It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amputation and Suicide. A Tragic Story Brought To You Courtesy Of The 'Recovering' Economy.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

What you are about to read is perhaps the most heartbreaking story that I have ever come across. It is so tragic that I am not even quite sure how to introduce it.

theeconomiccollapseblog.com... ves

This story gives me pause for thought. Has society become so disjointed and disconnected that the woman and her father were unable to get help sooner? For example:

1) Was there not a good neighbor or a building management office where they could've used a phone in emergencies?

2) Would it have been too much of a burden for this woman's co-workers to have pooled together a bit of money so she could have bought some new boots?

3) Where was the kindly,old neighbor who is taking care her now before all of this occurred?

4) Would it not have been logical for her employer to send someone around to her place to let know that she didn't need to make the long trek to her job in light of the massive storm?

5) Why do we live in a world where people have to live in terror of seeking medical treatment due to a lack of money?

This insanity has seriously got to stop. However, I don't think it's going to anytime soon and I think stories like this one are going to become more commonplace as the weather and economy continue to ruin people's lives.

Sad times,indeed?

edit on 6-2-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
great post man can't help but think theres something missing

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingJadeDragon

IT would be funny if it wasnt so tragic.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

not the best global meltdown post, mods should move this to the short stories forum because it clearly would be the shortest story in ATS history

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by KevinB

not the best global meltdown post, mods should move this to the short stories forum because it clearly would be the shortest story in ATS history

Story's up now. I accidentally fat-fingered the submit button while typing in the headline. Laying in bed while writing doesn't always work out.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I'm not sure why I clicked on this thread again. I had already clicked on it the first time when you accidentally posted an empty OP. Now after reading it, the first couple of replies might sound very shallow and heartless. So I'm just confirming and pointing out to others that these people had replied to an empty OP.

Now for the story. If that is actually true, that is possibly the saddest thing I have ever read.
As of right now, I could not say for sure that Michael did not write this story himself. I partly say that just because I don't want this to be true. I didn't see anywhere it said her age, but I'm under the impression she was 15-18. That's just a guess though.

I can see how her father would of thought it was completely his fault. In a way it was, as far as not taking her to the emergency room. I also think that he took the cowards way out, and do not understand how he could of thought she would be better without him. Depression is a dangerous thing though.

I do hope that isn't true.

Seems as if she is a strong girl, and will get through it.
good luck to her if it is true.
edit on 2/6/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

I'm not sure why I clicked on this thread again. I had already clicked on it the first time when you accidentally posted an empty OP. Now after reading it, the first couple of threads might sound very shallow and heartless. So I'm just confirming and pointing out to others that these people had replied to an empty OP.

Now for the story. If that is actually true, that is possibly the saddest thing I have ever read.
As of right now, I could not say for sure that Michael did not write this story himself. I partly say that just because I don't want this to be true. I didn't see anywhere it said her age, but I'm under the impression she was 15-18. That's just a guess though.

I can see how her father would of thought it was completely his fault. In a way it was, as far as not taking her to the emergency room. I also think that he took the cowards way out, and do not understand how he could of thought she would be better without him. Depression is a dangerous thing though.

I do hope that isn't true.

Seems as if she is a strong girl, and will get through it.
good luck to her if it is true.

Yes,the whole thing is quite mind-boggling. It just doesn't make any sense. You would've thought people would be keeping a better eye out for each other given the circumstances. I remember a time when you knew your neighbors and you could get help for things like this.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I remember a time when you knew your neighbors and you could get help for things like this.

It really still is that way in some places. It is in many small towns anyways, but in general, overall, it does seem that society as a majority has just lost the compassion. I'm not familiar with upstate New York and it didn't say where exactly she is. You would of thought she was friends with her co-workers and could of got a ride, but definitely her boss/manager had to of known that she walked to work and was desperate for money. So he/she should of called to say they weren't going to open that day.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Sad story...almost sounds like it couldn't happen...but take it from me. Stuff like this
does happen. When things go south, they go all the way south. My worry is for the young
lady left without her father. The neighbor is probably being nice to her now, since she is all alone, because
she probably petitioned the State to be her caregiver. Too bad this neighbor didn't help when her father was alive.

This girl will be offered all sorts of help, now that she is disabled. Seems to be the way of America. When you are down and out, nobody will help you until you reach the lowest you can go. Then there is all sorts of "help" offered you. What's wrong with this picture.

The sight of someone with snow boots covered with duct tape should be a red flag that person needs new boots. How difficult is it to just talk to someone like that girl and figure out she needed help? I can also bet she wasn't a beauty queen on the outside. Most people fall all over themselves to "help" if you look like Pamela Anderson...if you look like Ugly Betty...they would rather totally ignore you...What's up with that? It's the American way...all sparkle and shine...anything else doesn't exist.

What I've posted is a lot of observation and a little experience. America is NOT a country that cares for anyone other than themselves, unless you are family (sometimes that doesn't matter either). Most figure you got yourself in a hole, dig yourself out. If you fall to the bottom, and there is something in it for "me", we might decide to help.

Sad state of affairs, don't you think?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

I remember a time when you knew your neighbors and you could get help for things like this.

It really still is that way in some places. It is in many small towns anyways, but in general, overall, it does seem that society as a majority has just lost the compassion. I'm not familiar with upstate New York and it didn't say where exactly she is. You would of thought she was friends with her co-workers and could of got a ride, but definitely her boss/manager had to of known that she walked to work and was desperate for money. So he/she should of called to say they weren't going to open that day.

Right, so I'm not sure where things went wrong originally. It could've been a simple case of oversight or lack of info about the woman's situation. Unfortunately,people today aren't too forthcoming about their problems especially when dealing with employers for fear of being considered a 'liability'.

When the urge to work for fear of not having money overpowers one's ability to make logical decisions concerning their own well-being,it's time to seriously question the world and how it operates.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Holly N.R.A.
Sad story...almost sounds like it couldn't happen...but take it from me. Stuff like this
does happen. When things go south, they go all the way south. My worry is for the young
lady left without her father. The neighbor is probably being nice to her now, since she is all alone, because
she probably petitioned the State to be her caregiver. Too bad this neighbor didn't help when her father was alive.

This girl will be offered all sorts of help, now that she is disabled. Seems to be the way of America. When you are down and out, nobody will help you until you reach the lowest you can go. Then there is all sorts of "help" offered you. What's wrong with this picture.

The sight of someone with snow boots covered with duct tape should be a red flag that person needs new boots. How difficult is it to just talk to someone like that girl and figure out she needed help? I can also bet she wasn't a beauty queen on the outside. Most people fall all over themselves to "help" if you look like Pamela Anderson...if you look like Ugly Betty...they would rather totally ignore you...What's up with that? It's the American way...all sparkle and shine...anything else doesn't exist.

What I've posted is a lot of observation and a little experience. America is NOT a country that cares for anyone other than themselves, unless you are family (sometimes that doesn't matter either). Most figure you got yourself in a hole, dig yourself out. If you fall to the bottom, and there is something in it for "me", we might decide to help.

Sad state of affairs, don't you think?

That is an excellent point about looks. This just goes to show how society has become so shallow and
narcissistic that we've sunk,in broad terms, we base who we help on overall attraction ( perceived social value?) factors. We don't actually know how she looked so it's only speculation.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I really hope that story isn't true. If it is, it's one of the saddest stories I have read in a long time.

I would feel horrible if one of my children became permanently disabled because I couldn't afford to buy them something as mundane as a pair of boots. I would be a wreck. Couldn't they have checked at Goodwill? A thrift store? A discount store? Something.

Not that a pair of boots would have solved everything but it certainly could have prevented the amputation and possibly the suicide.

What about the rest of their relatives? I wonder why they didn't help them and why they are not helping her now that her Dad is gone? There are certainly a lot of holes in the story..

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
I really hope that story isn't true. If it is, it's one of the saddest stories I have read in a long time.

I would feel horrible if one of my children became permanently disabled because I couldn't afford to buy them something as mundane as a pair of boots. I would be a wreck. Couldn't they have checked at Goodwill? A thrift store? A discount store? Something.

Not that a pair of boots would have solved everything but it certainly could have prevented the amputation and possibly the suicide.

What about the rest of their relatives? I wonder why they didn't help them and why they are not helping her now that her Dad is gone? There are certainly a lot of holes in the story..

That's another excellent point on the boots. However,it's worth pointing out that by this time of year there are probably no winter clothes or boots to be had. With the increase in unemployed and homeless and a decrease in donations,these types of things are going to go fast. On a more insidious note,people who work at these places may even be tempted to hold back the good stuff for themselves or their family.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
This is a good reminder for all of us who may have extra or unwanted items of clothing, shoes, etc.
to look around the house and see if there is anything that can be donated to Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

I know I will be making a donation trip tomorrow. Thanks to the OP for the post.
edit on 6-2-2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
There was also a lot of pressure on her dad to take care of her. I'm sure that they felt that the two of them had
been together and taking care of one another for such a long time, that they didn't want to involve outside help.
It appears her dad, may have been depressed for some time and the loss of her feet pushed him over the edge.

He wasn't thinking about her, though when he jumped out of the window. He was thinking of himself. He was tired of trying...he just gave up and ended it for himself without even thinking his very presence was healing to her. She could have been healing for him if he would of only been honest with her....they needed each other.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
This is a good reminder for all of us who may have extra or unwanted items of clothing, shoes, etc.
to look around the house and see if there is anything of that can be donated to Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.

I know I will be making a donation trip tomorrow. Thanks to the OP for the post.
edit on 6-2-2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

Better yet,skip the middle man and give the stuff directly to people in neighborhood or keep it handy in your car and give to someone along the way. That way you know it wound up in good hands.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Good points.

I have been looking for a pair of snow boots for my son for quite a while and haven't been able to find any in his size. He is just a little guy though, so its not that big of a deal I guess. That's probably why it didn't cross my mind in relation to this story.

The fact that they didn't have a car puts a damper on shopping around to find a decently priced pair of boots as well.

And your thought about the workers of thrift shops holding on to the "good" stuff is probably very true. I can totally see that happening.

I still can't get over that not having something as simple as snow boots could literally ruin your life.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I read this story and it brought me to tears..some people are just to proud to let others know how bad off things are they don't want people to think they need a helping hand..Her boss must not have cared much either he should have clearly seen the girl had duct taped boots and walked to work every day her co workers I'm sure noticed also some people just don't care they are so wound up in there own lives..I live in a small country town in Minnesota i can tell you this people here would have noticed and offend the girl and her father help this community would have given them what they needed and helped them to there feet whats a pair of boots cost not much.. The church would have gave them shelter the county would have had a fund raiser and help her dad get the help he needed for his depression ..All people need to do is look around and help there fellow man and this sorta thing should never happen but sadly it does every day..thank you for posting this thread~~

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Anyone that poor should have been able to get welfare assistance, or help from a church or another organization I would have swallowed my pride before allowing such suffering in my family. The story made me cry.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I hate to be a dick, but its her own fault. If she asked a church or something (and I'm not even Christian), some kind soul would have helped her get some new boots, or used boots.

She probably could have even posted on craigslist with her story and somebody would have helped her. It might have been some weirdo creep trying to hump her; but somebody would have helped her. Or maybe she could have gone to the bar and gotten a sugar daddy, or at minimum a boyfriend. I'm a young man... but do you know how many thousands I've spent on women? LOL

Bottom line is she didn't seek help, so what did she expect? Santa Claus to read her mind and bring her some in her sleep?

Plz...

edit on 6-2-2011 by FalselyFlagged because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2011 by FalselyFlagged because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join