It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1911 NIAGRA FALLS and now almost 100 years later..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Niagara Falls 100 years ago

The mother of the person supplying these photos had a cousin living in Niagara Falls that year.
She told the family that she and her neighbors woke up in the night feeling something was wrong. It took a while but they finally realized that it was the lack of noise.

They had all become so used to the roar of the falls that the silence was unusual enough to alert their senses. Of course at that time nearly all the houses were near the falls.

Amazing pictures. Almost 100 years old.

Can you imagine walking on Niagara Falls?

1911 Photos of Niagara Falls ...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
These pictures are amazing! I wonder if this adds any fuel to the global warming debate, or if it's just a coincidence of normal climate change...
S + F!
edit on 6-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
wow, very cool!, thx for sharing!
wondering when the last time these were frozen?
love it.
edit on 2/6/2011 by zooplancton because: turned ? to ! thx iPad.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Wonderful photos. I was born in Niagra Falls. So anything about Niagra Falls piques my interest.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by alonzo730
Wonderful photos. I was born in Niagra Falls. So anything about Niagra Falls piques my interest.

You were born "in" the falls, wow that must have been one hell of an event. Did your parents baptize you there too??? /Sarcasm lol

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Urban Legends

Hoax Slayer

Nearly word for word story.
The Scoop Newspaper Fri, 10/09/2009

As the story goes...a great-grandmother told her family that she and her neighbours woke up in the night feeling something was wrong. It took a while but they finally realized that it was the lack of noise.

They had all become so used to the roar of the falls that the silence was unusual enough to alert their senses. Of course at that time nearly all the houses were near the falls.

Amazing pictures! Almost 100 years old.

Can you imagine walking on Niagara falls?

Originally posted by geo1066
She told the family that she and her neighbors woke up in the night feeling something was wrong. It took a while but they finally realized that it was the lack of noise.

Amazing pictures. Almost 100 years old.

Can you imagine walking on Niagara Falls?

edit on 2/6/11 by makeitso because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Snopes - Niagara Falls Frozen

Claim: Photograph shows Niagara Falls frozen in 1911.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

The flow of water was stopped completely over both falls on March 29th 1848 due to an ice jam in the upper river for several hours. This is the only known time to have occurred. The Falls did not actually freeze over, but the flow was stopped to the point where people actually walked out and recovered artifacts from the riverbed!

That statement has this pic from your OP underneath it. So apparently, at least this one could be 163 years old..
www.niagarafallslive.com...

I've always thought these were interesting pics of Niagara, even though it was stopped on purpose.

The flow over the American Falls was stopped completely for several months in 1969. The idea was to determine the feasibility of removing the large amount of loose rock from the base of the falls to enhance it's appearance. In the end the final decision was that the expense would be too great.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

"Can you imagine walking on Niagara Falls?"
There is so much polution on the American side you may soon be able to walk on it again.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Thank you makeitso. For a second I thought you were going to burst my bubble.

The links that you provided did prove their authenticity although the dates are incorrect.

My main objective to opening this thread is to show that today's weather patterns are not anonomlies but in fact just Mother Nature going thru her phases.

Your links do say that these photos were not all taken in 1911 but at other times in our past thus showing, although extreme, that these occurances do happen more often than what we think.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

For clarifacation purposes

Claim: Photograph shows Niagara Falls frozen in 1911.

I'll agree, not all are from 1911 but there is a possibility of one actually being 1911. The others are either earlier than 1911 and/or later than 1911.

The dates are "Undetermined".
Their authenticity is validated.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Again point of clarification-

I've always thought these were interesting pics of Niagara, even though it was stopped on purpose.

Your photos of the Falls in 1969 are in no way, even remotely, related to the photos that I have displayed.

please click the link-

www.niagarafrontier.com...

the Summer of '69
the Dewatering of the American Falls

June 12th 1969 - November 24th 1969

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

Your photos of the Falls in 1969 are in no way, even remotely, related to the photos that I have displayed.

The fact that you did not actually display any photos in your OP, is why I put those up. I did not say those were related. I said that I find those to be interesting.

In case you overlooked it, the 1st photo I added, is a photo that you posted a link to. Only I added a link to an article, along with that particular photo that says it happened in 1848.
edit on 2/7/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

My apologies.

After re-reading your post, I understand. I guess I need to have post edited for me like the old telegraph system with the line-

** STOP**

between statements.

Humbly yours- geo

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

No Problem -(STOP)- I just came across that article/website, after I read this thread -(STOP)- It looks legit to me, but that's just my opinion -(STOP)- It claimed that 1848 was the only time that had happened, but the other pics don't appear to be as old as that particular one -(STOP)- So, I don't really know for sure -(STOP)- I do think that site has some interesting information though-(STOP)-

Those other pics, I had seen before, but it's been quite awhile-(STOP)- I just saw them there and wanted to share them because its an interesting view that very likely could never be seen again-(STOP)- I wasn't trying to change the topic-(STOP)-

-(STOP)-
-(STOP)- Sorry, just having fun with the....-(STOP)-

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Here's some info on the subject...

The pix are from different sources and different dates...
edit on 7-2-2011 by nakiel because: typOs

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Where was the falls located in 1911 compared to today? How far have they travelled in that time?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
the point of the thread is that niagara falls was frozen and if climate change is affecting it. not when the pictures were taken, if it was 1911 or 1811, or the massive spelling fail of niagara in the title.

the pictures are cool and niagara falls looks less menacing when its frozen.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

Well that doesn't make any sense.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I had to weigh in here as I live in niagara county where the falls are and have lived in Western New York for 56 years.If you check I think that you will find that the falls were frozen during the "little ice age".This freezing of the falls has happened a few times in the past but not recently.Although the ice bridge at the base of the falls usually forms every year.The parks department no longer permits people to walk around on it due to the danger of shifting ice.One interesting thing about the falls even I didn't know about till a few years ago is that the falls are almost shut off every night by the opening of the intakes to the power project.Saw it for my self when I stayed at a hotel overlooking the falls on the canadian side of the falls.They close down the intakes about 5am and the water level comes back up,but when open the falls is barely flowing.
edit on 2/7/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join