It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Time to Stop Lurking...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I've been shamelessly lurking this forum for years now and found the decorum, interesting content, and several recent developments finally warranted joining the ATS forum and introducing myself to the community. I'm sure I could spend a long time rambling about myself here for several hundred words, so that's exactly what I'll do here. I expect no one to read this long introduction from a random sequence of data over the internet, but will provide the following introduction for context to add some dimension to interested parties some day.

I am employed full time as a writer of paranormal topics, but I won't list where I publish my whereabouts on the internet here or likely anywhere else as site promotion isn't the purpose of this account. I may at some future time wish to publish something I've written in the forums somewhere, but I will of course contact the appropriate parties ahead of time to ensure I don't incur any bad internet karma from it. I like ATS already, and the only reason I didn't post before was because I have other venues for expressing my opinions and any opinion I have is generally voiced by someone or another somewhere here.

I'm socially active (long term girlfriend, poker nights, live-in best friend and live theater) and though I spend too much time online it's largely because this is where I work. As far as beliefs go I'm a skeptic, but I study the folklore of current events, pop culture (from the 1930's-50's), memetic thought patterns (like how everyone but me can know who Justin Bieber is), and frontier science of the weird variety (reprap, energy independence, sustainability without the green slant). My goal currently in the world is two fold: to think up new ideas and convey them to massive numbers of people via artistic medium and to construct a completely enclosed and comfortable independent environment (not survivalist - I grew op on a farm and very much like the comforts of modern society).

Politically my friends all call me a "reasonable if only polite" republican, except for the republicans who say I'm a "borderline reasonable" liberal. I don't like political labels and I think neither label represents me. I think there are enough categories already. I respect the art of conspiracy theorizing as a medium for expressing apprehension about the conflict between individual sovereignty and collective goals. If I were to feel passionately about politics the emphasis would be on maximizing individual liberties peacefully using the legislative process. I'm also usually wary of what "everyone" seems to be doing at any given time and feel comfortable in these situations stepping back and looking around for a better route. I feel strongly about feminism, because half the people I ever really liked was a woman

Religiously I'm universally agnostic which is far from the philosophical cop-out many claim it to be. I also don't jump at the first phantasmal figure to leap out at me and assume it's the second coming. If the universe is as big as I think it is (or as big as I'm told it is) I suppose there are several things in it I might consider "godly." I feel like my philosophical beliefs mirror my political ones, but with the addendum that I think I make most interpersonal decisions based on my guts, which generally tell me to do nice things for other people because it's polite and the Golden Rule breeds interpersonal bonds, loyalty, and feeds a hero complex I think we all have deep down.

Astrologically I'm a Leo if that means anything. It shows in my social and professional lives, but less in my intellectual pursuits. I want to become better always, but I have various and often conflicting views of what "better" is.

I like writing, poetry from the romantic, Victorian, and modern eras; literature, vintage science fiction, action movies with no artistic or intellectual merit, Bing Crosby, Suits, and Philip K. Dick. My list of dislikes is longer, but happily also more private.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Geistjaeger

\Welcome to ATS.
Looking forward for your posts.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
welcome to the site. based on what you've said about yourself, i think you'd fit right in.
at least i did, and i'm a fellow leo.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Geistjaeger

Hey there and welcome to this side of the fence ... thanks for the very informative intro ... sounds like you have a lot to bring to the ATS table and I look forward to reading your contributions.

Woody

top topics

join