It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical Issue regarding toddler.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
My 18 month old is the same way and always has been. He frequently has blow outs where it just runs right out of his diaper. And the smell... is putrid. It is just awful

Ever heard of the brat diet? You probably have, but I will touch on it just in case you haven't. Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast, recently yogurt has been added to the diet for the benefits of the active cultures. Our doctor suggests this diet when our kids have a stomach bug but our littlest one is on it A LOT because he has such a problem with his belly. Bananas, yogurt and whole wheat bread have helped a bit.

He eats a banana and wholewheat peanut butter toast for breakfast, yogurt for a snack, and we limit milk and juice. We have to stay away from apple juice because it makes it worse. We also steer clear of sugary drinks/snacks. We also switched him from whole milk to 1 or 2 percent, and that has helped a bit as well.

I also have noticed that the smell is worse if is sick or has recently been sick. He is sick pretty frequently.

Have you asked his doctor about it? They might have some suggestions. They also might want to look into it a little deeper by running some tests.

Is he still having blowouts since being on the brat diet?

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

Not very often. It still happens once in a while. If he is on antibiotics, eats a food that doesn't like him, mother in law gives him too much juice, etc but we try to avoid all of that if we can.

Its a lot better than it was.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

My partner is a Peadeatric Nurse and she is here at the moment, she says the following for advice...

If you child is eating a lot of fruit and veg then you can certainly expect your child to Bm regularly and for it to be quite potent...its not really a bad thing. If you are concerned about it being too loose then try encouraging your child to eat more fibre, foods such as Red Meat, Banana's, Whole Foods i.e. Brown Bread etc. It could simply be a lack of fibre in his diet. If there is no improvement after an increase in fibre intake then she suggests seeing a Dr and getting tested for other conditions. If there isnt blood present in the Bm then that is a good sign but a loose Bm could very well be contributed to a high fruit and veg diet with a lack of fibre.

Its worth trying to increase the fibre and seeing if there is an improvement.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join