It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was shocked in class today.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'm in a sports psychology class and our teacher was discussing leadership. We had watched a video where a man gave a speech and then was starting to cry at the end of it, the teacher got on topic of males crying during speeches especially athletes. Two girls chimed in and said that they think that men who cry in those positions show weakness. My teacher was completely surprised as was I. He said "im confused because i thought girls like it when men cry because it shows that they CARE"...but nope these girls go on about how it shows weakness. It kind of made me mad because realistically the athletes that do cry are crying in HAPPINESS because for example they won a superbowl and they are so happy that they are crying because its been a long season and they finally achieved their goal. What do you guys think? I really hope its just a few girls who think this because humans are emotional beings and crying is just a way we show our feelings it doesn't mean we are weak....

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Thyhorrorcosmic

No it's true. Women dont like men who cry. They want men who will be strong and protect them and their children. That's in the DNA, bro.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Imo men who are able to cry and show emotion are not cowards it's those who think it's wrong to show it who are the cowards. Nobody should tell you not to let your emotions out. Holding them in only hurts you. I prefer a man who can cry or show emotion when something upsets them to that point or out of happiness. There is nothing wrong with it.

I don't get many women today and their views on men.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Males in positions of power. Ie Alpha Males are percieved to be strong as a rock.
It's stereotypical yeah. But that's the perception.

Strong and powerful yet compassionate and calm.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I get the whole alpha male concept, but i have trouble to this day letting out my feelings and i feel like a coward for not doing so. I think the man that lets his feelings out is not a coward because it takes a lot to let it out especially in front of others...thats why i dont like to let mine go is because fear of what others think that are around me.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
i cant cry even if i wanted to

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Losing control of overwhelming emotions is a weakness. There is nothing bad about it though. Emotions may be really intense sometimes, especially in cases that you are talking about.
If a man is washed by tsunami does it show his weakness?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Personally I think people who deny emotion are weak. Even though it can bring you down some times, it certainly does give you a shock or a kick afterwards, reminds you that you are indeed you, and that is what I like to call Human. Without emotions we are not Human, simple as really...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I'm not saying that men don't get emotional...They just need to hold it in. really.

If men cried a lot we would have never won World War 2.

Unless it's in front of his mother, a man should cry in the closet. No one likes to see a man who cries too much. Look at Speaker of The House John Boehner. He cries at the drop of a hat. It's pathetic and a sad sight.

Leaders don't cry. There's no crying in leadership.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I would ignore the opinion of those females, who will go on and meet males that may abuse them and then start crying about males being too masculine. You can tell them that when you go back into class, if your not trolling.

For me there will be one gender one day, and i think we are on the way there, and i think its going to happen as humans cannot carry on like this lol. But until then females will never be satisfied, and i cannot truly say what i feel about this and what there conclusion was, lol.

edit on 2/7/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I have to agree with Mblahnik here, my husband doesn't cry at the drop of a hat or anything, but we just made the tough decision to put our cat to rest due to an ongoing sickness and sometimes when she on his shoulder (she's a cuddler and loves to be up on your shoulder and nuzzle) I've seen him cry for her. That to me does not show weakness, it shows love, compassion and sympathy. He's strong when he needs to be. And I'd rather have a man who knows what it is to trust me enough to show his emotions and let me know when he really needs me to comfort him, rather than keeping it forced down inside and cutting off the vital communication that is necessary in keeping a marriage or any relationship strong. We are there for EACH OTHER instead of he's here for ME.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
To me, if you don't show emotion or cry than, I dont know what the hell you are, but your not a man. Or a human. This goes for crying in general, not just in front of others. If your mom dies, or your dad, your going to cry. I dont care who you are. That does not mean you let them out in front of others.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm not a crier myself, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I never saw my father cry but a kinder more thoughtful person you won't find. Tears don't equate to feelings, the same way if you don't cry doesn't mean you're a cold heartless person. I have always viewed crying as a pressure release valve so to speak, and crying is usually the result of intense emotion. Nothing wrong with shedding a tear whether you're male or female.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

What women say they like and what is actually true can be totally different. Women are a weird creature. 21 years on this planet and I still have probably only figured out 10% of their psychology.

There are several questions that need answers before you can draw any conclusions...what were they are feeling at the moment. Are they they only girls in the class? Were they raised by men? Did they recently get made fun of for crying? Is it that time of month? Maybe they don't like the professor and wanted to argue with him. Maybe they were bored? There are just too many circumstantial variables to draw any conclusions from.

Sometimes I don't even think women understand themselves.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I don't get many women today and their views on men.

and this coming from a woman..........no wonder I have such a hard time.

they can`t even figure themselves out.

edit on 2/7/2011 by tribewilder because: yadayadayada

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Regarding Leadership positions - IMO, your classmates were correct. When in that roll, crying does/will show weakness. There is a place and time...

edit on 7-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I have to agree with Ladyskadi. There are sometime when a mans tears can make you respect them even more, and other times you find yourself wondering, "Who has been sneaking estrogen tablets in to your beer?"
It just depends on the occasion.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Listen here! Men dont' cry, period. We're supposed to be tough guys, ya see, and that means NO crocodile tears!

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

He said "im confused because i thought girls like it when men cry because it shows that they CARE"...but nope these girls go on about how it shows weakness.

Nothing to be shocked about in that, the ladies like the sensitive guys that cry and show there emotions, only in theory and in there imaginations. Reality however is a whole different story, so if your a man it's OK to cry once in a while, just you know not in front of a woman, especially those who say it's OK for a man to cry. Because there lying, but just believe there saying the truth.

new topics

top topics

join