It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Military Launches Secret Satellite to Test Space Spy Tech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

U.S. Military Launches Secret Satellite to Test Space Spy Tech

www.space.com

A trailblazing payload for the National Reconnaissance Office successfully rocketed into orbit on a Minotaur 1 booster Sunday, beginning a secret mission testing new ways to collect intelligence from space.

The mission was codenamed NROL-66 in the agency's rocket acquisition naming system. The payload is also called RPP, which is short for Rapid Pathfinder Program.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
spaceflightnow.com

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
There is a fantastic picture gallery at Spaceflight Now;

spaceflightnow.com...

Credit: Gene Blevins/LA Daily Newsurl

The Minotaur 1 rocket soars into the predawn sky over Lompoc, Calif., in this long exposure image.

U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class Lael Huss

A Minotaur I rocket was launched from Space Launch Complex-8 here at 4:26 a.m. (PST) Feb. 6. The rocket carried a national security payload for the National Reconnaissance Office.

Rocket: Minotaur 1
Payload: NROL-66
Date: Feb. 6, 2011
Time: 4:26 a.m. local (7:26 a.m. EST)
Site: SLC-8, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.

The U.S. spy satellite agency hasn't revealed what techniques or sensors the craft will test in space. Its cost, contractor and size are also secret.

But the lightweight payload launched on a Minotaur 1 rocket, the smallest booster used by the NRO since the agency's existence was declassified in 1992. The Minotaur's nose cone can fit a spacecraft as large as a kitchen refrigerator, and the four-stage rocket can haul nearly 1,000 pounds into low-altitude polar orbits.

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-2-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Amazing pics! We've been launching a lot of stuff up into space lately, makes me wonder...........

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Yeah, we are all wondering.

Last one launched just last month on the 20th of January.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Like the last one, this one has mention of the devil, only this time its actually a devil
sitting on the rocket.

Anyone else here thinking that is the satellite itself?

Which leads back to the cryptic latin on the last launch patch...

The Latin words “melior diabolus quem scies” are inscribed on the patch. This roughly translates to mean “the devil you know,” as in the phrase “better the devil you know than the devil you don’t know.”

www.thespacereview.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
There is a scent of Cold War between China and the USA lately.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobbyTarass
There is a scent of Cold War between China and the USA lately.

I've been saying this for quite some time. I think there is a war going on but it is with weapons no one wants to admit too.... HAARP/Electromagnetic/Scalar

Both sides are testing, counter testing capabilities.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
We can't afford to upgrade the shuttle but somehow in another budget we can afford to keep up the technology to spy on the little people. Great job on the mission patches, thats just plain old creepy.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbyTarass

reply to post by pianopraze

Yes, been hearing the rumors too.

Read a decent write up on it this morning...going to try and find again to look at the details.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well its only a matter of time before other countrys followed in Tesla's work so I for 1 am glad our military had it first...(I just hope we survive the testing of said weapons)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

You know what is interesting?

I read this...www.time.com...

and this

Private industry could be prepared to go where NASA fears to tread and develop a spaceplane to replace the space shuttle and ferry crews to and from the International Space Station. But if industry succeeds, it will be thanks to decades of work by the space agency on lifting-body reentry vehicles

Very interesting...huh? aviationweek

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Amazing pics! We've been launching a lot of stuff up into space lately, makes me wonder...........

The thing is, these launches take years to prepare. The Delta IV Heavy that launched a NRO satllite in January took three years to buuilod and transport, so the decision to go had to have been made 4 or 5 yrears ago at least. Right now they have a schedule for launches up to 2017. And you also have the satellite to design and build--not that we'll have any good information for that. So the point is that these launches cannot possuibly be to track recent events. They take too long to plan for that.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think privatization could be the best route to go. As long as the government is willing to release the stranglehold on space. There are a lot of brilliant minds out there that could accomplish great things if allowed to. But the governmental bodies aren't quite ready in my opinion to allow others up into their sandbox. Which from a security standpoint I can see their issues, but to truly expand as a race I think the belt needs to be loosened a little more.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Agreed, and it seems that there is a lack of high points in the last decade.
www.time.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

The patches are interesting, as are the numbers and names

Minotaur 1? 66? Very mythological and esoteric.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

No kidding...

I have a little idea...
Inferno Canto XI:1-66 The structure of Hell: The Lower Circles

www.poetryintranslation.com...

And the devil rides on the rocket...

top topics

join