It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS Seizes Websites for Merely LINKING to Copyrighted Material

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

DHS Seizes Websites for Merely LINKING to Copyrighted Material

www.infowars.com

These new actions by the DHS and the courts seem to be motivated more by private corporate profits than by actual copyright law. Nonetheless, the agenda seems to be to make nearly every website that links to copyrighted material guilty of criminal infringement, thus justifying arbitrarily blacklisting domains deemed to be in violation of such a broad precedent. This is yet another Napoleonic guilty-until-proven-innocent action, apparently displaying the corporate state’s lack of concern for the rights of individuals and small businesses. What’s more, it is also another tyrannical tool be
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7-2-2011 by EssenSieMich because: sp

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Yes merely linking to material that may be copyrighted has become cause for seizing unwelcome domains. Guilty until proven innocent has become the norm and as usual these new police state tactics will only be used against enemies of the state.

In other words - THIS very post - by linking to the story, is grounds for ATS being seized by 'Homeland Security'.

The time to remain asleep is long passed, everyone really needs to become politically active now if you want to preserve any rights that you have left.

www.infowars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7-2-2011 by EssenSieMich because: sp

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
You might want to review what sources are considered acceptable for this forum. Alex Jones is not one of them.

Any source of timely information in the "alternative topics" arena is a valid web site to be used as your source, as long as it is the originator of the story. Source web sites that quote other sites as the source of the story are not allowed, and may result in the immediate removal of your submission without warning or explanation. Also, if your submission is of a political nature, only mainstream news sources are allowed. Do not use blogs or "rumor mill" web sites as your source for political news. This provides some much-needed clarification of what kinds of sources are allowed. Essentially any mainstream news web is a valid submission source. If you source a web site outside the "mainstream," it must be the original source -- the creator -- of the story you're submitting. Also, due to problems in the past, only mainstream sources are allowed for politically-slanted news submitted to Breaking Alternative News... blogs and rumor sites have proven to be way too biased or full of outright lies.

From the guidelines

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

Here is the original source on the Huffington Post. They advance a theory and I agree whole heartedly. Once again the US government serves its true masters: Big Money and corporate profits.

Rojadirecta.org One Of Several Sites SEIZED By U.S. Authorities

The seizure of the site is particularly controversial because Rojadirecta, a Spanish site, was found by Spanish courts to be operating legally. The domain's closure has been accompanied by a spate of other crackdowns by the government: Other sports-streaming websites such as ATDHE.net, Firstrow.net, ChannelSurfing.net, and Ilemi.com have also been seized by the authorities. It's a controversial move that comes just ahead of the Super Bowl.

edit on 7-2-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Almost the entire purpose of putting information on the internet is so that it can be linked to.

This is, for want of a better word, stupid. Don't want your stuff linked to or hit on? Don't put it out there.

These corporations are desperate because they're not finding a way to profit without opening themselves up to things they are not prepared to deal with and can't handle. They are unable to wrap their tiny corporate brains around the concepts or shift their paradigm, so they attack in illogical ways.

Them sending DHS out to do their dirty work for them is what's most ludicrous about this entire situation. I hope they're paying them because these are their concerns are not ours, and the DHS is not their henchman.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Ah well, there goes the internet. Time to get a trademark on "Twitchy".

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Is it just me, or does this NOT sound like a security issue?

Are they really running out of things to do? With all the liberty they're diligently taking away, you'd think their pallet full. Maybe the TSA has allowed them to slack off a bit...hmm

"GET RID OF THE TSA! THIS IS A MATTER OF HOMELAND SECURITY!!!"

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
So why is google, yahoo, bing etc. still online? Aren't those the biggest pirates of all then or have they paid their way out of the witch hunt?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Compiling links to current live video streams is basically what goggle does with available web pages. If the corporations wish to protect their investment then they should use encryption or advertising. These court cases will go on for some time, as with Napster. There are still heaps of free mp3 and other music on the internet.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
As of the seventh of this month, America On Line has agreed to buy the Huffington Post for $315 million dollars.
Google "Huffington Post bought" to see the articles about the purchase.

One more alternative news site that will shortly go down the drain by being forced to spew out pap such as that produced by USA today.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
DHS... don't they have suspected terrorists or insurgents at home or abroad they need to be busy protecting us against?

I mean - if they are have time to waste doing silly things like this that has absolutely nothing to do with homeland security then all threats must be gone and we must be safe and sound!

Seriously - how is this anywhere near their job description and something they should be wasting time on? Just put a "sponsored by MegaCorp" logo under the DHS symbol and be done with it...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
There goes Wordpress and any other blogging software that has a linkback feature. My signature goes to my site so that's probably illegal too. I'm so sick of this crap, I'm sorry I ever heard of the internet in the first place.

new topics

top topics

join