It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody else feel like the MSM is pushing the 'rat out your neighbor' mentality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I was in my kitchen just now and a family member had Dr.Phil on. He was basically saying to rat out anybody who might be a child abuser/molester. "I would rather investigate 1000 cases without abuse than miss 1 that has abuse. If you know something or even so much as have a hunch on someone, write it down and call the authorities."

Every time i drive down the highway, i see a big sign that says 'report suspicious activity'. There was an app that came out recently, basically providing a way for people to online report anything suspicious. I've seen a lot of this lately. Child abuse is a serious subject and this is just one example (I've seen many), but it seems like the mainstream media is pushing the 1984 'report suspicious behavior' mentality more-so than ever.
edit on 6-2-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Don't you suppose it's a good idea to report people that you suspect of child abuse?

I agree through, that in general they are pushing the "rat our your neighbor" mentality. I just think this is a bad example; child abuse really is something we should be ratting out our neighbors for. It's Homeland Security type stuff that gets kind of creepy, like reporting people for being anti-government or being suspicious people of Arab descent.

We can't let them turn us on eachother, but on the other hand we should work to prevent people from doing bad things where we can. It's a rather tricky balancing act. I have to say, though, that if I thought my neighbor were abusing their child, I would report it. If I thought there were hosting anti-government meetings or doing something that scares Homeland Security, I would join them and bring refreshments.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned

Don't you suppose it's a good idea to report people that you suspect of child abuse?

I agree through, that in general they are pushing the "rat our your neighbor" mentality. I just think this is a bad example; child abuse really is something we should be ratting out our neighbors for. It's Homeland Security type stuff that gets kind of creepy, like reporting people for being anti-government or being suspicious people of Arab descent.

We can't let them turn us on eachother, but on the other hand we should work to prevent people from doing bad things where we can. It's a rather tricky balancing act. I have to say, though, that if I thought my neighbor were abusing their child, I would report it. If I thought there were hosting anti-government meetings or doing something that scares Homeland Security, I would join them and bring refreshments.

Of course i think it's a good idea to rat out child abuse. I just feel like the mentality of ratting out your neighbors is being pushed by the MSM as a modern-day McCarthyism.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Why, yes. Yes I do.
And there's more!:

Turn In Your Friends, Your Neighbors, Your Relatives, Your Children.. Join Infragard Today!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned

Most people who report stuff make up lies. Who is to say the next person reported is you, and your neighbour made it up about you.

People that come on here have done this(i.e made up anything to get a person killed or destroyed for nothing), and there will be plenty of others.
edit on 2/6/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Most people who report stuff make up lies.

Source?

I don't think that's true, but even if it is, does that mean that if you thought your neighbor was doing something genuinely bad - hurting someone else - you wouldn't do anything about it? How can that position possibly be justified?
edit on 2/6/11 by OnceReturned because: To add.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

i have a psychopathic brother who does just this.
edit on 6-2-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

Luckily most people aren't psychopathic though, and our views on matters such as this ought to be based on some sort of "reasonable person" standard, not on an extreme exception.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
iv seen people call child services out of anger a few times... false reports need to be investigated and charged.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Of course i think it's a good idea to rat out child abuse. I just feel like the mentality of ratting out your neighbors is being pushed by the MSM as a modern-day McCarthyism.

I agree with the general sentiment, but I think it's important to include the caveat that sometimes people deserve to be reported. If they're doing something genuinely bad, we can just ignore it. The anti-McCarthyism position certainly has merit, but the issue isn't black and white and there is some extent to which, under certain circumstances (i.e. child abuse), it is appropriate to "rat out" your neighbor.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

For one thing i have no interest what my neighbour is doing, i cannot stand them. Its none of my business, like my life is none of theres.

You people should always live by a rule of not talking to neighbours, they can be absolutely bad news.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This sounds so much like hitler propaganda,it scares the hell out of me.

People do forget history so it does not surprise me at all.

America will fall for this hype just like germany did.

I feel sorry for all the people in america who will have to live through it.

Welcome to the THIRD REICH America.

CX

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

For one thing i have no interest what my neighbour is doing, i cannot stand them. Its none of my business, like my life is none of theres.

You people should always live by a rule of not talking to neighbours, they can be absolutely bad news.

Andy, has there been one positive experience in your life...ever?

Hell, i'd even offer to meet up and take you out for a fun day out if i thought it might mean you smiled once. You would be doing yourself a massive favour if you focused more on what you enjoy, what makes you laugh, what makes you shine.

Neighbours, like most people on this earth can be the nicest people you can wish to meet. Yes sometimes you get the short straw, but i usualy find you reap what you sow. You get back what you give out.

Get my drift?

CX.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Child abuse is a really tough issue and just where do you draw the line? Some discipline is important, but things can go way beyond this and shatter a child during its most important years. False accusations do happen and can cause a lot of damage even after being proven innocent, especially with this sensitive topic. On this topic it is one thing I could rat in a neighbour if I had some strong suspicions. I have no respect for adults who abuse their power and responsibilities on such a helpless individual, they are weak people who need help and these cycles of violence must stop.

On the other side there are some really bad stories when children go into foster care and other protective services and can make matters even worst for the child. Children are a prime target for some stories of mind control going on and any reason to pull them away from the parent could be used for nefarious motives if the proper checks and balances are not in place.

It is a tough call. There are so many things that the government is not being straight about it is hard to trust them, but I would find it very hard not to anything. I have not been in this situation yet and would want to do more research assessing the options and repercussions before deciding who I would talk to about it.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Umm, unless you guys are all pot dealers or child abusers i dont think you need to worry...

No one is going to come arrest you for a chemtrail theory or any other idea you see around this forum, also if anyone could come up with proof of this happening in the past i would love to see it..

Sure, its fun and exciting to act like all this is going on and to pretend you are some french resistance fighter in a modern day ww2 but in reality none of you would be here posting and speaking so free if the world you projected anywhere close to the world we live in.
edit on 6-2-2011 by ShogunAssassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ShogunAssassins

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am still looking through some of this information, considering the allegations it is deep inside the pits of hell for your tin foil hat conspiracy theorists. Anyone with a respected career would be risking a lot talking about this. If you think the government, media and society is all roses and never lies then what are you doing here on ATS?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

I have been in this community a very, very long time...

Lets just say after a million and one failed theorys.

Waching these same people make money off the conspirecy theory community for so long.

Watching people excessively support these theories even after they are proven fakes.

Watching people attempting to make a conspirecy out of everything that happens (just look at recent posts, something happen in the world today? Its a conspirecy)

I really dont see how any of you can take much serious here anymore..

And that is not the fault of ATS.

Gov agents.

Debunkers.

Obama.

Muslims.

Mason's

Rhianna and the Illuminati lol

Its no ones fault but this community as a whole.. You lot are supposed to be investigators concerned with truth yet many of you take any lie at face value, ignore facts, make up facts, work from assumption to assumption with nothing to back your own theorys up but more speculation, brand anyone with a different view or trying to really look into what is going on from all sides a debunker or shill.. Basically people here take what they want of reality and leave the rest at the door.

:edit to add: no clue what that link is for kwakakev but it has nothing to do with what i said or this thread.

edit on 6-2-2011 by ShogunAssassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ShogunAssassins

There was congressional hearings into the MK Ultra program. This is fact. Research was going on into mind control during 1950's to 1970's under this program. Do you honestly think the CIA would have stopped here? The Monarch Program mentioned above in the link continues of the MK program. Do you have any facts that discredit the research performed by Cisco Wheeler and Fritz Springmeier? I mention again that I am still looking into it, from what I have seen so far it does justify further investigation. If you have something constructive to add I would like to hear it.

new topics

top topics

join