It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Rediscovery of Ancient Maya Sites-the Cave of the Red Hands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

With funding from the National Geographic Society/Waitt Grant program, Dr. Andrew Scherer and Dr. Charles Golden set out to explore the Middle Usumacinta River basin of Chiapas, Mexico, once a thriving area of Classic Maya (A.D. 250-900) society.

Entrance to the Cueva de la Manos Rojas (the Cave of the Red Hands)-Photograph by Andrew Scherer

Much of this region has not received archaeological attention since the late 19th century when explorer Teobert Maler first documented many of the ruins of the region. Maler identified a number of important archaeological sites, a few of which contained hieroglyphic monuments that have since been looted and are in museums and private collections around the world. By reading the inscriptions on these monuments, we now know that a significant portion of this region was once part of the great Maya polity of Piedras Negras.

Remains of a Classic period building at Budsilha, one of the sites first reported by Maler. When Scherer and Golden returned to the site they noticed centuries-old red hand prints on the interior wall, left by the Lacandon Maya. The left hand print was modified into the form of a human head wearing a headdress and ear flares. The right hand prints only become visible after digital manipulation of the original photograph

Not only did the team re-locate many of those lost sites but they also identified 15 previously unknown Maya archaeological sites. Although most of these new sites are rural settlements that consisted of only a few house groups, at least two new sites, Laguna Oscura and Uch Chan, appear to have been second-tier political centers within the kingdom of Piedras Negras. As a result of the team’s work, we now know that this sparsely populated landscape was once home to a vibrant tapestry of political centers and smaller farming hamlets.

Along the way, Scherer and Golden also found abundant evidence of the Lacandón Maya, descendants of the Classic period Maya who retreated to this remote region following the arrival of the Spaniards. The Lacandon left their mark across the landscape in the form of red hand prints, a form of veneration found in both caves and at the ruins of their Classic period ancestors.

Remains of a Classic period building at Budsilha, one of the sites first reported by Maler. When Scherer and Golden returned to the site they noticed centuries-old red hand prints on the interior wall, left by the Lacandon Maya. The left hand print was modified into the form of a human head wearing a headdress and ear flares. The right hand prints only become visible after digital manipulation of the original photograph

Source: science.nationalgeographic.com...

Witz -Ik trone from Piedras Negras note the same elements as the Quirigua gliph, double nouse, snake tails on mouth sides, rattle snake tail scales as tooths, the witz mountain element (upsidedown) under the human figures and in the top of the noses.

What can you say. The more we discover the more that becomes obvious. These folks were more advanced than we give them credit. They may not look like it-to the eyes but the remains they left behind. Amazing.

I dream of going to South & Central American someday to look around at these types of things. Especially since Egypt will be off the list-for a while anyway.

Would love to hear from ATSers that have visited here. Maybe post some of your personal pics etc.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Good find! S&F there is so much unexplored area in the mexico jungles. Makes me wonder what else is hiding out there. I have heard that pilots flying over the tree lines can make out pyramids, and ancient ruins that are basically impossible to get too due to the harsh jungle Environment in the area.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Yes, thank you. I forgot to mention that aspect to the story.

They found 15 other places while they were just checking things out. Literally a discovery of unknown amounts of infomation--- just laying around down there, hidden mostly.

I bet when all is said and done tha the complete picture of what we believe about Central & South America will be completely changed from what we think/know now. Look at the huge carving.

You try to do one.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What made them so advanced? The fact that they carved stones?
Just asking...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Edgar Cayce predicted that there was an Atlantean Hall of Records located in Piedras Negras!

They searched around a bit, but did not have the funding of the the National Geographic teams.

Cayce suggested that an ancient “Hall of Records” would be discovered at a time signifying the manifestation of this new level of consciousness.

As given, that temple was destroyed at the time there was the last destruction in Atlantis.

Yet, as time draws nigh when changes are to come about, there may be the opening of those three places where the records are one, to those that are the initiates in the knowledge of the One God:

The temple by Iltar will then rise again. Also there will be the opening of the temple or hall of records in Egypt, and those records that were put into the heart of the Atlantean land may also be found there - that have been kept, for those that are of that group.

The RECORDS are ONE.

I would encourage others to consider this information as I believe it's relevant. This could be huge because it may signify two coming events: the end of the world as we know it (change in global consciousness) and the return of a god-like figure, AND the discovery of the Hall of Records, which tells about the Atlantean culture and our link to them.

Exciting times indeed. THANK YOU OP. S&F

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

You have obviously not done much reading or even watched many documentries about the Mayan civilization. Many people belive the Mayans to be a bloodthirsty, sacraficial people but credit is not given where it is due.

The mayans had an understanding of the sinotes (excuse my spelling) those great big holes filled with water that are all inter connected & are connected to the sea too. They had irrigation systems, complex farming systems, built massive structures, carved beautiful carvings, made amazing jewlery of obsidan & jade and they also had the most complex counting system that took a lot of our most learned people to figure out. On top of that they also understood the planets, orbits & philosophized about the universe in general.

Some great books you may want to read are by an author called Maurice Cotterell, in one book called The Supergods he & others decipher a lot of glyphs, burial tombs & also death masks that were made from Jade. Another of his books is called The Mayan Prophecies these books offer a great insight into the Mayans their way of life, thoughts & their long count.

The Mayans were a truely amazing civilization & they are well respected by most people who learn about them. I hope in future you can take time out to learn a bit about something before you make nonsenseical comments on something you obviously know nothing about. I am not been insulting towards you, I am just defending a well written thread.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God
What made them so advanced? The fact that they carved stones?
Just asking...
I have been working with stones for ten years as a stone mason. Carving stone is friggin hard work and without the right tools it is impossible to do that type of work unless you know how to make metal tools and temper them. Do you know how to smelt metal and temper it from raw materials and do you know how to build stuff that will last for thousands of years???

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by theguygeeza

And an excellent job you did at that.

I keep my eyes on this area of the world for news of this type.

Someday, maybe we'll hear of something beyong Human doings.

You never know but can hope for.

Let me ask you. With what you wrote and seem to know. In your opinion, do you think they developed themselves or had outside influences (Alien or not)? Thanks in advance.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

Well I don't know anything about stone building, but they didn't have metal back then I don't think. I do believe I saw a documentary once where they used stone to shape stone. I am guessing maybe they used some kinda rubbing technique that took a long time, but they didn't have tv or computers back then so they had nothing but time.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Hi...

I'm working an archaelogy tour this month for two weeks to the Mayan ruins in Guatemala and Honduras. I've also been on two other archaeology tours of the Mayan ruins. I'd be happy to list the places I'll be visiting this month and offer to take any photos of things you might like me to focus on.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Copper tools and vine ropes....Yeah friggin right. We are all grasping at straws here, the answer to their badassery would be something like acoustic levitation or something like that. Or maybe they were just WAY STRONGER THAN YOU. "they had nothing but time on their hands" lol

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
its realy hard for me to believe they were able to quarry all that stone, shape it, move it, and build with it... all without metal tools, wheels, pulleys.. none of that.. no horses or any other beasts of burden.. just to clear the trees would have been so much work to be done by hand.. impressive... not to mention the Inca doing it high in the Andes like that... clearly, we aren't getting the whole picture of went down in the Americas..
although I'm limited by my experience, iv never seen an entire group of people come together to accomplish a common goal like that, must be a site indeed.. all i get to see is tired infighting, and division in the united states of i dont care about anyone else but myself...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012DragonSlayer

I hear you. That is one of the reasons I am so interested in that region.

I think we will find stuff there that will re-shape our world.

I have to say now that I think the peoples that we studied as to we believe they were the original inhabitans however, as I do with Egypt/Pyramids. Those people came apon them after some terrible Race Wipe Out. They had no idea what they were really for so they began to worship the temples etc.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Have you heard of the Chauvet Pont d' Arc Cave? There are a lot of similarities it seems in both caves. Only the Chauvet Cave is located in France. Very interesting material I definetly think it could shed some light on our human history.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I'm sorry, but I fail to see what makes them "more advanced than we gave them credit for" from your post. They carved a few stones - great. They put paint on their hands and printed them on a wall - i've done that.

It's just an observation.

I cannot wait until Christmas 2012....

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by itchy_tartan_blanket

Maybe you missed this post-above by GuyGeeza, which I think answers your post the best.

==========================================================================================
You have obviously not done much reading or even watched many documentries about the Mayan civilization. Many people belive the Mayans to be a bloodthirsty, sacraficial people but credit is not given where it is due.

The mayans had an understanding of the sinotes (excuse my spelling) those great big holes filled with water that are all inter connected & are connected to the sea too. They had irrigation systems, complex farming systems, built massive structures, carved beautiful carvings, made amazing jewlery of obsidan & jade and they also had the most complex counting system that took a lot of our most learned people to figure out. On top of that they also understood the planets, orbits & philosophized about the universe in general.

Some great books you may want to read are by an author called Maurice Cotterell, in one book called The Supergods he & others decipher a lot of glyphs, burial tombs & also death masks that were made from Jade. Another of his books is called The Mayan Prophecies these books offer a great insight into the Mayans their way of life, thoughts & their long count.

The Mayans were a truely amazing civilization & they are well respected by most people who learn about them. I hope in future you can take time out to learn a bit about something before you make nonsenseical comments on something you obviously know nothing about. I am not been insulting towards you, I am just defending a well written thread.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------

I bet you can't find one person that can make a carving like the last pic.
edit on 2/8/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

It's not hard to hire some stonemasons.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DayKnightmare
Copper tools and vine ropes....Yeah friggin right. We are all grasping at straws here, the answer to their badassery would be something like acoustic levitation or something like that. Or maybe they were just WAY STRONGER THAN YOU. "they had nothing but time on their hands" lol

You may not be aware of it, but many of those blocks and sculptures are limestone and not granite. Not all rocks are equally hard -- some can even be scratched by fingernails. In this case, the limestone quarries aren't up on mountains but are fairly close to the cities.

Limestone's pretty easy to carve (you can, in fact, carve it up with another rock (like flint).) It has a hardness of 2 (explained in this scale here: www.ethosmarblecare.co.uk... ) and isn't all THAT heavy. A one ton block is about 4 feet by 2 feet by 4 feet (I am speaking from experience) and can be moved by 4 or 5 men (speaking from experience.)

Nor would they have hauled it into jungle to build in jungles. These were put in great cities, and the landscape (now overgrown with trees) would have been cleared. They also built very sturdy and efficient roads paved with stone, many of which are in use today.

The civilization had advanced fiber technology, meaning that they could make very strong ropes and they wove beautiful cotton clothing and dyed it brilliant colors. They also had access to animal wool as well.

With that much technology, it's not that hard to carve a soft stone and move around large blocks of stone.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Google for "limestone carving" and use the images search. You'll find the equal or better has been done by every large civilization since 3500 BC (Egypt, for example.) It's really not that hard to carve soft limestone.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

One learns something everyday at ATS.

I did some more digging and I see what you are saying.

I found this little nice site also. If you are interesting in Mayan stuff, it's pretty good.

www.shortstreet.net...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join