It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ever been hungry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
many of us have strong positions regarding the homeless and poverty stricken.
my basic question for my fellow atsers is, have you ever been in this position yourselves?
to use the old cliche' have you ever wondered where your next meal may come from?
i can remember some lean times as a kid, dad outta' work, illness in the family eating up food money etc.
the worst time for me personally was years ago when i decided to walk the rockies from the mexico border to canada. i was caught in a serious early fall snowstorm in the bob marshal.
10 days that made me look a bit different towards reality.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
yes... everyday... it reminds me to eat.

I would say a very good strategy for preventing hunger is to not have more children then you have resources.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
yes... everyday... it reminds me to eat.

I would say a very good strategy for preventing hunger is to not have more children then you have resources.

in other words, not really, fridge has always been full.
the other part doesn't really make sense.
if the economy takes a serious dump your resources today
may feed your kids, but things change.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I've been pregnant... so I have been very hungry!

Seriously, my family went through some pretty hard times when I was growing up too. I remember no power or water at times. We didn't get a lot, but we managed to always get enough.

As an adult I have wondered how I was going to buy groceries a time or two. But growing up like I did, I always managed.

Fortunately I have never been truly hungry. I think a lot of folks in society think they have it rough without thinking of those who are in circumstances that could result in actual starvation or death from exposure. Out of sight out of mind. Most of us are extremely lucky even if it doesn't always feel that way.

edit on 2/6/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I wonder if it makes a difference to others to know, but yes I have gone through this as a child in the 40's. I suppose not many in the states experienced what I did, but it is either a growth event or it puts you down and one can never fully become normal.

The jest is, I went through some years of being abandoned by a father whom was the town drunk and we were in his care as we were kidnapped from our mother, whom I never met again. We, my brother and I were in more than 12 school changes and over 22 foster homes, not by the state,but selected by a non caring father by age 10. At least two of those were in a state orphanage for a short time.

At the end of that time, nearing 10 years old, we were living in a chicken coop and an old small building and winters were awful with snow blanketing our beds at night. No heat, no water and no toilet, nothing. Bathing or being clean or having clothing other than what was on our body was not known. Food was when he thought of it every few weeks. We ate raw potatoes, uncooked oatmeal and raw hamburger now and then. In the end before we were taken, we were less than six weeks from dying of starvation.

I remember our legs and arms were like skeletons and our bellies were distended. When we were taken to a farm and finally fed, my brother and I could not lift a crate of corn together, less than 13 lbs.

That is the short of it and the pain of this can fill a book, but like I said, it effects no one other than my life, but the others should feel fortunate if you avoided this. I leave you with a short message here. I was asked by a mysterious woman in mid winter if I was angry because all other kids had more than I did and food to eat. I answered "no, I am more lucky than they are because I am learning faster". So whom is ahead in life, those whom have everything or those whom had to struggle and overcome?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I have been hungry. I have been cold, homeless and alone. So, yeah, I know what it's like.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I have. But I usually stopped it by eating something.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Problem with ATS is that members always make fun of serious issues....Not funny at all guys. This was probably a bad question to ask....considering most posters on here are from a nation that has the highest obese population.

I've been hungry, Homeless and neglected as well. I guess lots of people have been through this experience. Such an event would change ones perspective of life and you learn never to take certain things for granted.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
"If you have some money or a pistol, you can get something to eat"- Richard Pryor

I can't say I've ever been really hungry. Ramen noodles can be bought for 25 cents, and that's pretty easy to come up with even in the worst of times where I'm at. So even when I was down on my luck, I managed to eat something.

I can consider myself lucky on that count. There are lots of places in the world where eating is not such a simple proposition.

new topics

top topics

join