It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chick-fil-A controversy shines light on restaurant's Christian DNA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

The ongoing Chick-fil-A flap - which has gay rights groups blasting the restaurant chain for donating food to an anti-gay marriage group - may be a fleeting controversy for a privately held company that is more accustomed to fiercely loyal patrons and generally positive press coverage.

But Lake Lambert, author of the book Spirituality Inc., says the flap may be a sign of more turbulence ahead for Chick-fil-A as it attempts to hold onto its conservative Christian business culture while expanding its chain beyond the Bible Belt.

“If you have a faith-based corporate identity and you want to function in the national marketplace, you’re going to continue to encounter resistance to those values because not everybody is going to share them,” says Lambert. “The only other option is some sort of secular identity and that’s not where Chick-fil-A is going.”

Lambert says Chick-fil-A is the most visible example of an American corporation trying to foster a specifically Christian identity. The company is privately held and family-run, making that task somewhat easier

religion.blogs.cnn.com...

There is obviously going to be a dichotomy about how people feel regarding Chick-fil-A's non secular business model depending on if they are Christian or not. However, this is about what the company is doing, and the customers certainly have a right to complain when the company is donating money to a discriminatory organization.

A co-worker of mine is is Christian. His family is very active in the Christian community and they give him nearly limitless coupons to Chick-fil-A to the point where he is eating it almost every meal. He has admittedly gained weight since subsiding on a 60% diet of Chik-fil-A and so has his family. He also does not consider the implications of the company's business model, and thinks that because they are christian and fried food tastes good that it's heaven in a bun.

To add to the Chik-fil-A controversy I'd like to point out the fact that they use factory farming as part of their business model. Not only does this go against their principles, and is horrible for the environment, and animals, but it creates unhealthy food that poisons their Christian bretheren who apparently eat this toxic stuff everyday because they have so many coupons for it.
edit on 6-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

+52 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Wel, as a corporation, they are free to donate to those that they wish to. Of course the people not donated to feel offended that it went to those opposed to them, and as such they will play the victim card as usual.............nothing to see here, judst a person running his business the way he wants to, while people try and tell him to do otherwise because they are offended.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well,
We know that no corporation ever gave money to a gay rights activist group. Right?
No corporation has ever tried to use donations to push their own agenda before.
It's only Chick-fil-a.

Just another day in the life.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It's really never been a secret that Chick-fil-a is a christian company. They are closed on Sundays. They have live gospel music at the restaurant near where I live, and always have some sort of quote on their sign that's reminiscent of what you see on church signs. The company is based out of Atlanta, Ga. They aren't the only big company like this either. Aaron's rental store is also a christian based company, though they hide it a little better than Chick-fil-a.

Wanna have fun with Chick-fil-a? Say "thank you" as many times as you possibly can to the employees. They have to say "It's my pleasure" every time you say it. It can be pretty funny.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I love eating Chic-fil-a.

So delicious.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It's not a secret, but then again I was unaware of it until my co-worker pointed it out. This thread revolves around the controversial donation of money to a discrimanatory organization, however, I could make a few more threads about Chik-fil-A covering different topics, like factory farming for instance, and that goes totally against their beliefs. It's hypocritical.

Originally posted by nwdogg1982
It's really never been a secret that Chick-fil-a is a christian company. They are closed on Sundays. They have live gospel music at the restaurant near where I live, and always have some sort of quote on their sign that's reminiscent of what you see on church signs. The company is based out of Atlanta, Ga. They aren't the only big company like this either. Aaron's rental store is also a christian based company, though they hide it a little better than Chick-fil-a.

Wanna have fun with Chick-fil-a? Say "thank you" as many times as you possibly can to the employees. They have to say "It's my pleasure" every time you say it. It can be pretty funny.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

The problem with the company donating money to that organization is that they are a privately owned business, as was stated above. The only way that we could do anything about it is by simply not eating there. They have as much a right to donate to whomever they wish as the individual citizen does. I don't agree with it, but it is a right that they have. Their primary target customer base is the christian community though, so boycotting it won't do much to deter the normal customers, and even most non-christians simply won't care enough to do so.

Since the topic isn't about their farming practices, I won't go into it, but I really think that is the bigger issue. If one were going to boycott the company, this is the angle you would want to go, as it would get more people to think about what they actually do.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
like others have pointed out, Chick-fil-A is a know Christian based buisness and if you'd do more research on the topic, Chick-Fil-A is providing lunch for a marriage conference called The Art of Marriage. it is just like any other conference that a church would put on for couples....

So NO Chick-Fil-A is not donating money so a group can make signs and go protest.

It's just a couples conference where the provided lunch will be from Chick-Fil-A

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
ChickFilA has a good business model, and they've provided many, many families with a means to be a part owner in a thriving, wholesome business. Families who would have never gotten that chance with other business models.

It's a privately held corporation, and off the top of my head, I'm not sure they'll miss the gays who don't like what they stand for.

After all, they stand for opposite moral standards.

If you like the food - and it's delicious - eat.

You don't - don't.

They're doing just fine by themselves, and this ruckus will likely encourage some folks to eat there more often.

It's worked that way for me.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This is a very inflamatory statement, sir.

Originally posted by FarArcher
It's a privately held corporation, and off the top of my head, I'm not sure they'll miss the gays who don't like what they stand for.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Who cares? really?
Should people be up in arms if a company donates something to a pro gay marriage group? No!
Who cares.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwdogg1982
Their primary target customer base is the christian community though, so boycotting it won't do much to deter the normal customers, and even most non-christians simply won't care enough to do so.

I am not non-Christian - - - I am pro Equal Rights for All.

I do boycott companies that I feel do not support Equality.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Just more inflammatory pro gay bs. If they serve food to a pro marriage thing, so what? It's a sad statement that they should be boycotted for this. Then again, from what I've seen anything not bubbling with enthusiasm to promote alternative lifestyles is just plain evil to some, makes no damn sense.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Reply to post by Annee

Well go ahead and boycott them for providing a lunch to a group of people.

Ridiculous.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Annee

Well go ahead and boycott them for providing a lunch to a group of people.

Ridiculous.

Inequality is not ridiculous.

Religion is the #1 reason for inequality IMO.

I will continue - - as many others do - - boycotting these companies.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Just more inflammatory pro gay bs. If they serve food to a pro marriage thing, so what? It's a sad statement that they should be boycotted for this. Then again, from what I've seen anything not bubbling with enthusiasm to promote alternative lifestyles is just plain evil to some, makes no damn sense.

You know there is more to this then just providing a dinner to a specific group.

It is political and politics affects everyone.

I don't see it as any different then soup kitchens in New York threatening to close their doors if they are forced to feed gays.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

My statement was inflammatory?

Like I give a damn?

This homosexual community is overly sensitive to everyone who thinks their behavior is aberrant. They're a very small minority.

The only thing maintaining this skewed tolerance is a very thin line of civil law. I think we saw in Iran what happens when the situation changes up.

Gives folks an opportunity to settle old scores, such as from rubbing things in people's noses all the time.

Not that I would be a proponent of such behavior.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I am not non-Christian - - - I am pro Equal Rights for All.

I do boycott companies that I feel do not support Equality.

Morally based private business donations have nothing to do with equality, any more than political donations. If they donated to a Democrat campaign, should they have to donate to a Republican for equality?

They serve the same food at the same price to all people regardless of age, sex, gender, or orientation.

This is only news because of the liberal, anti-christian, politically correct times we live in. I have never seen an article in the MSM about protesting businesses that donate to GLBT orgs or planned parenthood. This should be a non-story except for GLBT org newletters. Those who don't like it, don't have to do business with Chic-fil-a anymore than I do business with companies who support organizations or policies I am opposed to.

Edit: Almost every company does something that someone is opposed to one way or another. If everyone protested or stopped doing business with every such company, we would have NO economy and everyone would live living and sustaining themselves on private farms, never leaving their homes.
edit on 6-2-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
One thing I learned about running a business... the more successful you are, the more people think they know better than you how to run things. The less successful you are, the more people apparently like your efforts.

This is not about gay marriage, or equal rights, or anything like that. It's simple success envy.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
One thing I learned about running a business... the more successful you are, the more people think they know better than you how to run things. The less successful you are, the more people apparently like your efforts.

This is not about gay marriage, or equal rights, or anything like that. It's simple success envy.

TheRedneck

Maybe to you - - you are entitled to your opinion.

But you do not speak for me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join