It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA' Humanoid robot:Robonaut 2 to make Super Bowl television debut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Robonaut 2, NASA's dexterous humanoid robot, will make its television debut on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 6, 2011. Millions of viewers will be able to watch the state-of-the-art robot during a General Motors segment to air during the Super Bowl pre-game show on the Fox network.

Robonaut 2, or R2, was developed and built by NASA and General Motors via a Space Act Agreement. Using the latest technology, it's a new humanoid robot capable of working side-by-side with people. Using leading edge control, sensor and vision technologies, future R-2s could assist astronauts during hazardous space missions and help GM build safer cars and plants.

Read the full article here!
www.nasa.gov...#
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/463705ce2c9d.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is a link I found with a report on humanoid robots, which was wrote back in 2005.
Some cool info here too!
ETA: The better info is about half way down the page, starting with a title called: Evaluation of Human Sense of Security for Coexisting Robots Using Virtual Reality

In the near future, it is expected that robots will be
introduced into our living space and help us in our daily
life. For this purpose, it is necessary to design the robots
and their motions considering the interaction between the
robots and humans: ``physical safety'' and ``mental safety''.
Physical safety means that robots do not injure humans.
Mental safety will be said that humans do not feel fear of
or surprised at robots. In addition, it is important that
humans do not feel unpleasant to or disgusted at robots.
There are several ways to realize physical safety: robots
avoid humans by measuring the distance between them
with some kinds of sensors, or robots are covered with
some kind of soft material so as not to injure humans.

Full document/report here e-reports-ext.llnl.gov...
edit on 6-2-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
NICE FIND! It lends a weird futuristic ring of reality in the present. Weird that GM probably used bailout money to make the halftime show better.... On a side note do you think the real reason for the robots are for the moon minig of helium3? That is a very real prospect that they could be powered with solar energy and work in oxygenless enviroment thereby making the exposure of humans to the moons enviroment minimal. Its real plausible idea. Then again it another robot that will take another job away from a person and its made by a car manufacturer!!!! I see irony

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by agentblue
NICE FIND! It lends a weird futuristic ring of reality in the present. Weird that GM probably used bailout money to make the halftime show better.... On a side note do you think the real reason for the robots are for the moon minig of helium3? That is a very real prospect that they could be powered with solar energy and work in oxygenless enviroment thereby making the exposure of humans to the moons enviroment minimal. Its real plausible idea. Then again it another robot that will take another job away from a person and its made by a car manufacturer!!!! I see irony

You got that right! This has been in the making for quite some time, I just wonder how far it might go.
How much will we see these humanoid robots cross into regular daily living life.
I agree, the idea is very plausible! Although, from what I can see, they were researching how these robots might help in hospitals etc too.
I'm not so sure I would be comfy with a robot looking after me like this.

For example, a
chain of work units is as follows.
(1) Get instruction from the doctor to prepare
injection for the patient.
(2) Search for the prescription of injection.
(3) Check the drug name, dose, and date.
(4) Sign in the prescription.
(5) Check the syringe and needle.

e-reports-ext.llnl.gov... This really is a very long report, which I haven't fully read yet either.
edit on 6-2-2011 by Wildeagle because: Made an oopsie!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
One cannot deny the obvious comparison

On a serious note, if GM is involved with this it should either fall apart before the segment ends or attempt to kill everyone in the stands.

brill
edit on 6-2-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by brill

On a serious note, if GM is involved with this it should either fall apart before the segment ends or attempt to kill everyone in the stands.

brill

OMG!!! How did I miss that comparison?!!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildeagle

Originally posted by brill

brill

OMG!!! How did I miss that comparison?!!!!

Its a ringer!

top topics

join