It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the optic mouse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a while back i had an old fashioned roller ball mouse that i needed to replace, it was worn out.

so the guy at the store points me towards the optic mouses, no ball to get dirty or have to clean. the prices were as good as the roller ball mouse prices so i picked one up for 20 bucks.

i get it home. wow! smooth! i like it, no ball to get dirty sticky and i dont have to pick up the mouse so often.

and then it happened. the mouse would go haywire for about 1 second and jump all over the screen. normally when it does this it goes into one of the corners of the screen. nomrally this wouldnt bother me but i've gone to click to something only to have the mouse go berzerk and then jump the cursor into the upper right hand corner and i find i'm closing the program instead.

has anyone else had this problem? i'm still using a mouse pad but i'm thinking about using a pad of legal paper and seeing if that helps.

so now anytime i move the mouse before i click something i wait a couple seconds just to make sure i dont close the program down by "accident".

by the mouse is from microsoft, shouldnt known better.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Mine does that when there is a cat hair inside the little light pocket underneath , pick them out with tweezers .

the optical mouse pads work well , you need something with tiny little lines or grooves for the eye to scan , would recomend getting one made for optic mouse , paper never worked well for me.

Other than that , try a driver update...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Also , you can go to mouse properties in the control panel and click on pointer options , some go to the X on default.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
This happened with my Belkin Optical Mouse...it turned out to be a driver problem. Did you just plug it in and let Windows autoconfigure the drivers? or did you install the drivers for a disk that came with it?

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
it didnt come with a disk. it was just a mouse, plug it in and go. thats all i had to do, i checked repeatedly and i plugged it in and all was fine. then a few days later it acted up.

i would tink if it was a driver problem or soemthing like that it would have done this right out of the box.

as it is its an intermittant problem at the moment.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Is it USB or PS2?

Most mouse don't require drivers to work properly. Also, I still use my old Simpsons mouse pad, and it works just fine. You can use optical mouse on about just anything (except glass desk, that don't work. Actually, it's the only thing I've seen that don't work with optical mices lol...)

Is it a wireless?

Maybe you just were unlucky and grabbed a defective mouse. (unlikely, but still possible)

[Edited on 14-7-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I always get cat hair and other things in the opening. The opitcal sensor reads the hair and the pointer starts to shake.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Does your mouse pad have designs or lines printed on the surface? I use an optical mouse, when I didn�t use my solid color mouse pad and used my wood desk instead, the cursor would randomly jump around, probably because of the wood grain of my desktop. You need a solid colored surface for the mouse so the optical eye doesn�t get confused.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
i too get this same problem...

it sukz especialy (sp???) when playing games!!!

sry monkey, i cant help you...

maybe we will get some advice on this thread...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Microsoft are dressing up it mice.. new designer mice are coming out.

Who the hell is pompous enough to buy a "designer" mouse.

Microsoft has a way of coming out with new and innovative ways of producing a (c) mouse, instead of making a dependible operational one.

Sad that some people acutally define their lives by foolish things like this...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I use a Logitech optical wireless and it works great except when the batteries get low. I use a solid grey mouse pad nothing fancy and the reciever plugs into a USB port.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I sometimes have the same problem, again - usually becuase there is a hair in the hole (where the laser is).

I want to know why many people spend ridiculas amounts of money on the Micro$oft Optical Mice? I have always used Chic Optical Mice, and they are seriously �4 on www.ebuyer.com...

I have never had any problems with them, they have lasted so far (about a year so far). They work on all major platforms (obviously) including Linux and UNIX. Also, for that �4 (about $6) mine have got 5 buttons (plus scroller).

Logitech mice are really good too I know, I used to use them; and still have a few lying around - plus their prices are not too bad. But Micro$oft mice are very expenisve!

Who the heck would buy a 'designer mouse'??? I know who... All those show-off 'lusers' (you know the ones, the newbies who buy new computers every year, who don't need to - they just want the 'best' and show off).

Anyways, sorry for the rant, lol.
Back to the topic... I don't know of an anwser to completely solve the 'every so often glitch' in optical mice, but most seem to have them - so I just guess, it's 'normal' - maybe it happens when the laser cannot read the surface for a split-second?

[Edited on 16-7-2004 by MetalHead]

top topics

join