It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Church of England vow to fight "new atheism" Clergy told to take on the 'new atheists'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Clergy are to be urged to be more vocal in countering the arguments put forward by a more hard-line group of atheists such as Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, who have campaigned for a less tolerant attitude towards religion.
in an attempt to combat the rise of secularism and defend Christianity in Britain.

A report endorsed by Dr Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, warns that the Church faces a battle to prevent faith being seen as "a social problem" and says the next five years are set to be a period of "exceptional challenge".

It expresses concern that Christians are facing hostility at work and says the Church could lose its place at the centre of public life unless it challenges attempts to marginalise religious belief.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Ah, so the Snake Oil Salesmen that wear frocks are declaring war eh ? They seem to have suddenly developed amnesia and have forgotten that it was then who started the war.

New Atheists ? Well I've got news for the JuJu men, Atheism is not new atheists are merely coming out of the closets that the xtians were supposed to be praying in.

Obviously Jesus must be running out of money for this all out attack on non belief, well I'm afraid to say they've had their time to make peace over and over but refused to respect other people, now the tables are turning.

The Jesus godman came not to bring peace but war so he said, well he certainly was true to his word, trouble is he was outmatched from the start as the god of reason is sending him back to the bronze age with the rest of the invisible men in the sky.

What goes around comes around.

The conspiracy of xtianity is now being blown wide open it's well past time this nonsense was expoesed for what it is, a money making death cult.
edit on 6-2-2011 by The Djin because: add

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

The conspiracy of xtianity is now being blown wide open it's well past time this nonsense was exposed for what it is, a money making death cult.

Couldn't agree more.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Agree. Desperate actions of a failing organisation. About time.

Britain doesn't need a state religion. Time the whole state religion, defender of the faith stuff was given the heave ho.

Religion only works if the current generation indoctrinates the next while their minds are malleable. Thats not been happening so much for the last few decades. Without the head-start provided by indoctrination it will inevitably lose to reason.

Sorry, time to get a real job Mr williams.
edit on 6-2-2011 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Fighting? War? Attacking? Such nice words coming from the loving kind gentle god crew. So are they going to burn us at the stake? Brand us with hot irons ect To prove their gentle loving kind god is right? A bit of murder rape and pillage in the name of the loving kind gentle spirit in the sky.
People are waking up to their bs and its about time, they all came out of the closit. Bunch of cross dressing perverts.
edit on 6-2-2011 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
To Christians that think that eating bread and drinking wine will book you a place in heaven - you're deluded.
To Christians that listen to the words of Jesus and have the ears to hear, so to speak - you're lucky, lucky people.
To anyone that wants to take on the Father and the Son - you will lose.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I really wish this pair of opposites, atheists and religious fundamentalists, would just cancel each other out so the meek could inherit the earth.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
All bark and no bite leaves a toothless dog almost defenseless, but I think all of these dogs still have teeth.

It'll be a bloody battle, like it always has been.

I'm glad I live in the US.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Re Djin

As always your OPs bring light, joy and merriment into my otherwise allegedly meaningless, drab and psychologically insecure life; which should cover some of the recent fads from the evangelist persuasion gang.

I'm in a real prophetic mood today, probably rubbed off from having to 'argument' with an evangelist with an argumentation manual out-of-date (at another thread). A manual from the time when prophesies and Satan still could be used without people laughing.

So I will prophesy, that there will be a soon appearance of bible-verses and/or persecuted christians around here.

But that's not what, I came to talk about, so maybe I shouldn't 'ave said it.

What I find very funny is, that when the bad-guy-gang (liberals and other intrusive commie-types like us excessively rationalists) recently has suggested, that christian campaigns are somewhat centralised, as in....

"The next few weeks...everybody out and do: 'Atheists are closet religionists. As often, noisy and as scholastic as possible" such bad-guy-gang suspicions have been denied.

Christians are free, non-zombified individuals, not taking orders from anyone (with the possible exception of 'god', but he hasn't said much the last few thousands of years) and the Pope ofcourse, ...sometimes.

But now it seems, that such 'save-us-from the heathens' campaigns maybe ARE centralized after all, and I will with no small pleasure look forward to christians trying to talk themselves out of that one.

This situation probably even isn't considered in the latest version of the 'christian argumentation manual', so some improvised christian efforts can turn out to be a source of further entertainment.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Clergy are to be urged to be more vocal in countering the arguments put forward by a more hard-line group of atheists such as Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, who have campaigned for a less tolerant attitude towards religion.

Gonna be fun to hear their counter arguments

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Re Soke33

You wrote:

["It'll be a bloody battle, like it always has been."]

That covers quite a range, but as the first christian performer here, I shall give you some special attention. I take it, that one extreme of your statement above can refer to the militant-moneymaking-megalomaniac-monopoly-missionary-military US christian right.

So....as to bloody battle:

"Lawhdy, we did as you commanded us to, and scourged the un-repenting sinners. Unfortunately we had to destroy the whole planet doing it, but you can't make an omelet without cracking the eggs. If you're familiar with that expression, Lawhdy.

But as our teachers always have told us: The aim justifies the means, and in any case THEY made us do it, and we loved them all the while we nuked them. So we did it by the book.

Amen and over, Lawhdy".

edit on 6-2-2011 by bogomil because: typos

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Dawkins so is a biologist so what they're basically saying is "WE'VE GOTTA FIGHT SCIENCE." which has happened before and every time they Church has failed.

They said the world was flat, Astrologers proved them wrong.
They said sun revolved around the earth , astronomers proved them wrong.

They said earth six thousand years old , geologist proved them wrong.

I mean they can fight Tyson and Sagan and Hawking and Dawkins all they want but history and SCIENCE is on the side of the scientist

Personally , If it comes down to adebate between the guy who figured out Pluto wasn't a planet (Tyson) and the Pope , I'm gonna go astrophysicist who use to work for NASA and went to Cambridge.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Student X
I really wish this pair of opposites, atheists and religious fundamentalists, would just cancel each other out so the meek could inherit the earth.

Announcer:

"In a deep, mesmerizing show of force... Atheism vs Catholicism!! The two giants come together to debate who is right on something... beyond either of their comprehension.. to determine.. who is the better debater!! Riveting new camera technology allows us to see the full action of facial expressions and body language!! Buy your season tickets now, this will be the season that changes.. well, it will be exactly the same, but you know you like the train wreck!"

Its like a hobby/sport, but for lawyers!

You bring the caramel popcorn, ill bring the nachos student X

It should also be noted that those scientists who found the earth was round, and the orbit around the sun, and many, many countless other topics, were called heretics by the church and were also considered frauds by mainstream science. It took a while for both groups to accept it
Interestingly it seems to be that very base mindset that has followed science throughout the years...

"Dont say it sinohptik!"

almost like...

"Hes gonna do it!!"

religion!!

a shocked gasp emits from the crowd

*runs away cackling*

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
After my excursion into simplicity, I will return to relating to the OP.

Not having been to England 20+ years, it's difficult to form a precise opinion on the situation there, but I can draw parallels to other european contries I'm familar with; especially Poland, where I've been a frequent guest many years (actually lived there almost two years).

After the disintegration of Sovjet, the catholic church in Poland saw its big chance to get back in power, and not surprisingly it started to poke its nose into as much as it could. Especially politics, to the degree that the churches for a while became agitation centers for the somewhat local political right-wing.

The clergy pushed and pushed and pushed, not knowing when to stop, and the polish people, who are lovely, but also rather volatile, soon had enough of the pushing and the commies, who for good reasons were impopular until then, suddenly had a mediumsized renaissance, which really indicates something in Poland. The church naturally lost much credibility in the process.

This demonstrates two things:

1/ That christians will re-start their old stunts of infiltration and efforts of taking over, given the chance, and ...

2/ It doesn't function these days.
edit on 6-2-2011 by bogomil because: typo

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

lol Seems like the games have started www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm getting the feeling that the traditionally more vocal xtian posters are starting to back off, I would hope to think that it's because they have learned to think and reason and are beginning to see the delusion they live.

Sadly I'm more inclined to think that there is some sort of mental psychosis behind being a christian believer and like bullies in the schoolyard will hide away until they spot an easier target to groom,.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join