It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about the super bowl and the internet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Anyone in the Oklahoma City region or around there get a call from cox today saying they were shutting down the internet for the super bowl. Because thats what happened to me, about 11:30 this morning Cox commincations called and got a programed voice saying due to the superbowl the your internet connection will be offline between the hours of 12:00pm cst and 9:00pm cst. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions call you local provider. Thank you and have a nice day. Sure enough I couldn't access the net between 12-9pm and when I tried calling the number they left me it said the number is no longer in service. So did anyone else have this problem?
edit on 2/6/2011 by Jedite because: Minor changes.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jedite

That is messed up!

I would have been flipping out

I wonder why they would do that?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I was flipping out I even called the main office and got a machine, left a message no one is there on Sundays I guess even though they advertise 24/7 help. I'm hoping it happened to others, because frankly I found it kind of weird blacking out the internet for the super bowl.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I would file a complaint with the FCC and also report it to your local govt. representative and media. Don't let them get away with this.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Hmmm...wait. So was it was blacked out before the superbowl for about 5.5 hours and then all during? It's what, 9:35 CST now? And you're back online, so I'm assuming it did come back? I'm a little
They must have anticipated some capacity issues, but still that's like a very strange move.
edit on 2/6/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I'm in Oklahoma and yes I use cox, and I'm in central time. Its 9:38pm right now as I work on this post, and my net didn't come back on till about 9pm it went off around noon. It's been off for about 9 hours. I'm gonna call the office tomorrow, because it just sounds irregular. Specially if others in the area wasn't affected.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jedite

Yeah blacked out before the super bowl around Noon, and I got an automated call about 11am 11:30am let me check my caller ID. Cox Communication/Unknown Number call at 11:23 am.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Get used to it . Its just early phases of internet kill switches . Practice maks perfect right?

For an ISP to just to cut you , for superbowl shows some wow corporate power!

Yea i'd make some phone calls and shoot som emails to your local station !

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Wow, this seems ridiculous. What does the superbowl even have to do with the internet? I have to admit, I didn't watch the game and I got faster speeds than normal on the internet. My thoughts were that more people were watching the game and less people were online ... It just doesn't make sense to me why your net would be canceled for the game...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Bizarre.

Interested on hearing the results.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jedite

That's ridiculous!!

When you get the bill for your Internet access, demand that you are compensated for the 9 hours of service you didn't get...........that should give them a headache.

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

I'll post what response I get when I call tomorrow, and I'm going to ask the neighbors and a few friends. Truthfully if it wasn't for the weird call I got before they shut it down I would of just thought my net was acting up like usual. It was the call that threw me off, and the number they gave me wasn't in service anymore. Thats when I called the 24/7 customer support line and even that was automated and told me to call mon-fri during normal business hours.
But what does it mean if I was singled out? Should I be more worried?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
maybe some smarty concluded that the best time to change important hardware in a network would be a time when almost all people sit in front of the tube watching the superbowl.

that there possibly some people watching it via network .. oh well

as a matter of fact you start instantly missing the web the very moment it's unreachable and you notice
does not matter which time of day it is, or wether you really need it or not

it's gone -- i'm dead -- 2012 -- tincanned -- we all gonna die

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well It appears to of affected me, and the neighbors on either side of me, and a couple of my friends I've called and a couple of their neighbors. Oklahoma City, Warr Acres, Bethany, and Norman. And it was just a few houses in each case. The call that a few of them got was kind of the same. But when they called today each one told me a different story, and I was also told a different one too.
The friend in Oklahoma City was told that it was a test and repair that they were doing the figured because super bowl would be the best time.
My friend in Norman didn't get a phone call at all before her net went down and when she called to day, she was told it was a failure of a system and the whole network was down.
My friend in Bethany didn't get a call either and said it was probably just his system and they would bring some one out to take a look at it.
I'm in Warr Acres and me and my neighbors got the call and when we called into today we got told their system was hacked and that there is an investigation going on and if I knew anything would be help. They also said we're getting a month credited to our account for the inconvenience. They would also send some one out to look at our systems at no charge.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
Get used to it . Its just early phases of internet kill switches . Practice maks perfect right?

For an ISP to just to cut you , for superbowl shows some wow corporate power!

Yea i'd make some phone calls and shoot som emails to your local station !

Yep, couldn't have anything to do with maintenance or anything. And I guess if you're going to do something crazy like test a internet kill switch the best way is to advertise it, right? Not just cut it off, let people know you're planning on cutting it off.

And as for their customer support (we have SuddenLink now, which used to be Cox), they are the most worthless bunch of people ever. I've talked to many of them that knew less than I knew about the problem I was having. And they almost never have the same thing to say, it's like that with most every customer service center.

I'd almost guarantee it was just a maintenance thing, since they did call you before hand to let you know. At least you got a free month out of it, which hear is around $150 (unless they just discounted the internet and not cable as well).

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Another small update, I declined the check up service because I figure it was just some one some where messing up, and hey I get 40 bucks credited to my account which is cool.
But just relating about a friend, he went with the check up and he said said it wasn't Cox that came out an checked it was a black utility truck with no name on the side tinted windows one dressed in a casual business suit who stayed in the truck filling out paperwork and a guy who looked like he was in a Halloween costume of a utility person. He didn't let the person in and pretended he wasn't there but watched them. He said the utility guy rang the door bell then knocked and called out his name then tried to open the door thats when he called the police on his house phone first bit noticed the house phone didn't work and he tried his cell but all it did was make weird blooping sounds then nothing.
He went to go grab his gun and noticed the utility guy headed to the back yard and was trying to look into the windows. He then talked in the little walkie talkie thing and then headed back to the business suit guy they then drove a few blocks down the road and sat for an hour before finally leaving. After they left his phone came back on and cell came back on he called the police and cox.
When her came to school he seemed pretty frightened and said he was taking his wife and daughter out of town to his family's farm in Kentucky. He even cut out of class early which isn't his style. Now I dont picture a person who was in the army, and let alone had sniper training to be scared of much, personally I want to call BS. Thinking his paranoia caught up to him but either way I wasn't there so I dont know just figured I would relate it all to you guys.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jedite

Adding to this post, just drove by my friends place appears he really did take off both cars are gone, the garage is empty and its doors wide open. All but the big furniture is gone from the house. His cell phone isn't working anymore, he left the home phone, his parents dunno where they took off too no calls from him. Told his teachers he dropped out and left no address.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Jedite

Crazy, although could be embellishment.

Nice on the $40 credit though. Sounds like Cox Cable sucks regardless though. Could make a good joke about it, but I will just leave it alone.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

Yeah when I first moved here made lots of jokes about it, specially since the remotes to the dvr's are huge. I'm thinking it's an embellishment too, but like I said he did end up taken off. Hope his wife and kid are ok, specially if he does have like a disorder or something.

new topics

top topics

join