It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pigs Ears more valuable than pork!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Today I went into Woolworths. A supermarket retailer in Australia. (for you non-Australians). I was just browsing through looking for things to throw my money away on. Because that's what i'm trained to do! I thought of my beautiful chocolate labrador, Charlie the Chocolate Factory (because that's what he is) as I came to the pet isle.
He's got Smacko's in the pantry and bones in the freezer already.

He's a spoilt dog and I chose to get a little treat for him.....again. I first looked at a tight rapped flavoured preserved pig shank. $4.99! "Get stuffed", I thought.

Then I saw a pigs ears. "He'll love that crunchy little *#%~er", I said to my wife.

$2.39 for a 10gram pigs ear!!!

Frustrated I hurtled round to the meat section. Pork approximatel $24 per kilo depending on cut.

That makes pigs ears $239 per kilogram in Australian supermarkets and even more for preserved pig bones. What has happened to the world.....

NB: BP's regular unleaded has gone offline in Australia and today I had to make the choice between 10% "ethanol/water" unleaded @ $1.42per litre or BP Ultimate98 for $1.54per litre. I got 25.86 litres for $40.00 Australian dollars. That is almost $9.24 per gallon for premium unleaded....

I'm almost ready to go POSTAL!!!

edit on 6/2/11 by spearhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by spearhead

The higher price for pork ears versus meat makes sense to me. There is only a few grams of ear per pig, but pounds of other pork products per porcine.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
This is a conspiracy. Period,

It should have peen posted in the conspiracy section of ATS.

... and it was... because it is a general conspiracy.

I applaud the OP for posting it here.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

There is a larger demand for pork/bacon/ham than there is for pigs ears....... dogs eat pigs ears..... DOGS!!!! Dogs don't demand pigs ears!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I noticed also Chicken thighs go for as much or sometimes for than the breast meat now... guess people cottoned onto the fact that they're tastier...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SerialLurker

Oh yeah. Thighs, slow cooked in a casserole. J-juicy! Breast meat dries out to fast in an oven.... but that's getting off topic.

edit on 6/2/11 by spearhead because: too fast...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Have you ever thought that the price also comes from the fact that not many are sold, and it's taking up retail space?

I understand you complaining about insanely expensive gasoline (or petrol or whatever you guys call it).... but serious... You're pissed about pig ears? Don't buy it if you don't want it.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The thing is, I would buy it if i didn't cost 10% of my hourly wage!

I'll go into the bush, blow a pigs head off with my Fausti Stefano and have 2 pigs ears for the cost of 1 cartridge....

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I did the math. Current fuel prices here are equal to $5.83 per gallon. Does that sound right for you American folk?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
d00d. The pigs ears are individually wrapped in plastic, the are cooked already, and have tasty BBQ?/flavour on top for your dog to enjoy.

Now those pigs ears have to be cut off the pig by someone, put flavour on top, roasted in an oven, wrapped in plastic, put in a cardboard box, shipped off to the coles warehouse probably via truck on pallets; which would be rented, someone has to drive it there using the petrol as mentioned, and then they need to be picked out by somoene when a store gets low and orders it, taken on another truck to the woolworth store, packed on to the shelf and sold for a profit.

A cow? bone for my dog at my local butcher costs $3.00, which also gets cut in half. But then again that bone doesn't get extra flavour and roasted.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

One person could do all this.... and supply tens of markets with ears.... so.... I don't believe that crap. A loaf of bread costs less. Involves more people and takes longer to produce....

Are you like 2% or somthing, Conan?

new topics

join