It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Are Just Posting For Stars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I was posting in a thread ironically about critically thinking. I have a rant.

I was told I just posted and insulted the OP for stars.

I was insulted twice in the thread by posters claiming to be critical thinkers themselves. This last time I was told to crawl back in my hole, which to me implies something nasty.

Here's my rant, feel fre to add your own rant about rude and ironic posters on ATS.

I respond to threads because I choose to. I dont respond to threads to insult, and please look at my stats, do I need stars? No I do not have to troll for stars. I tend to get them for good posts.

If you have nothing intelligent to say, why prove your ignorance by opening your trap and vomiting such drivel towards other posters? If you have a point there are ways of making it without breaking T n C. Which these insults do.

The irony of a poster degrading your post, with degrading insults, is apparently lost on these kind of posters.

Solution?

Alert button.

I come here for conversation, not insults, and this is the only board on the web I know where this is not tolerated and is actually taken care of 99 percent of the time.

Thats all.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It does seem from time to time people feel the need to take out their frustrations on others that don't share their viewpoint. It's ok to disagree but disparaging comments aren't necessary imo. Most "arguments" on here seem to be about opinion rather than facts. Like Mama always said "if you don't have anything nice to say stop typing". Have a good one.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Yeah, i do. So what??
Second line.
If i get one more star maybe i can change my background, all people will try to accumulate something if it is a form of currency, and stars is yummy good!!!
Now plz all gimme stars.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I registered on ATS last October. Right away I noticed that there were lots of members looking for "conflict". I would argue and insult back just to notice a repeated cycle of stupidity and realized I was just as bad because I was part of it. I must admit I am very stubborn and extreme in my views but I learned how to just ignore the "trolls". I also noticed ATS is a great place to discuss many topics with all types of people, even those who disagree. The small minority of trouble makers may get the odd sarcastic comment from me now days, that is all.

My advice is to show them you are better than them and just move on. I know it is tough to do sometimes, especially if they deserve it.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Hey I gave you a star for being non insulting to me or others in your response!!

Originally posted by g146541

Yeah, i do. So what??
Second line.
If i get one more star maybe i can change my background, all people will try to accumulate something if it is a form of currency, and stars is yummy good!!!
Now plz all gimme stars.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Good for you for realizing that the posting technique of insults is a losing battle. I admit to having had a row or two, but I was warned and my posts got removed. I have also tried to apologize for my rude behavior when I have lost control, and I have had more than one person do the same towards me, after we got into it. And from the moment the person contacted me to apologize all was forgotten.

I dont understand why people want to be taken seriously post direct insults (such as: you are a moron, etc.). If directed towards me I won't ever take you seriously until you apologize or talk it out with me. Sometimes people just had a bad day, and were using this forum as an outlet for them. Understandable.

Straight up trollign though, which is what I consider insults which are never apologized for, has no place here.

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I registered on ATS last October. Right away I noticed that there were lots of members looking for "conflict". I would argue and insult back just to notice a repeated cycle of stupidity and realized I was just as bad because I was part of it. I must admit I am very stubborn and extreme in my views but I learned how to just ignore the "trolls". I also noticed ATS is a great place to discuss many topics with all types of people, even those who disagree. The small minority of trouble makers may get the odd sarcastic comment from me now days, that is all.

My advice is to show them you are better than them and just move on. I know it is tough to do sometimes, especially if they deserve it.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
What your failing to address, and or identify, is that dependent on the topic at hand, some posters can be very passionate about their stand point. And though most try to embrace different opinions, once the " debate " that they feel so strongly about turns in a fashion against them, the responses tend to get emotionally based.
I will admit, I have called people out in their ignorance. But just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they too are ignorant, nor does it suggest they have no " knowledge" of the topic at hand as you claim.
Responses most often than not, become emotionally based. As the ol' saying goes, " if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"!
To the OP, i have seen you every now and then on threads, and sometimes, based off some of your responses I have seen, would suggest you bring some of this on yourself.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I've been lurking for a little over a year and ive read just about every post i've come across. I do this because somebody took the time and effort to post something they think is true. I've also noticed that about 80% of the replys are people agreeing with them,wanting more info, or wanting a debate which is more than ok. The other 20% are insults flaming and so on. IMO the 20% that do this are the one who don't the guts to stuff like that in person so they hide behind a computer trying to be a cyber tuff guy it's really kind of sad. Everytime i read an insult my first thought is always " Bless it's little heart, somebody needs a hug". As for the stars,flags "w", "k" i dont really see a point but i guess some people just NEED to feel like they are better than everybody else.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I respond to threads because I choose to. I dont respond to threads to insult, and please look at my stats, do I need stars? No I do not have to troll for stars. I tend to get them for good posts.

It seems to me - a completely impartial observer - that your (rather voluminous) ATS ego has been bruised and now you're having a tantrum about it.

I had a look at the thread in question and to be honest it looks like you set the ball rolling with your insulting first post. I'm not sure if you meant to offend the OP but it sure comes across that way. Why aren't you fighting your corner in that thread instead of here?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
My previous post apparently holds water. Sorry OP, but after reviewing your posts on the " critical thinking thread', further suggests my previous post stands true. After re-reading the conversation that transpired, you clearly instigated that one. Oh the irony.....you tried to depict yourself as a critical thinker, and yet reprimand another's reasonings behind the summarization of the thread... and yet you couldn't comprehend the Op of that threads explanation.
Thus, since your little feelings got hurt, to save face, you start this rant..hoping to find those who would take your side of the stance. Your preaching to the choir! The very fact that you instigated said comments on the other thread, then come here to do this " rant ", most likely lost you credibility with other ATS'ers who have seen you in the past...much like myself~

Nice try, but whats funny, your trolling on your own thread?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I was posting in a thread ironically about critically thinking. I have a rant.

I was told I just posted and insulted the OP for stars.

I was insulted twice in the thread by posters claiming to be critical thinkers themselves. This last time I was told to crawl back in my hole, which to me implies something nasty.

Here's my rant, feel fre to add your own rant about rude and ironic posters on ATS.

If you have nothing intelligent to say, why prove your ignorance by opening your trap and vomiting such drivel towards other posters? If you have a point there are ways of making it without breaking T n C. Which these insults do.

The irony of a poster degrading your post, with degrading insults, is apparently lost on these kind of posters.

Solution?

Alert button.

I come here for conversation, not insults, and this is the only board on the web I know where this is not tolerated and is actually taken care of 99 percent of the time.

Thats all.

you two face little .......lol i won't go that far .

but this is the origin of this womens rant .

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its not just me who sees right thru you . its other members as well.

Who are you kidding ?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I saw the above comment coming~ Hey hotbakedeater, you can stop and insert foot anytime now!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Regarding bringing it on myself.

I know I tend to hold strong povs on some subjects, and controversial ones as well. I welcome debate and passionate rebuttals of my points, but I won't tolerate a personal attack. In any debate a personal attack weaken the persons pov and is not acceptable.

There is a difference between holding a passionate pov and defending it, vs personal attacks.

I would hope I am bringing on strong rebuttals of points vs personal attacks. Why call me a moron, or tell me to crawl in a hole (said to a female can be rather insulting) or tell me to go back and watch sesame street? Really? You think anyone takes that kind of troll behavior seriously?

Why not prove I am wrong with a strong rebuttal of points?

I can more than handle the heat, I dont have to handle ignorant insults.reply to post by Whereweheaded

edit on Mon, 07 Feb 2011 15:48:51 -0600 by hotbakedtater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Because this is the place for rants. Also, my post to the OP was on point and contained no personal insults. Please carry it over and show the personal attack, I would like to see it (or them). And point out any hypocrisy.

Rant is where we can rant about anything, the thread in question has a topic, and my bitching and moaning is not on topic in that thread. I defended my pov, and my opening post was to ask the OP to defend and possibly strengthen his OP pov's.

It is called debate.

Not only that, the OP was not the one doing the nasty insulting, which is NOT part of a debate.

Originally posted by Silver Star

It seems to me - a completely impartial observer - that your (rather voluminous) ATS ego has been bruised and now you're having a tantrum about it.

I had a look at the thread in question and to be honest it looks like you set the ball rolling with your insulting first post. I'm not sure if you meant to offend the OP but it sure comes across that way. Why aren't you fighting your corner in that thread instead of here?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I don't need to garner credibility with anyone, thats not the point. And again if your post holds water, please point out my personal attacks or hypocrisy. Do you not understand what a debate is?

And I do not need anyone to take my side on any topic, I can handle myself, thanks.

I was not reprimanding the OP, I was furthering the debate he opened and asking for explanation and clarification.

It certainly did not warrant being called a moron, or being told to climb in a hole.

Debate the topic, don't use personal insults, very simple, and the basis of my on topic correct forum rant.

And I don't recall claiming I was a critical thinker, or I was not a critical thinker since the topic was not me.

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
My previous post apparently holds water. Sorry OP, but after reviewing your posts on the " critical thinking thread', further suggests my previous post stands true. After re-reading the conversation that transpired, you clearly instigated that one. Oh the irony.....you tried to depict yourself as a critical thinker, and yet reprimand another's reasonings behind the summarization of the thread... and yet you couldn't comprehend the Op of that threads explanation.
Thus, since your little feelings got hurt, to save face, you start this rant..hoping to find those who would take your side of the stance. Your preaching to the choir! The very fact that you instigated said comments on the other thread, then come here to do this " rant ", most likely lost you credibility with other ATS'ers who have seen you in the past...much like myself~

Nice try, but whats funny, your trolling on your own thread?
One

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

If you can handle the heat, then why start this thread to begin with? Why not stand your ground on what ever particular thread you may be visiting, and try to debate, and ascertain others thought processes, thus eradicating the need to have a rant to begin with?

IMO, you may, or may not have lost alot of credibility with other ATS'ers because of this rant. This could be your undoing.

P.s, i will say this though, you do have a pretty mouth!
( is that an insult or no ? maybe, maybe not )

BTW, from your other thread posts :

Did it take a lot of critical thought to post a youtube video someone else made, to clarify a point? A critical thinker should be able to illustrate her point without relying upon the work of another to do so.

Criticizing someones thread based on their post applications though not having a one word insult, is just as bad as doing so. You should have just kicked him in the nuts....atleast it wouldn't be publicly witnessed~
edit on 7-2-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

"Not only that, the OP was not the one doing the nasty insulting, which is NOT part of a debate"

but angel face ...

"Did it take a lot of critical thought to post a youtube video someone else made, to clarify a point?" your words ....

Are you attacking the mans critical thinking abilities ? when he is making a post about critical thinking ?

Do you realize what the point of the video was ? did you even watch it ?

"A critical thinker should be able to illustrate her point without relying upon the work of another to do so."

Now what if he found a really good video to help illustrate that point with visual aid ?

Have you never used refrences to make your point ? shall people attack you for that ?

"Who wants to be taking advice from someone on a topic in which he has shown none of the critical thinking he would like to see himself!

In fact, your OP almost illustrates that of which you are decrying."

who wants to take advice from you ? he shared critical thinking information for members to see. You missed the point of the thread .

You pretended like you had the slightest clue ... then people started questioning you !

then here you are in the rants section crying about what ? Nobody will take you seriously ?

Your a joke ,the ugliness started with you ....don't fear the consequences be prepared to face them

It was your words that started it all because you attacked the OP without understanding the basic premis of the thread .

your only hurting your self .

If i have offended you then please take accept my apologies !

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Do you not understand what a debate is?

Reading comprehension isn't your strongest suit is it? You look like your not a day older than 12, so why not stop with your assumptions and go back to re-runs of sesame street and leave the grown up talk for us adults. With your snide comments as I have graciously quoted from above, further suggests that not only are you trolling your own thread, but instigating, ( much like trolls do ) a non-argument. Run along....Run along now~

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Man so many debates on here turn into richard dawkins speech. You know the useless just call people names speech or try and put everyone down.

Richard dawkins really is the father of stupid internet speak

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
No need to apologize, I disagree with your premise and points, and that is called debate.

How sweet you think my face is angelic.
What I asked in my post to the OP was on topic, and meant to compell some further answers and defense from the OP. That is how debates go. I did not issue a personal attack, and the OP responded with well thought out non insultive replies, to which I responded.

I managed to do so without persoanl attacks. Others could not control their behavior, and I got personally insulted, called a moron, told to crawl in a hole and called a troll.

And yet I still have issued no personal attacks, I managed to control myself enough to just rant about it, in the proper section. I appreciate all who want to discuss the topic, and hope that everyone bothering to wander about my thread here, can at least look at this and acknowlegde my points, mainly that personal attacks weaken your pov.

I may not agree with a pov, but I wont toss around a personal attack and think it bolsters my pov, it never does.

And that was the point of my rant.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join