It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creation vs. Intelligent Design vs. Aliens vs. Evolution vs. Atheism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I'm having a difficult time with those who cling to one and disparage another. Keep in mind that these are only my thoughts based on what I've read and are nothing more. I have my thoughts but find it interesting that all of the theories I've mentioned are just that: theories. While some may wish to throw out what they consider scientific relevance to their theory, there really aren't any scientifically irrefutable facts to make any of them set in stone.

Creationists seem to believe that the world we inhabit was created as specified in the bible. Seven days and it was done. Then there is the fall and then we all come from Adam and Eve even though incest is supposed to be a sin.

ID folks may or may not believe in the bible yet believe an entity of some sort was responsible for our current status here. The text of Genesis can be presented to Creationists and they tend to clam up once a viable topic is presented. (Who was Cain afraid of??? Who did he marry and procreate with? No mention of either in the bible)

Alien folks seem to believe that a previous life form was here and responsible for what we have become...reminds me of the ID folks. It seems a lot of their basis is upon drawings etc. that depict entities not of this earth. I've always wondered how the pyramids were built since the technology for comprising such wasn't readily available at that time...(my thoughts!)

Evolutionists seem to believe that we all came from a blob of goo after a big bang and yet somehow have evolved to become what we have. I personally find this the least plausible but again that is only my 2 cents.

Atheists...this one I haven't fully understood. I'm guessing many fall in some of the previously mentioned categories? Granted the addition of atheists could be seen as mixing science with religion but as a scientist, I've had many a conversation with many of the above and some get far more heated than should be required by those who merely wish to discuss rather than argue.

Forgive me for thinking out loud here but it is a topic that I find interesting and would like to hear responses to. I'll admit that I'm in the ID category based upon my research as a biochemist but certainly wouldn't speak harshly nor would expect to be spoken to harshly for my belief.

What do you believe...and why?
edit on 6-2-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I have my thoughts but find it interesting that all of the theories I've mentioned are just that: theories.

Might want to look up the definition of scientific theory, just throwing this out there.

there really aren't any scientifically irrefutable facts to make any of them set in stone.

Nothing is "irrefutable" per se, if you have evidence of a claim, present, and it will scrutinized, if it holds up, it's incorporated into the adjusted scientific theory.

Evolutionists seem to believe that we all came from a blob of goo after a big bang and yet somehow have evolved to become what we have

Evolutionists follow the theory of evolution, that's all evolutionist means, it doesn't deal with the origin of life.

Atheists...this one I haven't fully understood.

Atheists lack faith in a deity, that's it. I'd assume this is due to a lack of evidence to support the existence of some magical being

I'll admit that I'm in the ID category based upon my research as a biochemist

What do you believe...and why?

I'd go with the title of pearlist ( physical evidence and reasoned logic) simply because it's the most concrete of positions and easily deals with claims that lack evidence, such as the existence of some god.
edit on 6-2-2011 by Whyhi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I go back and forth between a Deistic concept and theistic evolution for the most part. That said, I think that, at most, some sort of higher power might have nudged things along here and there. Even that, though, was probably rare, if it even happened at all.
edit on 6-2-2011 by gnosticquasar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

This guy has awesome arguments against Faith based non-evidence based beliefs.

There is plenty evidence for evolution. ID seems more like a "coincidence" than an actual fact.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

You are welcome to your opinion as well. You certainly refuted nothing I had to say.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The creationist view is ridiculous and they that would believe it can do so. Its quite funny.

You mis-understand some of ideas. The Ancient Astronaught theorists are, and must be, Evolutionists. The more intelligent among them believe that non-human entities came to Earth long ago and manipulated the DNA of an existing creature, cave men if you will, and thus created man as we know it. This has not been dis-proven yet.

Atheists are simply people that rightly believe that it is foolish to wave your hands at the sky and ask favor from some statue or another. They are wrong however, about there being an absence of God in the world. They just don't know it yet.
edit on 6-2-2011 by molonlabe33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
I go back and forth between a Deistic concept and theistic evolution for the most part. That said, I think that, at most, some sort of higher power might have nudged things along here and there. Even that, though, was probably rare, if it even happened at all.
edit on 6-2-2011 by gnosticquasar because: (no reason given)

By all means, please explain how the double helix assoicated with DNA just happened to happen?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Evolutionists seem to believe that we all came from a blob of goo after a big bang and yet somehow have evolved to become what we have. I personally find this the least plausible but again that is only my 2 cents.

Atheists...this one I haven't fully understood. I'm guessing many fall in some of the previously mentioned categories? Granted the addition of atheists could be seen as mixing science with religion but as a scientist, I've had many a conversation with many of the above and some get far more heated than should be required by those who merely wish to discuss rather than argue.

1) Evolution makes no statements regarding how life started!! And there is no such thing as evolutionists. It's a scientific theory that in over 150 years hasn't been debunked, everything "fits". But like I said, it makes no statements regarding how life started, that would be abiogenesis.

2) Atheists don't believe in a deity...mostly because there's ZERO objective evidence backing up his/her/its existence. Kinda like most people don't believe in unicorns...

In short:

- Creationism => speculation
- ID => creationism copout also based on pure speculation
- Evolutionists => don't exist

- Atheists => complete disbelief due to the absence of evidence to the contrary

And "intelligent" design is a bit of a joke given what we know about the universe

edit on 6-2-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by molonlabe33
The creationist view is ridiculous and they that would believe it can do so. Its quite funny.

Your opinion.

You mis-understand some of ideas. The Ancient Astronaught theorists are, and must be, Evolutionists. The more intelligent among them believe that non-human entities came to Earth long ago and manipulated the DNA of an existing creature, cave men if you will, and thus created man as we know it. This has not been dis-proven yet.

You make this sound as though it is scientific fact which is most certainly is not.

Atheists are simply people that rightly believe that it is foolish to wave your hands at the sky and ask favor from some statue or another. They are wrong however, about there being an absence of God in the world. They just don't know it yet.

That was a completely contradictory statement and you may wish to look it over once more.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Would you be kind enough to divulge your expertise or are you one to just spout what you read?

As a biochemist, I have studied life on the molecular level which is why I posed my questions.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
reply to post by MrXYZ

Would you be kind enough to divulge your expertise or are you one to just spout what you read?

As a biochemist, I have studied life on the molecular level which is why I posed my questions.

Expertise in what??? I merely corrected your flawed opinion that the theory of evolution makes any statement regarding how life started

You can debunk creationism very easily as the parts in the bible completely contradict what science knows about the universe and beginnings of earth...especially when it comes to time scales

ID has zero evidence as backup...prove me wrong!

Evolution is a scientific theory because no one was able to debunk it...otherwise it would be a hypothesis. There's plenty of free resources about the theory, I'm sure you can google it or visit your university library to find out more...which you should given that you obviously didn't even know it makes no statement regarding how life started. Kinda surprising for someone who claims to work in biochemistry

And atheism is defined as a lack of belief in god. I just mentioned that most atheists don't believe in deities because we have zero evidence that would back up the claim that they even exist. Again, you're welcome to prove me wrong

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
reply to post by MrXYZ

You are claiming to be a biochemist and are denying evolution? I think you maybe need a new career choice because you obviously have no grip on science........

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Had I majored in Genetics, I might be able to answer your question. Unfortunately, I majored in Computer Science. I seem to remember something about RNA coming first and then evolving into DNA. *shrug*

Truthfully: Don't know, don't care. I don't have to understand every single nuance of evolution to accept that it makes sense. I'm not going to automatically invoke the "God did it" thing just because I don't understand it, either.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Evolution makes no claim to how life began. How convienient.

Atheists don't even have a clue.

All ancient historical writings, that do have the cahounies to try and explain it. Are scouffed at and ridiculed by people who are supposed to be intelligent. At least by their testimony. How is it, that writings from the time you know nothing about. But obviously want to know, are just considered fairy tales ? It seems to me you brainiacs dispell scripture, for the very reason the scribes spent hours and days and months and years recording them.

People from the past, didn't spend their lives on this stuff, making sure it got to us, because it was all a bunch of crap. Not as you all like to think for some odd reason. I really think you lack understanding one simple fact. You don't know everything about the universe. So you have no right to scouff at or ridicule anytrhing in it. As if.

I really think most of the western know it alls need to humble their arrogance.

I presume someday they will.
edit on 6-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

It is indeed my opinion, as it is the opinion of millions of intelligent people.

Ancient Astronaught Theory has more hard evidence on its first page than the accumulated encyclopedia of Creationist and Accident Theory combined. Nothing is ever certain my friend, don't forget it.

And I do believe that you need to spend some more time pouring over your Grammatical prompter, before you attempt to accuse me of making contrary claims. You clearly suffer from some type of wool in your eyes. Go get it checked out.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

But those same people also believed the world to be flat, or that comets were a sign of god!! What makes you think they somehow knew more than us?? Especially given that you can debunk tons of religious scriptures, not just Christian ones.

As for the theory of evolution, I thought you'd know that it makes no statement regarding how life started. It talks about BIODIVERSITY and nothing more. It doesn't require a specific theory of how life started to be true. If it happened through one of the abiogenesis hypothesis, it would still be valid. If the Christian god did it, it would still be valid...and it would also be valid if a giant space turtle farted the universe into existence. It's a FACT that it doesn't make statements regarding how life started...look it up if you don't believe me

What I do believe is ignorant is to claim you know something if in reality, you have no clue or evidence to back up your claims objectively. Even worse when you try to pick a fight with scientific theories just because they contradict your BELIEF that isn't based on rationality or logic.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

But those same people also believed the world to be flat,

How do you know that? You don't..Quite frankly, I don't believe they did think that. Cause I happen to think people of that time, had to be pretty intelligent, just to survive the conditions, they were faced with. Can you imagine if your life spanned those times . Would you be that stupid?

As for the theory of evolution, I thought you'd know that it makes no statement regarding how life started. It talks about BIODIVERSITY and nothing more. It doesn't require a specific theory of how life started to be true. If it happened through one of the abiogenesis hypothesis, it would still be valid. If the Christian god did it, it would still be valid...and it would also be valid if a giant space turtle farted the universe into existence. It's a FACT that it doesn't make statements regarding how life started...look it up if you don't believe me

I never said anywhere, I didn't know that, did I?

Brother because I point out how misplaced your arrogance is dosn't mean I'm picking a fight with you . So put the phone down.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by MrXYZ

How do you know that? You don't..Quite frankly, I don't bvelieve they did think that. Cause I happen to think people of that time, had to be pretty intelligent, just to survive the conditions, they were faced with. Can you imagine if your life spanned those times . Would you be that stupid?

Well, we KNOW they believed the world to be flat from scriptures and other remains. The Mayans for example believed the world to be flat, resting on the back of a giant crocodile, floating in a lilly pond (no joke) resting on 4 trees all of different color.

So those people are pretty much living like people thousands of years ago. So when it comes to figuring out how life started and similar questions, you'd give their opinion more value than that of modern science? Really?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by MrXYZ

How do you know that? You don't..Quite frankly, I don't bvelieve they did think that. Cause I happen to think people of that time, had to be pretty intelligent, just to survive the conditions, they were faced with. Can you imagine if your life spanned those times . Would you be that stupid?

Well, we KNOW they believed the world to be flat from scriptures and other remains. The Mayans for example believed the world to be flat, resting on the back of a giant crocodile, floating in a lilly pond (no joke) resting on 4 trees all of different color.

So those people are pretty much living like people thousands of years ago. So when it comes to figuring out how life started and similar questions, you'd give their opinion more value than that of modern science? Really?

Well than I guess if you would 've been there, you 'd have believed the same thing right along with them.. Don't try to sound as if you're schooling me either. Anyone who thinks somebody else, is to stupid to look up and notice that the Moon and Sun are round, and so must this piece of rock we're on. Shouldn't be schooling anyone.

You just said modern science dosn't say anything about it. Please can you make up my mind here ?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Exactly...and those ancient people believed the earth to be flat...and we have plenty of evidence of that. That's why I'm hesitant, and believe others should be too, to believe any other of their claims unless it's backed up with objective evidence. Their ways at explaining how it all started are NOT backed up by objective evidence

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join