It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Alternatives to tobacco and other legal 'highs'? Any experiences people

page: 1
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to post this, figured here is as good as any...

So I smoke hand rolled tobacco, and I'm on Google looking for tobacco flavouring, pipes etc, see what else is on the market. Anyway I get to flavoured rolling papers, to tobacco flavouring and I keep ending up on these legal high type websites where they sell bongs and those weird smoking pipes you get in the Middle East. Had a little snoop round and saw an alternative to tobacco. 'Herbal Rolling Tobacco'. It sounds like a healthy alternative to tobacco, and is cheaper to boot. Aswell as a few anti-smoking(ironic, as you smoke it) websites promoting it as a stepping stone to stop smoking, or a healthier alternative, I guess.

Anyway I end up on a 'legal buds' website and the images look tempting. Naturally I realise you don't get high high, but even the seasoned pot heads seem to concede they're relaxing/calming and taste okay.

Then on a thread I was reading discussing these legal buds, somebody mentioned 'kava' as a better natural relaxent. I've heard of some of the Polynesian rugby teams taking that stuff, and it too sounds okay. And legal, I think.

I guess I'm making this thread to hear if any ATS members have experience with the above and other legal 'highs', or even herbs/drugs that effect mood and thought. Even if on a minimum level.

I'm probably gonna try all 3 anyway, and make the switch to herbal tobacco. But i'd like to hear from members with experience if possible.





posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
You can check for Calea Zacatechichi. It's a mexican bush. Even is the taste is ... it gently relaxes the body and is supposed to help with lucid dreaming.



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Kava can be addictive. Calea does induce a state of calm and extremely vivid dreams but it tastes BAD, I mean really really BAD. Before I had ever drunk it I remember thinking that it "couldn't be that bad" but trust me - it is.
You might want to consider blue lotus flowers in wine.
EDIT to add - with regards to herbal cigarettes I have only ever tried these and disagree with the review posted there. I found them to have a subtle and pleasant aroma and they were very calming and relaxing.
edit on 6-2-2011 by Arkady because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Completely legal stuff is often the most dangerous. Unless you absolutely know the ingredients of the product and know for sure that you will not have an adverse reaction, then I would avoid it. It is quite humorous that we can discuss substances that are legal here on ATS in a fairly unmoderated fashion, but talk about pot a bit and the whole thread is closed. End the drug war and be done with the insanity. My friend smoked some legal bud thinking it would be nothing big. The guy behind the counter told him "be careful with this stuff, it is powerful". He said "Yeah, you kidding?It is legal stuff, whatever". Well, Ten minuted later he is heaving his guts out and ALMOST went to the hospital and this particular person isn't a "noob". Be CAREFUL.
edit on 6-2-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Hmm I may look into this herbal tobacco as the price of cigarettes has become outrageous and I enjoy smoking too much to quit just yet, though I may try to grow my own in the spring, well see. As far as the legal high stuff goes I know nothing about it but I've got a friend whose into that sort of thing, I'll ask in a few days when I see him.



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The best legal high is meditation.

You may do a search for the "brand" which is most aligned to your present outlook.



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
Completely legal stuff is often the most dangerous. Unless you absolutely know the ingredients of the product and know for sure that you will not have an adverse reaction, then I would avoid it. It is quite humorous that we can discuss substances that are legal here on ATS in a fairly unmoderated fashion, but talk about pot a bit and the whole thread is closed. End the drug war and be done with the insanity.


From what I've read 'herbal tobacco' and kava is relatively safe. In that obviously smoking anything is going to be bad for you.

I agree on your ending point though. I was kicked from the chat room for mentioning that drug, this after reading a thread by one of the site admins on respecting the customs and cultures of other people. Seems those rules don't apply if something is illegal in the mighty US of A. What makes the incident even more ridiculous is we'd been chatting about alcohol for hours.



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigern
Hmm I may look into this herbal tobacco as the price of cigarettes has become outrageous and I enjoy smoking too much to quit just yet, though I may try to grow my own in the spring, well see. As far as the legal high stuff goes I know nothing about it but I've got a friend whose into that sort of thing, I'll ask in a few days when I see him.


I found a website where you could buy most the active ingredients and herbs and make your own with water and syrup. Or heated sugar water.

But the same website also had grow kits for the herbs themself. I'll see if I can find it again.

But also I was having a gander myself at pipes and pipe tobacco. Which seems to be notably cheaper also.



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
Kava can be addictive. Calea does induce a state of calm and extremely vivid dreams but it tastes BAD, I mean really really BAD. Before I had ever drunk it I remember thinking that it "couldn't be that bad" but trust me - it is.
You might want to consider blue lotus flowers in wine.
EDIT to add - with regards to herbal cigarettes I have only ever tried these and disagree with the review posted there. I found them to have a subtle and pleasant aroma and they were very calming and relaxing.
edit on 6-2-2011 by Arkady because: (no reason given)


Cheers mate. I was actually on that manufacturers website.

I've never heard of Kava being addictive, infact I'd heard the opposite. But I guess admitting it is the first step!

I think I'll pass on Calea, I doubt I could keep it down



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I'd have to go with music or excercise, both are legal.
And as a benefit, both are good you.



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose
 


This says what you need to know. There is no alternative to the real thing, maybe physically similar but not mentally. They basically take herbal sounding ingredients and spray them with a chemical but if you smoke tobacco you will know all about that. Who wants to live forever

Peace



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia
 

I tried 'Plant Food' before it was classified illegal, and it was bloody good, however since it has been pushed into criminal hands, I wouldn't advocate it - probably contains cement powder and allsorts, and it might damage your flower bed


There is the classic 'Room Aroma / Odouriser' such as those little colourful bottles of Gold and Rave they sell in some nightclubs - I used to like this when I was younger, just open the bottle and leave it in the corner of the room to experience the fragrance


I have heard bad reports on stuff like 'pond cleaner', apparently the 'fish' can have some really bad reactions to it.

Oh and there's Charge, which is a caffeine-based powder, so it's legal, but you might as well save your money and go on the energy drinks / pro plus.
edit on 6-2-2011 by rufusthestuntbum because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Legal buds don't work if you're looking to get high. Try kratom, which is legal and can easily be ordered online. As for quiting smoking, try an electronic cigarette. worked for me.



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusthestuntbum
reply to post by NadaCambia
 

I tried 'Plant Food' before it was classified illegal, and it was bloody good, however since it has been pushed into criminal hands, I wouldn't advocate it - probably contains cement powder and allsorts, and it might damage your flower bed


There is the classic 'Room Aroma / Odouriser' such as those little colourful bottles of Gold and Rave they sell in some nightclubs - I used to like this when I was younger, just open the bottle and leave it in the corner of the room to experience the fragrance


I have heard bad reports on stuff like 'pond cleaner', apparently the 'fish' can have some really bad reactions to it.


I know several people dead from 'plant food' last year, in a town of 20,000 people. Deadly stuff, when you think how many people are dying from it.

I have no interested in those sort of things though. I was thinking more along the lines of natural stuff that's grown in the ground. I don't want anything with a big list of chemicals on the back.

And those room odourisers, they're what gay people use right? We used to pass those around in school



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
As for quiting smoking, try an electronic cigarette. worked for me.


It really does work, a good friend of mine used one to quit in under six months, as soon as I've had my fill of $6 packs of cigarettes that's what I'll do.



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
Legal buds don't work if you're looking to get high. Try kratom, which is legal and can easily be ordered online. As for quiting smoking, try an electronic cigarette. worked for me.


Like an earlier poster, I don't actually want to quit smoking. I like the ritual of smoking, if you will.

Looking online at Kratom, it sounds like it can be quite intense. I'm not sure how much work I could get done on that stuff.



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigern

Originally posted by MysticPearl
As for quiting smoking, try an electronic cigarette. worked for me.


It really does work, a good friend of mine used one to quit in under six months, as soon as I've had my fill of $6 packs of cigarettes that's what I'll do.


I quit cold a few years back, without any problem what so ever. I simply stopped. Then I got drunk, and the rest is history


An electronic cigarette would make it harder for me, I'm sure. I'd hate trying to take a pull and hitting nothing but air. Would only fuel cravings.

It's more routine than addiction from my experience. I'd find myself at the start getting up off my chair every hour or so to have a cigarette. And realising that I was quitting and having to turn back. There wasn't much in the way of cravings, just the routine of getting up to have a cigarette when I'd bored myself or ran out of things to do.



posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

Originally posted by MysticPearl
Legal buds don't work if you're looking to get high. Try kratom, which is legal and can easily be ordered online. As for quiting smoking, try an electronic cigarette. worked for me.


Like an earlier poster, I don't actually want to quit smoking. I like the ritual of smoking, if you will.

Looking online at Kratom, it sounds like it can be quite intense. I'm not sure how much work I could get done on that stuff.

Another option would be poppy seed tea. I won't get into how to make it, and only tried it once, but everything you need is at your local supermarket or health food store, and it works, and is cheap if you buy seeds in bulk. Just google poppy seed tea and see what pops up. As with any drug, legal or otherwise, procede cautiously.




top topics



 
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join