It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern lights to be seen in the UK very soon...no really!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
They have already been seen

Displays of the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) have already been seen further south than usual in Northern Ireland and elsewhere in the UK. And further activity is expected over the next few days.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Rubbish, not only was the weather in the past 12h unfavourable for all part of the British Isles for Aurora Viewing, the CME hasn't hit the Magnetosphere yet and is still on its Earthbound way. When the Real-time activity starts prepping up at the lancs observatory in the next few hours we'll know when the geomagnetic storm is starting.
www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk...

Combined with the Magnetosphere simulator which gives us a good indicator of the polarised weakening, to allow any heated particles to channel to ground. www2.nict.go.jp...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Where did you get the info relating to the "downgrading" of the chances of a solar storm or CME from? I live in the NE of Scotland and probably won't see any of the lights due to heavy cloud cover as I type (8.10pm).

Your post has a faint trace of downplay thats why I'm asking about your sources. No offence meant of course.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 1mabeliever

NOAA has slightly downgraded the chance of geomagnetic activity on Feb. 17th to 35%. Those are still good odds, however, so high-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.

spaceweather.com...

That was this morning, though.
It is always best to downplay these things, because most of the time you end up dissapointed.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Ok thanks for that. Was just going to go to that website to check for myself. Like I said, no offence meant.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 1mabeliever

To be fair, I really should of linked it first time around though.
My bad

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well here in London UK,
There's a lovely color to the night sky almost a dark blue/green, Thats about all i can see for the moment though but it is quite stunning so makes sure you get out and have a peek,

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join