It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neat battery hack.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Hey guy's, I was at a diy website (kipkay.com) and found this video:

kipkay.com...

Really cool, my question is, what are its potentials if any?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Well, with a quick search on Youtube, it seems like it's pretty popular to *implant* one of these things into your fingertips. Why? I have no idea, I guess because it looks cool when you can pick up stuff without touching it. Is neodymium dangerous? And the better question, who told people to stick these things inside your body?

edit: just realized the magnet wasn't actually in the lantern battery. not sure what i was thinking, must be going nuts from too much ats.
edit on 6-2-2011 by nwdogg1982 because: edit

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by nwdogg1982

No idea what your talking about, nothing about sticking magnets in your body from the link i provided...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

I did a search on youtube for neodymium magnets, and that was what came up. The device they created on that video is a homopolar motor. It can basically be used as a way to transfer electromagnetic energy into mechanical energy. I doubt there is much power in the F cells to really do much, though with some ingenuity you might be able to use it in a toy robot or something.

The concept is intriguing though. If it were to be applied on a bigger scale, then it could power some bigger machines maybe. It's the same concept as a faraday disk.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
that was a cool hack, i like this guys hack. So what is the reason this hack only works with these kinds of batteries?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by roguehuman

This tutorial has only been tested with that brand, others have other methods of battery packaging.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by roguehuman
that was a cool hack, i like this guys hack. So what is the reason this hack only works with these kinds of batteries?

You can make a homopolar motor using many differnt kinds of batteries. Here's a video that shows how to make one with a simple AA battery:
www.bing.com... RM=VIRE1

And here's a guy who had some fun making a variable-speed hmopolar motor (again using a AA Battery):
www.bing.com... motor

Here's a "how-to" article:
dangerouslyfun.com...
edit on 2/6/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I laugh at you primitive battery hack and blow you away with my super amazing VCR hack.
Bet you didnt know all this stuff was just waiting to be plundered inside your old video recorder

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It is pretty much a given that any chemical cell arrangement that puts out more than 1.2-3 volts is actually several cells. In this case, the 'standard' for a 6-volt lantern battery is and has pretty much always been 4 'F' cells inside a squarish box. Likewise, the little 9-volt batteries are made of 6 'AAAA' cells inside a rectangular box.

Possibilities? Well, I suppose if you were building something that used 1.5 volts (the average cell voltage for alkaline cells) but needed a tremendous amount of current, you could rip a 6-volt battery open and re-wire it into parallel.... but you could also just buy 'F' cells easier (one link to a rechargeable order page - Note! I do not know this supplier!). That's about the only possibility I see for it, other than an interesting look inside how things we tend to take for granted are made.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

join