It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we ever agree on one god??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
So many of the worlds problems seem to stem from religious differences, is it absurd to think that one day there might be a uniform god that everyone worships alike? I believe it would make the world a better place to live but with so many cultures and ethnicities it is sure never to happen. How can people have so many different beliefs, they obviously all cant exist so does that mean some people are merely worshipping a concept?

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
no....we could never agree on WHICH God, or in the case of some of us Goddess.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It's a good thought, but it sounds like religious communism. Good in theory, not in reality.

They can ALL exist, and the "problem" of so many cultures is not a poroblem at all. its the purpose. Inmy point of view, most ( I dont know all of them obviously) are based on the same priniciples. They are all the exact same, they are just different variations to accomdate different cultures, lifestyles, and time periods.

Basically outlaw, everyone does worship the same god. But shh...don't tell them that.:

AF1

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
As long as man exists, he will continue to create gods.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Outlaw
So many of the worlds problems seem to stem from religious differences, is it absurd to think that one day there might be a uniform god that everyone worships alike? I believe it would make the world a better place to live but with so many cultures and ethnicities it is sure never to happen. How can people have so many different beliefs, they obviously all cant exist so does that mean some people are merely worshipping a concept?

This is exactly what the anti-christ is suppose to achieve. A one world religion.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
They can ALL exist, and the "problem" of so many cultures is not a poroblem at all. its the purpose. Inmy point of view, most ( I dont know all of them obviously) are based on the same priniciples. They are all the exact same, they are just different variations to accomdate different cultures, lifestyles, and time periods.

I agree with Scat.

Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism all have a core belief that Salvation/Nirvanna is achieved through compassion and humility.

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all believe in One God.
At the core of Hinduism, there is the belief that all things are part of Brahman (one God).
Buddhism have no god per se, but believe in The Dharma or the truth.

Each believes the ultimate goal of one's existance is to achieve Paradise/Nirvanna/Heaven.

These 5 religions make up ~76% of the world's population.

Why do religious differences create so many problems? Pride. Someplace along the way, people began to think "This is the right way." which became "This is the only right way." which became "My way is the only right way, so your way is wrong."

When two sides have a disagreement, there are only two solutions: compromise and war.

The irony is, each of these 5 religions teach that pride must be released to reach Nirvanna/Heaven/Paradise.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
But there are many God/dess.... even in the bibles, the 10 commandments say,
Jewish
You shall have no other gods but me.
Catholic
I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have other gods besides me.
Protestant
You shall have no other gods but me

Never says that there is only "one" god.....just don't put others first......it would be hard for every one to beleive in only one, or "which" one

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
NO never it�s a warped idea, with hints of Satanism and NWOism. NO. There are lots of Gods, and that�s the way it will always be unless one of the above mentioned gets its way.

Religion isn�t the problem in the world anyways. Its greed and selfishness. The crusades were nothing more but an excuse for most of them to go out and rape pillage and murder. The Palestine Israel conflict is nothing more really then just a land grab. People just use religion as an excuse. IMHO

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AF1
As long as man exists, he will continue to create gods.

Amen to that, Just like so human to think of themselves not as one human race but made from diference races that how the views of God is.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I don't think we will ever achieve a true globally peaceful society until a majority of the worlds population can "self-actualize" themselves into realizing that there is no such thing as "God", or "the devil, or heaven, or hell, or any other sort of after life. When people realize that there is nothing after death, maybe then people will respect life enough to not kill it so easily. As long as people think that when someone dies, they are either going to live out eternity in paradise or (in the case of one's enemies), are going to be punished for the rest of eternity in hell, the killing will always continue...

So we need to stop believing and "worshipping this concept" of religion, that we will live forever, and start realizing the "miracle" that life really is, and start enjoying it to it's fullest, rather than wasting that precious time on death and destruction... in my humble opinion anyway...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
As long as people have free will it will never happen. No one will ever agree that Buddah isnt real and the Christian God is, or that the Chrisatian God isnt real and Buddah is.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I agree with earlier comments... which god should be chosen to be worshipped by everybody? And then who's to say we should even believe in a god, per say, when so many believe in aliens and goddesses?

Perhaps the Hebrew God?

*snicker*

When you consider alot of the Jewish community... let me rephrase that... there have been reports made by the Jewish community as to who or how many gods there actually are, based on the Old Testament... scholars are divided, naturally, but the findings showed that there were three distinct personalities of 'god', with the actions, treatments, etcetera, towards us mere mortals.

Then, too, is that puzzling word 'Elohim'. Do you except the current belief of the word, or do you lean towards the original meaning... ie, the gods. Plural.

Now, that's just the Hebrew.

Let us go in another direction, in that the world already worships one god. Does not the Bible say "I am known by many names, all paths lead onto me" ?

Or how about this...

Zoroaster, a Sumerian prophet born of a virgin mother (impregnated by a beam of light from the heavens) was exhiled for teaching of a one, High, god. His wanderings took him to India, where he helped in the development of Hinduism.

In Mayan culture, a man came to shore, calling himself Itzamna. This prophet was also of virgin birth, was able to raise the dead, cure the sick... and he taught of a single High God.

Let's not forget about Jesus Christ...

Three distinct areas of leaning, all with their seperate cultures and beliefs, all having prophets of virgin births praising a High God... but here, too, is a problem.

High God.

Meaning, there must be lesser gods, or else it would just be One God, right?

Now, let's look at creation myths... this is where we actually see the One High God...

In Hebrew, the High God (or, Jesus' dad), slew the dragon Rahab.

In Sumerian, Enki split Tiamat in two... Tiamat had stolen the names of the other gods (as any occultist knows, to know the true name of your... enemy... is to have power over them). Enki had the names given to him. All the gods were born, in one way or another, through the dreams of a Sleeping God.

Norse, Thor versus Foom (or whatever its name was). The younger gods (Celtic mythos) fought the Frost Giants... but from where the younger came, I forget... sorry.

Mayan, the younger gods had to trap the older gods, which were spawned from the Sleeping God's nightmares, behind the True God...

Greek gods (also the younger) overthrowing the older Titans...

So, then, all of our current, excepted dieties are the younger, off spring of older gods, who were created by the visions of a singular Sleeping God...

In deciding who to pray to, shouldn't we pray to the Sleeping God? After all, when He wakes up, and the trapped older ones are let loose... well, use your own imagination.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outlaw

Their is only one God but he has many names................The only one true
God is the creator of Heaven, Earth AND our Souls............The Dark
deceiver can not create souls and that is how we will know God.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I think most people who believe in A GOD already believe in the same GOD - it is only the human interperetations and supposed messangers from GOD that cause all the strife. If you consider Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism and Islam you have a good portion of the world population covered - and I contend they all belive in the same GOD - one GOD. However, the disparity comes when you include the human factor, the prophet, the messanger, the representations, the messiah - the man or the image that is supposedly the one with the "direct link to GOD" that no other man has or the image of GOD that no one else has seen.

So the disparity is all about the human factor - remove the human influence/factor/control and we will most likely find that all of us who believe in GOD will agree on the GOD FACTOR.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I doubt you'll ever see a time when everyone worships the same gods/god/godess/godesses. People like to form groups and be different from one another so you'll always have different BS (belief systems)

(EDIT: I'm King Typo tonight!)

[edit on 14-7-2004 by Biggie]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
There is one true God. The other religions have similar concepts because it is necessary to create false religions in a manner that does not violate the imprint left by the Creator in the minds of the creation.

Pick the religion you feel is the one true God, I know who He is, the point is, we do not all worship the same God. A God who created such a universe is not that mentally weak so as to not know who He is or how He should be worshipped. This is just another lie, and it caters to our desire for God to cater to our wants rather than the other way around.

Can we all worship the same God? Sure, and we all will bend our knee and bow our heads to the real God. Better to do it now on our own accord than then, when an angel helps you assume the position.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Pick the religion you feel is the one true God, "I know who He is", the point is, we do not all worship the same God. A God who created such a universe is not that mentally weak so as to not know who He is or how He should be worshipped.

How is it that YOU KNOW WHO HE IS? And how is it that you know better than any one of his other creations? And how do you even know that God demands worship - let alone how he demands we worshp?

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Both the Essenes (writers of the Dead Sea Scrolls) and Kabalists believe that all religions go to the same god... that everything, magic/religion/whatever are just different aspects of the same being.

Does this clarify anything?

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
Both the Essenes (writers of the Dead Sea Scrolls) and Kabalists believe that all religions go to the same god... that everything, magic/religion/whatever are just different aspects of the same being.

Does this clarify anything?

Who is it you are resonding to here?

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   

So many of the worlds problems seem to stem from religious differences, is it absurd to think that one day there might be a uniform god that everyone worships alike?

IMO it iwould be better to accept that "there is one mountain, and many paths to the top of that mountain."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join