It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt's Brotherhood To Hold Talks With Government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

CAIRO – Egypt's largest opposition group, the Muslim Brotherhood, said it would begin talks Sunday with the government to try and end the country's political crisis.

The announcement by the fundamentalist group came on the 13th day of mass demonstrations calling for the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak, Egypt's authoritarian ruler of nearly 30 years. Mubarak has said he would not run for the presidency again in elections slated for September, but has insisted he will serve out the remaining seven months of his current term to supervise a peaceful transfer of power.

The outlawed Brotherhood said in a statement that its representatives would meet with Vice President Omar Suleiman to press its "legitimate and just demands."

Senior Brotherhood leader Mohammed Mursi said the group was sticking to the protesters' main condition that Mubarak step down. He told The Associated Press the talks will take place later Sunday.

These would be the first known discussions between the government and the Brotherhood in years, suggesting the group could be allowed an open political role in the post-Mubarak era.

Some opposition leaders met with Suleiman on Saturday but said there was no breakthrough.

And so it begins? Guess we will see how this turns out.
edit on 2/6/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
What begins?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

Ummm the fight for who rules next? Who wants the job, who do the people want, and who will get it. Will the next leader come from the brotherhood? Will they serve the people better? It is a lot contained in "So it begins". I guess anyone can take their pick.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
i thought he brotherhood said they werent going to talk with the government until mubarak steps down, what made them change their mind? are they betraying the other opposition groups or did they just find an opportunity at "throne" and they are seizing the opportunity.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by Ellen15

Ummm the fight for who rules next? Who wants the job, who do the people want, and who will get it. Will the next leader come from the brotherhood? Will they serve the people better? It is a lot contained in "So it begins". I guess anyone can take their pick.

You freak out with the muslim brotherhood supposedly having a chat with the current regime but dont freak out when other political party heads had a chat during the week, or a commitee made up of opposition party organised a chat, nor did you freak out when the committee of wise men met with the current regime during the week

Muslim Brotherhood have already said they dont want to LEAD (thats probably not reported in the USA)

Political actors (opposition parties) inside Egypt have made it clear they want liberal open democracy

Their demands have been pretty clear

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by roguehuman
i thought he brotherhood said they werent going to talk with the government until mubarak steps down, what made them change their mind? are they betraying the other opposition groups or did they just find an opportunity at "throne" and they are seizing the opportunity.

So did the Opposition Political Parties yet they met for a chat

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellen15

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by Ellen15

You freak out with the muslim brotherhood supposedly having a chat with the current regime but dont freak out when other political party heads had a chat during the week, or a commitee made up of opposition party organised a chat, nor did you freak out when the committee of wise men met with the current regime during the week

Muslim Brotherhood have already said they dont want to LEAD (thats probably not reported in the USA)

Political actors (opposition parties) inside Egypt have made it clear they want liberal open democracy

Their demands have been pretty clear

I am always slightly amused when posting a headline is considered freaking out.
I asked a few questions, but don't recall my hair being on fire or anything.

I actually did freak out during the week with one of the other meetings. I was too busy running in circles around my living room to post though.

Your all seeing eye must have missed it. I am not sure how that occured since you obviously know my feelings on everything else.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I am always slightly amused when posting a headline is considered freaking out

Had nothing to do with the headline

"the fight for who rules next??

Like the fight in the USA during the elections?

Who wants the job?
Who do the people want?
Who will get it?

lol Thats how the rest of the world felt at the last presidential election in the USA

Muslim Brotherhood have stated they arent interested in Government, to lead
Did you miss that statement?
They've stated it several times

Election 2005 I believe some of them ran as Independents and won a few seats in Parliament, as did a few other Opposition Party Members, I think the seats won were in the The Lower House

The Vice President (USA best man) invited the Muslim Brotherhood a week ago and all the other Opposition Parties for a chat, they all refused...until now

Under The Constitution in Egypt, If a President steps down etc the Vice President takes over

Elections have to take place within 60 days ...

The problem is the President refuses to step down

In the meantime, they're working on amending 3 articles in The Constitution (part of the Opposition Parties demands and the Pro Democracy demonstraters demands)

That part of the demands is being worked on - part of the democratic process all parties are involved

The Leader of the NDP was fired as well as many others within The Cabinet (the top jobs)

Take that as "Clearing The House"

The problem with that though is its 'cosmetic',
The President and Vice President have NOT dissolved Parliament, the people of Egypt dont trust them... The same regime is still there, Parliament hasnt dissolved (which is meant to be the process) ... They are stalling!

Beligum has been without Government for never 8 months
My own Country was without Government for weeks and weeks after Elections last year
Canada a few years ago, was also without Government for weeks

None of these countries resulted in chaos, the country ran itself, banks were left open, schools continued to be open, businesses continued to trade, the country's ran with an Interm Government

Im aware the Miltary in the USA had a meeting, on high alert and standby, sent marines to Egypt

So yeah from my end you were freaking out
:

Im more interested in the process right now

Will the Vice President continue to only deliever cosmetics or will the Vice President actually forfill the amendments in 3 Articles of The Constitution - where the Vice President could end up executive and take over (even with the President still there) during an Interm Period and then call for elections within 60 days .. and that is what worries many, that it will only be cosmetics not actually deliever the promise, they did have in the passt 30 years why now? They continue to ignore the west instructions, although the west since has changed their position AGAIN on this

How does the army fit in all this?
Will the army (who are part of the regime) end up running the Interm Government?
(I believe that can also happen under their Constitution)

There are MANY Opposition Parties in Egypt, its not like the US where u only have 2 parties to choose from
They're is suggestion that even more political parties will form as a result of the lastest evidents in Egypt, that can only be a good thing

It's like many other countries who have a Parliament
My own country has many different political parties, and quite a few of them (members) have and do win seats in Parliament

edit on 6-2-2011 by Ellen15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ellen15

Like the fight in the USA during the elections?

It is often insanity here during elections, before them, and sometimes for months after them.
You'll get no argument from me on that point.

lol Thats how the rest of the world felt at the last presidential election in the USA

I can only imagine. And it was probably even worse than that.

Muslim Brotherhood have stated they arent interested in Government, to lead
Did you miss that statement?
They've stated it several times

They have indeed stated it more than once. I did not miss it. The article stated "an open political role in the post mubarak era". That is why I stated we will have to wait and see what that role may be and if they will accept it. At this rate I have no clue who will be in the running.

Election 2005 I believe some of them ran as Independents and won a few seats in Parliament, as did a few other Opposition Party Members, I think the seats won were in the The Lower House

The Vice President (USA best man) invited the Muslim Brotherhood a week ago and all the other Opposition Parties for a chat, they all refused...until now

Under The Constitution in Egypt, If a President steps down etc the Vice President takes over

Elections have to take place within 60 days ...

The problem is the President refuses to step down

In the meantime, they're working on amending 3 articles in The Constitution (part of the Opposition Parties demands and the Pro Democracy demonstraters demands)

That part of the demands is being worked on - part of the democratic process all parties are involved

The Leader of the NDP was fired as well as many others within The Cabinet (the top jobs)

Take that as "Clearing The House"

The problem with that though is its 'cosmetic',
The President and Vice President have NOT dissolved Parliament, the people of Egypt dont trust them... The same regime is still there, Parliament hasnt dissolved (which is meant to be the process) ... They are stalling!

Beligum has been without Government for never 8 months
My own Country was without Government for weeks and weeks after Elections last year
Canada a few years ago, was also without Government for weeks

None of these countries resulted in chaos, the country ran itself, banks were left open, schools continued to be open, businesses continued to trade, the country's ran with an Interm Government

Im aware the Miltary in the USA had a meeting, on high alert and standby, sent marines to Egypt

So yeah from my end you were freaking out
:

Thanks for that information. There was actually a thing or two in there I was not aware of. So I do appreciate that. Funny how people continue to thrive and live without big government sitting in the same seat everyday. They should learn that folks can live without them shadowing the people's every move.

I suppose I can see where you considered my post as freaking out with all the other stuff occuring. I have been watching the Egypt situation since it began. We do have mis-information here as well as some truth sprinkled in here and there. So sometimes it gets tricky picking the truth from the lies being broadcast all over tv. It is a sad fact.

Im more interested in the process right now

Will the Vice President continue to only deliever cosmetics or will the Vice President actually forfill the amendments in 3 Articles of The Constitution - where the Vice President could end up executive and take over (even with the President still there) during an Interm Period and then call for elections within 60 days .. and that is what worries many, that it will only be cosmetics not actually deliever the promise, they did have in the passt 30 years why now? They continue to ignore the west instructions, although the west since has changed their position AGAIN on this

How does the army fit in all this?
Will the army (who are part of the regime) end up running the Interm Government?
(I believe that can also happen under their Constitution)

There are MANY Opposition Parties in Egypt, its not like the US where u only have 2 parties to choose from
They're is suggestion that even more political parties will form as a result of the lastest evidents in Egypt, that can only be a good thing

It's like many other countries who have a Parliament
My own country has many different political parties, and quite a few of them (members) have and do win seats in Parliament

I am very interested in the same things. I am hoping for the best for all those in Egypt. They have stood up for what they want, I hope it benefits them when all is said and done.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

The article stated "an open political role in the post mubarak era".

Meaning - the banned Muslim Brotherhood would no longer be banned as a political party

Open elections means just that, open elections - democracy, fair representation (when a country has a Parliament)

Individuals could run as part of the Muslim Brotherhood (political party) now the ban is lifted or continue to run as independents, Independents won 20% (seats) in 2005, would be up to individuals running for a seat in parliament how they would go, thats something the Muslim Brotherhood would discuss with their members who would consider running for a seat if they wanted to as Muslim Brotherhood or as an independent .. hope that makes sense

Political systems outside the USA are DIFFERENT

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
My understanding is that Mubarak has now stepped down and been replaced by a committee from the Army. Personally I think we are likely witnessing the birth of a new "Pakistan" in the region. Perhaps not, because Egypt is not located in the same sort of ethnic and political stress zone that Pakistan occupies, but Egypt, I think, may well wind up with a Pakistani-style "democracy" operating under the shadow of the military, as democracy in Pakistan does.

Egypt is not free of foreign pressure, not by a long shot, not until they develop their own highly evolved arms manufacturing industry and even then it's a pipe dream of freedom. Is Israel free?

Another issue is food. They can't feed themselves. Maybe that is why Egypt has been inoffensive to Israel for so long. Their problems are too serious to allow for indulgences like solidarity with the Palestinians. Putting food on the table is job one for any new government. Maybe if they are able to get rid of the looters within their own hierarchy they will be able to put the money into solving substantive issues.

Frivolous leisure time activities like effing up the Israelis can come later.

The coming battle in Egypt will be between people who want to solve real issues like food, people who want a Sharia state and to go into action against Israel and people who want to replace the looters ousted from the top of the Egyptian "pyramid" with their own greedy selves.
edit on 11-2-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

top topics

join