.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
You're at SEA LEVEL, dude. Plus, there's no way out except by boat or plane. You're stuck. Look up "Alaska Earthquake" and find out what happened last time. Geologically speaking a far better area to be in would be on a shield area such as the Dakotas. Good luck, though. Sounds like you are doing something positive for your own self. Anything that can lessen your stress level is a good thing. What kind of job did you get?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Except for earthquakes due to the close proximity of multiple crustal plate faults, Juneau should be a good place to experience the End Days. Good seafood up there!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

I will definitely. Stay tuned to this thread for upcoming pics then. I think you all should come up here. Be good to have some like minded peeps to chill with. Im not saying people up here are that much different but they are kind of behind the times. Its like a bubble where everything inside is unaffected by things happening down south. Its very self sustaining.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Have always dreamed of moving to Alaska, it is so beautiful and pristine. That and a few extra pounds may not be so undesirable up that way.

I had a GF who became a dancer and made tons of cash. She stayed long enough to rack up the dough and then came back down started a business and did well in life afterwards.

Could'nt you get an exciting job working for the Gov.? Good pay and retirement?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I am a computer tech and your right, great seafood up here. Though honestly, I will never ever ever eat Salmon again, ever! But I love love love Halibut, I never had it before I moved up here, on my last housecall for the company I work for the client tipped me a pound of Halibut and I couldnt wait to get home and cook it up! MMMM MMM! I ate it so fast I ended up with 3rd degree burn all over the inside of my mouth lol. It was worth it...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Well let me tell you, when I first got here I was panicking, I was so so far away from home and I just knew it was make it or break it. I spent every day at the Juneau Job Center working with the Veterans Job Rep, Zeno, coolest guy ever, very helpful. There are so many job opportunities up here it would blow your mind. Now the cost of living is pretty high but you can live cheap if you try. The pay is unbelievable also, CNAs start out at like 20$ an hour. A guy I met up here who just moved up from Arizona just landed a help desk job for a hospital making over 50k a year. m at around 40k a year but I just started in September. I am doing well for myself and feel safe even though I am near the ocean. The land is chock full of resources and if it comes down to it I can always live off the land as many natives do already up here.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by robotically
I made it, I'm here. After all that I've learned of what may come I decided not to sit around and wait for it. I picked up and moved to Alaska with little money in my pocket. I looked at jobs and ended up working in a cannery in Petersburg for the Summer. It was hell and I don't recommend doing it unless you have no other option. It is very dangerous and the pay sucks. I was working 16hr days toward the end of the summer when things picked up. We were processing millions of pounds of salmon a day. It is truly amazing that Salmon even exist with all that we took over the Summer. It was disgusting work, very unclean and not sanitary at all. Well I finished out the Summer there with a broken hand not to mention that I put a fillet knife through my palm the first two weeks I was there, I'm definitely not cut out for that type of work. I could not believe how many foreigners were working there. It was like I was in a really cold part of Mexico. I was the minority (Caucasian) the rest were from parts of Russia and Mexico.

Anyway, I hopped on a ferry for 60 bucks and made it to Juneau. When I got here I stayed at the Juneau International Hostel for 10$ a day until I found a place to stay, I was renting a room for 700$ a month. That wasn't the best option either but it was all I had, this person I was renting from had (no joke) 40 different birds making noise 24/7 it was driving me crazy. I got a really good job and have since moved out and now I am wondering if I picked a safe part of Alaska... Im in Juneau obviously and pretty close to the ocean.

I was looking at some maps and I am pretty sure I am as safe as I can be for the coming polar shift. I am surrounded by mountains which I hope will break up the tsunamis if and when they head this way. The mountains will act as gigantic break walls there are many of them between myself and the ocean. If someone could look at my location and let me know if there might be a better place I would appreciate it.

I have most of my survival gear purchased and just need to find a cheap place to get MREs or some other type of food ration. Thanks, any help or suggestions would be awesome, you guys are the best! I love the ATS clientele.

I have a pretty amazing story so ask questions, fire away!

This is why people need to take a time out form these sites. It scares the living CRAP out of some people.

Whats about to happen???

Have fun in Alaska!!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I have a friend who worked at a cannery, I forget where it was though. He's told great stories about how the guys tossing fish to each other would sometimes try to surprise the catcher with a big messy one...

And how he'd have to stand up on the back of a giant bin/dumptruck trying to scare off all the hungry [bald]eagles, otherwise the eagles make a mess and eat themselves fat and can't fly away...

Go to your local dump/transfer station as much as possible. Just the other day I got a big bundle of unopened MRE heaters, and there's no telling what kind of good useful stuff people are going to throw away.

Have you been up here before? Do you have any real problem with mosquitoes?[

Oh, and about being protected from any kind of pole shift... I'm pretty sure alaska has been underwater before..
Just recently there was a show that aired a bunch of times on pbs about dinosaurs and all kinds of fossils being found up towards the north, but I still don't know if you should consider it all ocean-proof.

edit on 7-2-2011 by alaskan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by topdog30

Your absolutely right, I am a bit scared at the moment but this has been building ever since I started visiting this site. I have done a lot of my homework have gathered as many facts as I could without burning myself out. I am single young'ish and ready for whatever the future holds. I am standing my ground from here on out. Just to give you an idea I have been talking to many of the locals here in Juneau, they cannot believe the weather we are having, to them it is unnatural. It was so warm the other day I had my sun-roof open and windows down. This kind of unseasonable weather has many people here asking "what the hell!?" I have nothing to compare it to since I have just arrived but if it walk like a duck and quacks like a duck then... it a cat? s that what your saying? I moved up here because of a cat?! lol

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
We're a year away from moving to the middle of nowhere, can't wait. I just hope we didn't wait too long

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Hey bro, so your a fellow Alaskan? Cool, yeah, let me tell you something really weird, right now it is literally freezing outside but I like to sleep with the window open a bit, well now I dont because apparently there are some very confused mosquitoes flying around out there and they come right through the opening of my window. How can they be fling around now? I thought they were summer insects.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by oldgoat

Good luck, can you give me an idea of your plan? I would really like to hear it.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This will be another yours private travel experience and nothing more .Gl in Alaska . I expect from you to write on this thread your coming back from Alaska when nothing happens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join