It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video : First ever UFO documentary (?) - 1952

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
While doing a bit of reading and searching arising from my thread Getting to grips with UFO documentaries, I came across the full footage of a UFO documentary from 1952 entitled "The Flying Saucer Mystery" (embedded below):

"The Flying Saucer Mystery" is a brief Telenews documentary. It was shown in theatres after the famous Washing Nationals flap in 1952.

I thought some of you might be interested in this blast from the past.

I don't recall having seen any earlier UFO documentary.

Incidentally, the IMDB website has a page relating to this documentary which gives the (wrong) date for it of 1950. I presume that someone confused the above documentary with the 1950 movie "The Flying Saucer" (produced and directed by Mikel Conrad), a trailer for which can be seen below:

All the best,

Isaac
edit on 7-2-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I don't recall seeing an earlier documentary either, although I could be mistaken.

I liked that trailer you posted as the second vid. It contains better props than some of the "real" UFO footage posted around the internet, lol! I'm surprised someone hasn't already posted that as proof that they do exist.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Thanks! Great videos.

I wonder how much $ the federal government spent on that 'machine' that was used to conduct the 'experiment' on how to create light/formation from light paricles.

ROFL. What a joke-ster that fellow was... He read his bit as if there was an Agent in behind the camera with a gun and a Q-card.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Haven't seen this one before, thanks for posting.
Most of the footage is also included in later documentaries but I never heard about that East-German case before.
What a nice little gem you've found there.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by derpif
I never heard about that East-German case before.

Just in case anyone wanted to look into that one more, the relevant witness was Oscar Linke and his (alleged) sighting took place in 1952.

His case has been referred to in several UFO books and, with his name, you should be able to find some further details and drawings online, e.g.:

www.ufodna.com...

Hasselbach, Germany

40-50 feet frying pan-shaped object with two rows of one foot holes
Oscar Linke and daughter Gabriella spotted landed 40-50 feet frying pan-shaped object with two rows of one foot holes on the periphery, a ten feet tall black conical tower on top, about 450 feet away, walked towards it until at about 130 feet away saw two "men" in shiny metallic one-piece suits stooped over, and approached to within 30 feet of the "men," when Gabriella called out, the "men" were alarmed and jumped on the conical tower and went inside (object about 80 feet from witnesses?). The tower retracted, a cylindrical support column shifted position, object turned from green to red, a slight hum was heard, it lifted off the ground and started spinning, sound turned to a whistling as it accelerated and headed off toward Stockhelm. Linke found a round dug impression in the ground seeming to match the support column of the object.

www.ufoevidence.org...

Source: Kathimerini newspaper (Athens, Greece), 1952, found in declassfied CIA files

Berlin, July - Furnished with the sworn testimony of an eyewitness, Oscar Linke, a 48-year-old German and former mayor of Gleimershausen, West Berlin intelligence officers have begun investigating a most unusual "flying saucer" story. According to this story, an object "resembling a huge flying pan" and having a diameter of about 15 meters landed in a forest clearing in the Soviet Zone of Germany.

Linke recently escaped from the Soviet Zone along with his wife and six children.

Linke and his 11-year-old daughter, Gabriella, made the following sworn statement last week before a judge: "While I was returning to my home with Gabriella, a tire of my motorcycle blew out near the town of Hasselbach. While we were walking along toward Hasselbach, Gabriella pointed out something which lay at a distance of about 140 meters away from us. Since it was twilight, I thought that she was pointing at a young deer.

(- Read more on ufoevidence.com at the link above)

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Nice find. Definitely an interesting video from back in the day.
I particularly enjoyed what this guy said. Around 6:40 - 7:50 in the video. I think they said his name was Frank Scully.

They could have been souls that never were fouled up like our Adam and Eve, and never went through all of this. And if they are perfect souls elsewhere, the thing is, they're not kill-able. They're immortal already. So the idea of the Air Force telling us to shoot them down is idiotic.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
I particularly enjoyed what this guy said. Around 6:40 - 7:50 in the video. I think they said his name was Frank Scully.

Frank Scully is now generally regarded as, at best, rather gullible about - if not an actual participant in - one of the most infamous early UFO crash stories. He wrote a book about it ("Behind the Flying Saucers") which continues to generate some controversy.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I watched the semi-documentary "UFO - The True Story of Flying Saucers," in HD on Netflix last night. It's actually pretty well-balanced, and is primarily interested in getting people to understand that UFOs actually exist, rather than pointing a finger at any specific explanation. The best part about it is the best remaining footage of the Great Falls, Montana, and Premonton, Utah, Footage (before they got all the big chunks edited out of them).

The funny/sad thing about it, however, is that 60 years later, we're no further along explaining these things now than we were then. Still no solid answers.

That, in itself, has become a clue.

edit on 7-2-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
I watched the semi-documentary "UFO - The True Story of Flying Saucers," in HD on Netflix last night. It's actually pretty well-balanced, and is primarily interested in getting people to understand that UFOs actually exist, rather than pointing a finger at any specific explanation. The best part about it is the best remaining footage of the Great Falls, Montana, and Premonton, Utah, Footage (before they got all the big chunks edited out of them).

For those that haven't seen that classic movie based on several classic sightings (and featuring some footage from them), I'll embed below some clips from "UFO - The True Story of Flying Saucers" (1956) below:

As stated in the text accompanying those extracts on Youtube:

This video includes the segments of the film relating to Delbert C. Newhouse's UFO footage filmed at 11:00 AM MST, July 2nd, 1952 in the vicinity of Tremonton, Utah. At the time of filming Newhouse was a Chief Photographer, Commissioned Warrant Officer in the U.S. Navy.

Included in this video is a rehearsed but accurate interview with Delbert Newhouse regarding the filming. Also included is a summary of the original conclusions of the Photo Reconnaissance Laboratory at Wright Patterson Air Force Base and the U.S. Navy Photo Interpretation Center as well as some breakdown analysis of the footage.

As stated in the text accompanying those extracts on Youtube:

This video includes the segments of the film relating to Nick Mariana's UFO footage filmed in 16mm on August 15th, 1950 in Great Falls, Montana. Included in this video is a rehearsed but accurate interview with Nick Mariana regarding the filming as well as some breakdown analysis of the footage.

Originally posted by Blue Shift:

The funny/sad thing about it, however, is that 60 years later, we're no further along explaining these things now than we were then. Still no solid answers.

I'm not sure is that is a clue to anything more than the disorganised nature of ufology, with its limited funding, constant sniping and highly polarised discussions.

All the best,

Isaac

edit on 7-2-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Thanks to the OP,
A good part I had seen before. But I had not seen an "of the day" report of the East German story, although I had read about it. There were other film reports later, but I don't recall any of them explaining the, on the face of it ridiculous "conning tower" you would have to know the written story to understand. One of the newspaper clips is interesting, in that it refers to century old stories of flying discs. We still get those references, only now they go back millenium. The newsreel itself is well presented, much as you would see today really.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

I just loved the giant dual exausts on the flying saucer in the second vid! Vroom Vroom. The 50's was the era of big bad cars. Big fins and blastin dual exaust systems.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
There's a lot more documented earlier than that. I tried to find the link but, no success. Anyone else - timeline of UFO sightings?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MavRck
Thanks! Great videos.

I wonder how much $ the federal government spent on that 'machine' that was used to conduct the 'experiment' on how to create light/formation from light paricles.

ROFL. What a joke-ster that fellow was... He read his bit as if there was an Agent in behind the camera with a gun and a Q-card.

Just about every docu on just about anything, they talked like that right into the 60's

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
nice vid enjoying it .. i thought i had seen them all . until now.

thanx!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by StlSteve
There's a lot more documented earlier than that. I tried to find the link but, no success. Anyone else - timeline of UFO sightings?

Hi StlSteve,

Just to be clear, there certainly were lots of UFO sightings prior to 1952. (I've written a timeline of the most frequently discussed UFO sightings that is nearly 2,000 pages long which includes quite a few such sightings).

However, the title of the thread refers to the first UFO documentary. I'm not aware of any UFO documentaries dating from earlier than 1952.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Greetings everyone.. Just paying my respect to earn the right to post threads on this site.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Hi Blue Shift, I did find the whole semi-documentary on youtube so thought I post it here.

new topics

top topics

join