It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some ATSers need a lesson in Critical Thinking

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

Na, group think doesn't jive with me all to well.. I will stay somewhat in rational thinking land.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
in my experience, 90% of ATSers are aspiring philosophers, NOT mathematicians. and emotional romantics. that includes erra-body in this thread. "deductive reasoning" isnt really a strong feature of this board. it`s especially adorable when folks here mistake exercises in creative writing for deductive logic. but whatever, i love ATS just the way it is.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
What we really need here are more valid government/military insiders with genuine pictures and information, otherwise we just end up talking to ourselves about out latest theory about what we think they are up to, without really being "Above Top Secret".

In a way, it is a lure for many paranoid types, however its also a kind of therapy, especially if the light of reason is shown to them.

In actual fact, I have done a subject called "Critical Thinking" - being able to understand and interpret arguements, I found it most valuable, but to tell you the truth I am looking for specific and new information on this site, although adding my 2 cents or having the odd rant is something that I also partake in. We need to find out how to access the so-called secret information, we must form groups in our local areas, we must lobby our governments, we must try to make ties to people "in the know" - however, sites like this are designed exactly to inhibit such behaviours, and to monitor us so that we do not collect together and start making real changes in our local areas. Most of the time, we are just chasing our tails.
edit on 7-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

I say, get a grip, dude. It's a message board. Reading the nutty posts are the best part of this site, in my opinion. Life is incredibly boring without crazies. It's a conspiracy forum....you don't want everyone having avatars with transparent bodies with sparkles coming out and speaking in philosophical mumbo jumbo do you? Just as not every poster wants to have to put together a freakin science project to post on this board.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MeSoCorny

I half agree. But the problem is, we';re here to deny ignorance, and to do that, we must critically think about each topic presented. As a critical thinker, I'm not going to tale your word that the ufo video is real. I'm going to look at it logically, then technically, and draw a conclusion from there.

The problem with ATS is at least half the people here are self centered diluted individuals that post stuff here for 1 of 2 reasons.

1, to have people blindly agree with whatever they are saying, simply because they said it.
2, to "pull one over" on us and have a laugh.

We're not allow to critically think about their subjects because we have no "faith" and are "non-believers" and hurt their feelings when asking for elaboration.

Sure every moron on earth that signs up here has a right to post whatever they want, that includes my right to debunk the f$ck out of their posts.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

Most people in west need a course in it. They somehow believe in there arrogance they know about the world, lol.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

K C Believe it or not. You have people, with in the confines of these abstract walls, we refer to as ATS. That arn't interested in any kind of thinking. There are others, who have just found out they can think. Also people
who every time they think, they get into trouble. Some people think safty first. There are positive thinkers, as well as negative thinkers. Constructive or creative thinking, opposite of destructive thinking. I imagine there are some thinkers, who are real stinkers.
edit on 7-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Critical thinking, in its broadest sense has been described as "purposeful reflective judgment concerning what to believe or what to do."
WIKIPEDIA

Critical thinking is that mode of thinking - about any subject, content, or problem - in which the thinker improves the quality of his or her thinking by skillfully taking charge of the structures inherent in thinking and imposing intellectual standards upon them.

Pffft. Critical thinking is too easy

edit on 7-2-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Personally I think critical thinking starts with honest questions, and I think all of us on here have asked a "stupid" question or made a "stupid" comment. Isn't it part of learning? If every time kids asked us a simple question and we laughed or ridiculed them they will lose their desire to learn. I've seen many helpful responses to new members but I have also noticed a lot of mean spirited comments that aren't necessary. If you don't like a comment ignore it, there's no need to ridicule someone for their lack of knowledge. Everyone on this site is either searching for answers or looking for someone they can share their thoughts with. We should challenge each other to find the truth without shooting down the people who have just started asking why. Have a good one.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
You speak of personal rants and have made yours in a very constuctive and eductaed way. Star for you! I do not feel that you can teach any one of the readers on here anything what so ever all the time you feel you are above the person whom you are trying to teach, Your copying the schools way of teaching and this creates a biased view. I feel its every bodys right to say what they feel and who are you to say other wise, Prehaps you will find the critcal thinkers you so desire on the forums of the below link.

www.open.ac.uk...

Regards

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I see what you're saying. Of course things should be thought about. It's a forum for discussion. So if someone says a hamster farted out an Alien Jesus hybrid I should hope that someone would point out the obvious. I just don't see the need for an entire thread regarding this "issue." I think some people take this board way too seriously.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

RE: TLDR. I scan text quickly and resent taking the extra time needed to watch a video, just to get info. ...This one is very good, concise and worth watching - but most aren't. ...Usually, I can get all the key points in 30 seconds of reading instead of wasting 5 minutes to watch a vid, or gawdforbid a half hour news show.

S&F&
&Thanks - will link on my Facebook page.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It says critical thinking gets us not to challenge authority.. Since when did this occur? Some of the people on this forum are here because they challenge something someone in authority stated.. I will take 9/11 for example. They said the buildings fell because of fire. Some of us know that its basically impossible to bring these buildings down by fire.. This is us challenging authority..

I don't get this video.. Its stupid and not thought out..

Yes people need to learn to think, but it is up to them to know how to learn to think on their own and however they want. whether its the old fashion way or drilling a hole through the skull and inserting a computer.. Either way they learn how to think.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

"Did it take a lot of critical thought to post a youtube video someone else made, to clarify a point? A critical thinker should be able to illustrate her point without relying upon the work of another to do so."

Actually he used visual stiimulatin because alot of the people believe it or not learn better with visual then text.

Don't attack the messenger for a few stars .. What he did was post up a good video for people to see . Not for you to sit here and give us your two cents about why he should've done it in a differnt manner. Why don't you make a thread about it ? miss know it all .

Back in your hole you go.

This is for you ...

edit on 7-2-2011 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
There are some excellent definitions of critical thinking in this thread. But we are missing a key component. In order for anyone to think critically, they must have their critical faculties turned on. It is those faculties that keep us from running through our daily lives in absorbtion mode. Meaning we analyze nothing, and it all comes in under the radar. This, unfortunately, is how most people spend their days. We are an instant society. We want it all, and we want it now. TLDR indeed. We watch massive amounts of TV. We have advertisement, sounds, video, and rhetoric coming at us from every direction, everyday. And all of it is aimed at bypassing our critical faculties. Our natural, analytical self is our gatekeeper. It is our guard. But we aren’t, and haven’t been taught to use it either objectively, or subjectively.

Pick your favorite TV show or shows. Now think for a moment. When was the last time you watched one of those “programs”, or the commercials in between with critical ears and eyes. Analyzing every piece of information. You can’t think of a time, can you? This is what I call absorbtion mode. 5 minutes of watching TV unguarded can greatly affect you. Now I’ve used TV as an example. But there are examples of this throughout our day. Not just TV.

My point is this. Any critical thinking requires two things. An attention span. And regular, habitual use of your critical faculties. If you spend the majority of your days looking at very little with an analytical eye, you’re going to find it gets harder and harder to get the gatekeeper to do his job. He’d rather sleep, because he has no discipline. And you become more and more suggestible and programmable. But once you wake him up, and whip him back into shape, you’ll find that critical thought becomes easier, and more natural.

BTW. S&F OP. Because I think we all need a reminder to flip that little switch on everyday.

edit on 7-2-2011 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Back in my hole? Is that some kind of veiled lesbian insult? I will let the mods decide that one. True thinking posters can make a point with out an insult, what a shame you seem incapable of that.

Anyway, what I did whas ask questions, not attack.

Have you watched these videos you are throwing around? You are the one using insults instead of critical thinking, not me.reply to post by seedofchucky

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

"Back in my hole? Is that some kind of veiled lesbian insult?"

No thats just you thinking again the world revolves around you . Has nothing a lesbian although i must say i am a little curious about you now .

Back in the hole is what i tell many trolls on ATS . You happen to invite it with yoru baseless post . Why attack the messenger ? When all he was doing was posting up some informaiton that some people may use ?

Do you think everyone is so smart and a peachy critical thinker like you ? Im sorry to burst your bubble but its a little differnt here on this level of reality . Information comes from many forms , use your mind as a sponge and suck it up . You don't have to accept it dismiss it . thats the beauty of an open mind . and open to learning differnt points of views on various topics . Your hurting ur self not me .

" True thinking posters can make a point with out an insult, what a shame you seem incapable of that. "

Actually my post was edited to be nicer . Yes i actually took the time to remove some of the other insults i had lined up for you . But then i quickly realised i should not be so rude , so i edited my post and removed them to be nice . I wonder how you would've reacted with the orinigal post ?

|Anyway, what I did whas ask questions, not attack|"

Really go back and read your original post .......

"Have you watched these videos you are throwing around? You are the one using insults instead of critical thinking, not me"

I've watched them but had not seen the one in the OP before i was thankful he would share that with us , and some of the members of ATS who could really use a little brushing up on critical thinking skills.

You asked for this and made it worse for your self .

back in your hole you go

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Wow great thread. Critical thinking is a tool. The poster used this "tool" to formulate the best approach to the subject he wanted to discuss. He understood his audience very well, I think that constitutes critical thinking. Its more of a question of subjectivity.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

and perhaps some of you lurkers can wisen up before putting your voice forward.

on that comment. So, because im not intelligent I can't speak my mind about an interesting topic? Everyone has a right to speak their mind on here whether or not its agreeable. That's the problem with our nation we cant accept freedom of speech, it always has to have some form of rules or guidelines. If I mistaken what you were implying please correct me and im sorry.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Based on the increasing frequency of nonsense and lemming-like behavior both on ATS and elsewhere on the internet, I think I'd be happy to settle for just thinking most days.

Great post about those who believe they're masters, Jean Paul.

"Reason obeys itself: ignorance submits to what is dictated to it." ~Thomas Paine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join