It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks' Assange fights extradition to Sweden

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

WikiLeaks' Assange fights extradition to Sweden

www.reuters.com

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange will try to persuade a British judge Monday to block his extradition to Sweden to face trial for sex crimes, arguing he could end up facing execution in the United States.

"There is a real risk that, if extradited to Sweden, the U.S. will seek his extradition and/or illegal rendition to the USA, where there will be a real risk of him being detained at Guantanamo Bay or elsewhere ...," the document said.

"Indeed, if Mr. Assange were rendered to the USA ... there is a real risk that he could be made subject to the death penalty," it said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

edit on 2/6/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
With all Julian's access to inside information, he seems to know that he will end up being detained forever if he ends up in the United States like Guantanamo detainee's, or even worse, executed.

I hardly think this Nobel Peace Prize canidate deserves that kind of treatment. What damage has his information really caused other than to expose the agenda's of corrupt governments?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
With all Julian's access to inside information, he seems to know that he will end up being detained forever if he ends up in the United States like Guantanamo detainee's.

I hardly think this Nobel Peace Prize canidate deserves that kind of treatment. What damage has his information really caused other than to expose the agenda's of corrupt governments?

Well Obama [Nobel Peace Price winner]
promised he'd close Guantanamo during his election once he took office. So, Julian shouldn't sweat the small stuff.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I agree, it's ironic, huh? At the same time I don't agree with obama's win, but I don't think it completely discredits the award.

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
With all Julian's access to inside information, he seems to know that he will end up being detained forever if he ends up in the United States like Guantanamo detainee's.

Well Obama [Nobel Peace Price winner]
promised he'd close Guantanamo during his election once he took office. So, Julian shouldn't sweat the small stuff.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It would be embarrassing for the US if Assange was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, but had to have someone else collect it on his behalf because he was being detained without trial by the US.

Would be eerily reminiscent of the situation involving China and Liu Xiaobo last year...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
execution seems a little formal.
he'll just get knocked off. which is too bad considering our government commits crimes that trump this every day... go Julian!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
You make a good point. I'm suprised this hasn't happened yet, actually.

Originally posted by zooplancton
execution seems a little formal.
he'll just get knocked off. which is too bad considering our government commits crimes that trump this every day... go Julian!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This is beyond a joke - it's not a crime to report on leaked classified documents, it's not like wikileaks is stealing the information they are just reporting it - freedom of speech means just that freedom to say ANYTHING you like, if you couldnt say anything then it's not freedom.
Bck when the media actually used to do their job this is what they done - but now money talks louder than truth.
As for the rape accusations, any judge who cant see beyond this obvious ploy to bring down the USA's biggest threat really doesnt deserve to be a judge.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I don't know why he even needs to be extradited anyway..
He's only wanted for questioning..
So setup a video conference at the embassy and ask away...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Actually all I see is Assange continually blaming everyone else for his troubles. He constantly brings up the US in his Swedish legal issues because he is pandering and playing to the emotions of those people who do not like Bush or his policies.

This is up there with Assange and his lawyer making the BS argument that Assange would be charged with Treason in the US (He is Austrailian not American so thats BS), that he would be sent to Gitmo (He is not an enemy combatant so that is BS) and would face the death penalty, which if he were charged the most he would get is prison time if that.

This is nothing but a Pr campaign on his part to avoid taking responsbility for his actions.

Ironic he demands everyone else be held accountible for their actions, yet he apparently is above the law.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

What a load of [snip]

He has NOT been charged with ANYTHING..
He is only wanted for questioning yet for some VERY odd reason Sweden wants him in Sweden to do it, despite the fact that he actually delayed leaving Sweden last year waiting for them to question him...

Now they could just as easily ask him questions at the embassy in London...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Sweden has answered the questions about why it must be done in Sweden. A Supreme Court ruling (swedish high court or whatever its called) has ruled in the past a deposition cannot occur outside of sweden in order for it to be admissible in their court of law. The Swedish Embassy in England for some weird reason is not considered sovereign swedish territory, and would require the permission of British authorities to conduct an offical interview there in terms of a criminal case.

Why should Sweden give up the manner in which their legal system works in roder to capitulate to Assange? They have not made that exception for any other Swedish cases, why is Assange any different?

He is wanted for questioning, and your very argument supports my claim that they are using whatever delay and fear tactics they can to get around all of this.

He has not been charged with any crimes in the US, yet he continually invokes illegal rendition, death penalty, gitmo, treason etc..

Assange is doing whatever he can to avoid taking any responsibility for his actions. I find it hypocritical that he demands others be held aco#ible for their actions, except himself.

So its ok for him to illegaly obtain and release information on banks, countries etc and demand anyone involved be investiugated, yet when it coems to him he is above the law.

Dont look now, but Assange is doing exactly what he rails against.

being above the law.
edit on 7-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

He has not been charged with any crimes in the US, yet he continually invokes illegal rendition, death penalty, gitmo, treason etc..

Gee, I wonder if his fear of the US has anything to do with a lot of people over there wanting him charged (even if they have4 to pass a new law) and some say assasinated..

Our PM here in Australia even said he broke the law but refused to say what law and was proven wrong by the ADF..

I wouldn't want to go the Sweden either.....

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I can't see most swedes accepting his extradition, though, we may not have much choice but I would wager it would enrage the people, we're very much for freedom of speech and especially internet freedom.

Nobel gave Norway the right to give the peace prize, it would be weird if our government sent a peace prize candidate away to possibly face execution.
It would be outrageous since the Nobel Foundation is a swedish institution.

What if he wins the prize while he's locked up in the US? Would they let him visit Norway? That would be hilarious.

If you want to, you could send me guns and funds and I'll try my best to rescue him if it comes down to that.

I got a good aim, at least in my dreams..

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Which to an extent is irrelevant since it has nothing to do with the potential charges in Sweden. Whether he is charged or not is up to the PA for Sweden, and has nothing at all to do with anything related to the US.

This is my point. He spends his time calling people and entities out, demanding they be held accountible while in the very same breath proclaims he is above the law by pushing conpsiracy theories that he will be illegaly taken to the US, charged with treason, placed in gitmo and executed, which is BS.

As I have poointed out before, he has no issues releasing priveledged / classified info, yet throws a fit when its done to him.

You dont find a problem wiht that?

Whether it be Sweden, Frane, Brazil, Israel or Vietnam, the allegations origionate within the legal jurisdicitons of the country, and as such, are subject to their laws for whats admissible in court and how the process works. He can ignore it all he wants, but in doing so loses and moral credibility he had left when making an argument about others being held accountible.

People want to bitch about the US overstepping its leagal authority, including assange, whicle at the same time demanding the swedish system make accomodations for just him that is not extended to others.

Why should Assange be treated any different than others in the Swedish system?
edit on 7-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

This is my point. He spends his time calling people and entities out, demanding they be held accountible while in the very same breath proclaims he is above the law by pushing conpsiracy theories that he will be illegaly taken to the US, charged with treason, placed in gitmo and executed, which is BS.

LMAO, it's not a conspiracy theory when high ranking Government officials have gone on record saying they want Assange arrested..
The only vague part is "on what charge"....

Why should Assange be treated any different than others in the Swedish system?

That's a darn good question...
Care to show how others facing the SAME accusations have been treated??
Not to mention Assange DID hang around Sweden waiting to be questioned..
Even if charged and convicted it's considered a minor offence with a fine..

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
LMAO, it's not a conspiracy theory when high ranking Government officials have gone on record saying they want Assange arrested..
The only vague part is "on what charge"....

and since there are no charges, and its not even related to the rape allegations, its completely irrelevant to invoke a hypothetical situation in an effort to distort the actual allegations against him in Sweden.

That's a darn good question...
Care to show how others facing the SAME accusations have been treated??

Sure.. I already pointed out why Sweden needs Assange to come back to Sweden to be interviewed. The reason those rules are in place is because of other cases involving the same statutues and process for proper interviews that comply with Swedish law to be considered admissable in court.

This is not new because of Assange, its in place because of other similar cases where interviews have been done and deemed inadmissiblke because they did not follow proper swedish procedure.

Not to mention Assange DID hang around Sweden waiting to be questioned..

Correct, and the Swedish Prosecutor did eventually interview Assange. Assange then requested to elave the country because he said he had things to do, and Sweden finally allowed it. Now they have more info and need to question him a second time, which again is snothing new in a process like this, and he is ignoring the request to return to be interviewed.

Even if charged and convicted it's considered a minor offence with a fine..

Assuming the charges remain the same. A reason for a follow up interview is to ask clarifying questions. To either corroborate or call into question information that comes up during an investigation. Its netirely probable that after an interview the case will fall apart and no charges would ever come.

However, thats not up to Assange to determine, but the judicial system in Sweden.

Here is an interview Assange did with the BBC talking about the Swedish problem, and how he ignores his own comments in an effort to argue his point.

BBC Assange interview about the Swedish investigation

I guess the only standard that matters is Assanges? Again hypocritical to release info that does not belong to him, demanding people be held accountible, yet the moment the Guardian prints info on his sex case, he calls it disgusting and goes after them.. Intresting if not Ironic.
Assange turns on The Guardian for printing information about the Sex Allegations, calling it discusting

Julian Assange has taken journalists to task for "intermixing" 2 seperate issues according to Assange. The wikilekas and the Swedish Sex case. He and Larry King had a nice exchange on that point.

Then Assange goes on to link the 2 cases together himself.

Your inability to see the delfection and hypocrisy here is astounding.

Can you give any valid reason why Assange should not go back to sweden to face the allegations against him and allow the criminal justice system to be used (in accordance with swedish law)?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Your inability to see the delfection and hypocrisy here is astounding.

Can you give any valid reason why Assange should not go back to sweden to face the allegations against him and allow the criminal justice system to be used (in accordance with swedish law)?

lol, you're too funny..
Valid reason???
Umm because he doesn't want to be locked up without bail, as previously happened in England, for a crime, which if proven, doesn't carry a jail term.
Then also be stuck in a country that sucks up to the US and face possible extradition on charges they will make up as they go along or write into law as suits...

That about sum it up??

Now if I were assange I'd simply say try the case based on the evidence you have, slap me with a fine and I'll pay it...

End of story...

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

lol, you're too funny..
Valid reason???

Yes, a vlid reason based in fact on the current circumstances

Umm because he doesn't want to be locked up without bail, as previously happened in England, for a crime, which if proven, doesn't carry a jail term.

He was not locked up in England because of a crime, he was locked up on a warrant issued by the Swedish Government for a pending action, which is allowed under UN and internation judicial treaties. Englands role in this is to determine if Assange would face any undue hardships if sent back to Sweden and nothing more.

It is not up to the British Courts, or Assange, to determine the validity of the the facts of the case if any, as that is Swedeish Jurisdiction.

Then also be stuck in a country that sucks up to the US and face possible extradition on charges they will make up as they go along or write into law as suits...

And again, you are using prior acts in an effort to interject them into this case, just as Assange is doing, in an effort to effect an outcome that is not based on law, but emotion. The actions of the Swedish Government are not up to Assange to judge, but the peope of Sweden. Thisis not a hard concept to understand, and the continued attempts to take media to task for linking the 2, then turning around and doing it himself is just humerous.

That about sum it up??

If we are going for baseless excuses as to why he feels he is above the law sure. It however does not answer the basic question of valid proof that if Assange returns to Sweden he would not receive a fair hearing. As you have pointed out numerous times, he is not charge with a crime, just wanted for questioning.

Now if I were assange I'd simply say try the case based on the evidence you have, slap me with a fine and I'll pay it...

And again I see we are once again making an argument that the merits of a legal case should be left up to the accused, and not on the merits of the information collected. As you have pointed out many many times now, he has not been charged with a crime, so your explanation of simply paying a fine is irrelevant is it not?

Assange does not get to decide how the legal system of Sweden works, just as you dont get to dictate how the legal system of Germany, Great Britain, United States or Lesotho works. If you visit one of those countries, and a criminal complaint is made against you, it falls to the jurisidicition of that country, and not your personal opinion.

End of story...

Not in the slightest. All this does is continaully show the world the double standard Assange has set for himself. Everyone else is to be held accoutbiel except him, because he apprently thinks he is special.

Going back to our normal back and forth, the terms are Meglomaniacal and Narcissistic.

This has nothing to do with wikileaks or the US. It has everything to do with 2 females making allegations that are legitimate under Swedish Law. They deserve at the very least a thourough investigation of those charges in a manner that answers questions on all sides of the case.

To simply dimiss those allegations using excuses that Assange is above the law because he feels the charges are baseless is in and of itself a travesty.

It makes it hard for him to amke his arguments about accountibility when he wont practice what he preaches, which in the end, makes him no better than those he accuses.

It makes him exactly the same, which in turn makes his supporters no more beleieveable than those they claim of trying to bring Assange down.

Any particular reason, if this case is based on lies as people claim, that a court would not see it for what it is and throw it out? Or is Assange that scared of being held to the same level he wants everytone else held to?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
You cant blame Assange for being very nervous about returning to Sweden. With Karl Rove orchestrating matters in the background on behalf of officials in the US that want Assange rubbed out I would be very nervous too...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join