It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did anyone notice the pre-game message about the Declaration of Independence?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
What do you suppose the significance of it is? We've talked about freedom, and our constitution much over the months, here at ATS and other places. I'm wondering about the motive behind its mention at the Superbowl?

And this is one part that strikes at me.

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,"

I have never heard like this at any Superbowl. I'm just wondering, is it part of a movement? Has anyone ever seen the Declaration of Independence at the Superbowl?

I was happy to see it mentioned, but at the same time, does it have any deeper meaning to it?

The video.

www.youtube.com...#

Troy
edit on 6-2-2011 by cybertroy because: deleted sentence

edit on 6-2-2011 by cybertroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

Yes they have done it before.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I thought it was a little odd as well, considering all the high security anti-freedom atmosphere around the whole super bowl, that I have read about. I have heard that they do this every year, but I don't recall it being done previously either.
edit on 6-2-2011 by stardog987 because: didn't me to reply to the 2nd poster specifically, just trying to reply to the thread in general. New to the site, still working the cinks out.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
At any rate, it was a well made video. We should remember that document, and what it stands for. We should never let anyone destroy our founding documents.

Troy

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Seems to me it might be due to the chaos in Egypt. That would be my first guess? In any other situation where Egypt was peaceful I would say that it was really odd. I don't remember it before but I've only really offered my attention to three in my twenty two years of life. It still seems a little odd anyway. Not really sure what to tell ya.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The US needs a new declaration. Not being from the US all that was going through my head watching that was...

"Who the hell do you think you guys are!!!?"

I'm glad you are all proud of your country, we all are but that seemed like ya all just wanna pick a fight

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
If we could trust our leaders to uphold what was said, that would be a good thing. And that's what we want. Those freedoms upheld.

And, no I'm not one of the people who is picking a fight. That's not what I want. I did not ask for these wars that are occurring at this point in time.

Troy
edit on 6-2-2011 by cybertroy because: added content

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Sounds consistent with the theory TPTB want a revolutions.

Was a hint for people to get of their asses and out the gubberment...whiiiiich might have worked in 1776...but lol I don't know about today.

they are antagonizing "the people" into a fight we won't win...not through violence anyhow.

The best way I can sum up a good approach to outing the "system" is realizing WE ARE THE SYSTEM...much like "fight club". We are your mail men, pilots, police, fire-fighters, medics, doctors, construction workers....etc we are the system we run the system NOT THE MONEY!

We just have been so conditioned to believe money runs the system and that is why we should listen to some frail limp **** elitist banker...when really he has no say so...he doesn't have the keys to the nukes...hes not operating the controls of the power plants, and water supply, hes not growing our crops or driving the trucks...WE ARE

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

It's not picking a fight, it's about how far citizens can be pushed before they start pushing back. Under constant pressure of taxes, trying to live civily in a society where actions (as small as normal bodily functions e.g. the law against farting in Malawi public thread) are increasingly made illegal, where now even speech is being pressed on. Do you press back or do you get pressed right out of your independance and individuality?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom goose
The US needs a new declaration. Not being from the US all that was going through my head watching that was...

I'm glad you are all proud of your country, we all are but that seemed like ya all just wanna pick a fight

No offense but I'll keep my Declaration.

I didn't watch the clip or any of the SuperBowl though.

Why is it that non-Americans always hate our Founding Documents so much?

They never actually list any legitimate reasoning either, it's just blind hate.

Maybe your local media and education institutions over there are spreading misinformation and lies about it??

Well, I will tell you now, the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Declaration of Independence, etc, are the only thing holding the US Govt back from becoming outright tyrants and totally oppressing everyone.

If you think we should be oppressed, than you are way misled by the psychological disinformation.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
In my opinion, given the current situation in Egypt, the American government just wanted to... shall i say....reel us in...make us feel all warm and fuzzy...remind us about all the good that we have here in the states.....other than that i kinda felt christina aguilera screwing up the national anthem was more of wtf moment...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I think this is our marching orders. It is time to rise up and throw off the yoke of the corperate King Georges and take our country back from those that would exert their will over the people of this nation. It is time to let freedom ring, or we will all go down under the spit-shined heel of the power suited corperate entities.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I like our declaration just fine, it is still a defining document in the hearts of the American people...I image what was going through your head wasn't that much different than what was going through King George's head 230 years ago

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

How does that seem like we want to pick a fight? That was the document that created this country that gave the people of this country the freedom to invent most of the things that make your life easier. What country are you from anyway that you are insulted by our Declaration of Independance?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I don't hate your declaration... i just think it is getting dated.

Like G.I joe, which i have to change the channel to when ever it comes on so my son doesn't see such violence, it is a new world we live in.

If i was GB i would have something to say about your declaration kinda like "get over it" but I'm canadian so i can understand where it comes from.

We are not supposed to be a planet of fighting for freedom anymore, at least it wasn't untill 9/11, now it's all about you guys and your defense again
like the british would say "get over it"

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
NOt the first time they have recited it before the superbowl, it's only significance is to inspire, nothing more.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Here is the video of the segment as it aired.

I found it very awkward myself.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Actually this is the first time the Declaration of Independence was read, it's in entirety, prior to the Superbowl. The only information I have been able to find as to why it was read comes from [url=http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redskins/2011/2/6/1978866/super-bowl-xlv-declaration-of-independence-commercial-joe-gibbs-donovan-mcnabb]HERE[/ url]

The running joke (well, maybe that's not the right word) is that the NFL is essentially an extension of the military, given the violent nature of the sport and all. In an attempt to feed this perception, the NFL just ran a long advertisement that featured a reading of the Declaration of Independence. The men leading the charge? None other than our own Joe Gibbs and Donovan McNabb. Gibbs is a legend around these parts for his work as the Redskins' head coach, and McNabb is, at least for now, a member of the current Redskins. I suppose it makes a tiny bit of sense to have them leading the charge, since they are associated with our nation's capital, but it's still not the two people you probably expected. The segment as a whole, for what it's worth, was just awkward. I guess I understand the connection between football and our American heritage, but was an entire reading of the Declaration really necessary? Did it really provide anyone with a sense of American pride, or did it really just reinforce that we're a country that cares way too much about a violent game?

edit on 7-2-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
That was very well filmed. Since most Americans do not read, it was a good idea to put the Declaration in a media form where it would reach the masses. Even then, the words probably went in one ear and out the other. But you can't blame them for trying.

Considering what's happened in Tunisia and Egypt, the document is very current. Curiously enough, there is no mention of a Centralized Government having power in the Declaration of Independence.

That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do.

They should have remained Free and Independent States.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Well, this brought tears to my eyes.

If your government steps on you, then you have the right to destroy it and hit the reset button as it were.

Case closed. It's what America is all about.

... It's what all of these other countries don't understand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join