It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Massive Power Failure in Tallahassee, FL.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
A massive power failure kept half of Tallahassee without power, taking out almost half of the city's 300 traffic lights. The power failure lasted for almost three hours.

Tallahassee Melts, Crashes In Massive Power Failure
The power failure began about 1:30 p.m. with a malfunction in the city's Purdom plant at St. Marks, which had gone back online two weeks earlier. By 2 p.m., the city's two power plants -Purdom and Hopkins - had lost all generating capacity.

At the time, the city's electric utility was runing a load of about 550 megawatts, near its record high of 590 megawatts. By 4 p.m., the city was generating 100 watts of power, using all the city's small gas turbine and emergency peaking units and the 10 megawatt hydroelectric generator on Lake Talquin. In addition, power was being purchased from other sources and brought in on city transmission lines.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

By 5 pm city utility workers had restored service to 90% of its customers.

XL5

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I don't know how a city can only generate 100watts of power, I can make more wattage with a tread mill with a generator. It must mean 100 megawatts.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
I don't know how a city can only generate 100watts of power, I can make more wattage with a tread mill with a generator. It must mean 100 megawatts.

I agree with you. That was probably an error.
I just posted what the report said.

XL5

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Not blaming you for the typo at all

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The massive power outage in Tallahassee has been blamed on "a faulty $100 cable" which triggered the shutdown on Tuesday.

City blackouts traced back to $100 cable
"The cable didn't function properly," said Kevin Wailes, general manager of the city's electric utility, on Wednesday. "When that happened, the control system said, 'Uh-oh, I've got to shut the plant down.'"

Wailes said the Tuesday afternoon blackout, which lasted for about three hours and affected about half of the city's 97,000 electric customers, started with the faulty cable at the Purdom power plant in St. Marks.

"It's just a ribbon cable that runs between two cards in the control system of the plant," Wailes said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

top topics

join