It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subliminal Messaging (Unforseen effects)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
A colleague has been experimenting with subliminal messaging and reports some unforseen results. At this point in time we have a theory which fits the facts, but I would like to open the subject for debate in case anyone else here can supply anything useful

* * * All constructive input is welcome * * *

Having had over 30 years of a very negative belief being reinforced in his subconscious my friend has (a) consciously decided that this is unhealthy, and (b) has been bombarding himself with (positive) subliminal messages (during the day and at night) with the hope of acheiving a "reprogramming", and replacing this negative belief with a positive one.

This has apparently caused him to have vivid and disturbing nightmares, all with a common theme of him being "opposed" - and most recently involving him needing to "keep away from doors" for fear of something on the other side.

We've discussed this (he's also msg'd the company who provided the subliminal sound track), and our general consensus is that his subconscious is fighting hard against relinquishing it's (negative) belief. Although the subconscious is generally believed NOT to have an "awareness" of time, 30-plus years is a long time for a negative belief to become ingrained

Two options seem obvious - continue with the process (and tolerate the nightmares) - or give up the experiment.

Does anyone else have experience of subliminal messaging? Are there perhaps other less obvious options which could be explored?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxine1969

It sounds like his controller on the other side doesn't want him to discover something. See thread for insight.

We're all nothing more than avatars

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Some additional detail, if it assists ...

34 or 35 years ago the subject was in a serious road accident which resulted in broken limbs, concussion, lascerations etc.,

Ever since then, doctors, friends, and family have (apparently) always said "remember the accident" whenever any physical ache or pain, or problem has arisen. (failing at sports, problems exercising etc.,)

My friend recognizes that this has become a convenient "excuse" for physical failings - and the subliminals are all positive suggestions to the effect that the body has healed, and that previous injuries are not a factor in current physical wellbeing

I agree that the 'Controller' appears to be putting up a fight, and is trying to block access to something - analogous to a computer's operating system attempting to prevent access by an application program.

So, any thoughts on where to go from here? Discontinue, persevere, or a new approach?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
The only thing probable is that it seems to be having an effect. I would keep pursuing it, I think the perception of fear means that he is getting close and needs to go through the door - it's the fear of the unknown. Once he learns what is on the other side the fear will be gone. It's very unlikely that he will die.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Get your friend to record himself saying the positive messages he wants to help himself with.
Then overlay his recording with some music of his choice, or white noise for sleeping.

It may be more effective having his own voice messaging him subliminally.
He should then re-evaluate if the dreams dont go away.

I would not trust someone else's subliminal. They could add any sort of crap, forwards/backwards/upside down, your subconcious would still pick it up.

A free audio app called 'Audacity' may help with the mixing

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

Thanks for your imput.

I've had a look at the thread you recommended, (it is very interesting!), although I'm a little unsure as to whether you comments (in that thread) are meant to be taken spiritually, philosophically, or as a practical explanation of the interaction between mind and body?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
I would not trust someone else's subliminal. They could add any sort of crap, forwards/backwards/upside down, your subconcious would still pick it up.

Thanks for your reply

In conversations we've had I've certainly never heard any mention of subliminals potentially having been recorded backwards/upside down/whatever, I will certainly mention it

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
brains are recieving and transmitting signals on an unique freqency.....
manipulating that freqency has its affect on the brain itself...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
It is sounding like he may of been part of a mind control experiment. Car accidents are used as cover stories for the programming process. The fact that he does not remember it enforces this theory. If he has been programmed there are some very deep and powerful blocks put in place to mask the processes, uncovering these without knowing what you are getting into can trigger suicidal behaviours, the nightmares may be a warning. Here is one thread about it www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am still working through this information. The MK Ultra program is acknowledged in the congressional record and backed up with heaps of information available. This was a while ago and it is to be expected that it is ongoing while getting more powerful.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
brains are recieving and transmitting signals on an unique freqency.....
manipulating that freqency has its affect on the brain itself...

OK, can we please clarify - are you saying "Brain" meaning "grey organ in the skull", or do you mean mind/conscious?

If you do mean the physical organ, are you saying a frequency has a physical effect on the Brain? If so, whatwould that be please?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

A thoroughly disturbing subject you've highlighted there, it will take me a while to read through the external links etc., but I'll certainly consider passing it on.

Thanks very much for your input

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Below is a video you may find of interest.

Subliminal ads can be found everywhere, and now with supplied also with subliminal music, just to make sure that any message is put across with max impact.

The best thing that anyone can do, is to switch off the TV or better still, just throw it out of the window on to an empty pavement below.

I've been without a TV for years now, and I'm a lot better off for it.

At the end of this video, there's a short test.

See how you get on.

Fox.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I have to agree with CitizenNum. I don't think I would trust subliminal messages from another company! I would have to know it front, back and sideways before using something like that. If he can't actually hear what's being said, how does he know it's positive? Kind of scary, really.

But assuming that the software is legit and there's nothing shady about it, the nightmares are likely a transition from negative to positive. Maybe he subconsciously fears being positive. Being a former pessimist myself, I know it's scary to go from being dead set in your negative ways to going to a sunny outlook on life. Being negative is kind of like a safety net. If something bad happens, you're kind of prepared because you didn't expect to be happy to begin with. That's how I felt anyway. It was a very hard transition for me and I still relapse every now and then, but I'd say I'm now 98% optimist. I was raised in a very negative family... a very loving and caring family, but they always expected the worst and therefore, that's usually what they got. It took me years to overcome my negativity.

So, if it isn't the software, I'd think it's just his own fear that is causing the nightmares. Sure, he consciously wants to think positive but it takes a lot to convince the subconscious mind to suddenly be any different than it has been for the majority of his life. And like another poster said, he probably does need to go through those doors in his dreams. Granted, being able to lucid dream and do what you want to do is a horse of a different color, but if he could figure out a way to do it, I think it might just solve the problem.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Interesting point you raise, having a loving, caring, but negative family. You know the TV show ‘Friends’? (OK, this is a silly, comedy example, but there is a point to it). In one episode Matthew Perry wants to have a lazy Sunday morning while Courteney Cox wants him to go running. So he says he respects and admires her, he’s totally in awe of her! So much energy! So much enthusiasm! When you think about the fact that she has no job, no boyfriend, trouble paying the rent … WOW, he’d be so depressed if his life was such a mess … and of course what he’s doing is to get her depressed so that she doesn’t want to go running.

Deliberate or not, I've noticed this is the sort of thing a lot of people tend to do, especially people who haven't had happy or successful lives themselves, kind of propagating the negative

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

OK - I did a little bit of investigating, and now I'm worried.

I really could use some advice just now. Can I msg you offline somehow pls? If you want to set up a fake/throw-away email address to protect your own identity, that's fine. I'll just type up an email detailing what information has come to my attention, and let you judge for yourself.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I think the effectiveness of subliminal messaging has been overstated.

In 1957, market researcher James Vicary claimed that quickly flashing messages on a movie screen, in Fort Lee, New Jersey, had influenced people to purchase more food and drinks. Vicary coined the term subliminal advertising and formed the Subliminal Projection Company based on a six-week test. Vicary claimed that during the presentation of the movie Picnic he used a tachistoscope to project the words "Drink Coca-Cola" and "Hungry? Eat popcorn" for 1/3000 of a second at five-second intervals. Vicary asserted that during the test, sales of popcorn and Coke in that New Jersey theater increased 57.8% and 18.1% respectively.[21][24]

However, in 1962 Vicary admitted to lying about the experiment and falsifying the results, the story itself being a marketing ploy.

Wikipedia

Vicary added: "All I accomplished, I guess, was to put a new word into common usage....I try not to think about it any more."

His fictitious study had already become the stuff of urban legend and is still often quoted to this very day as a prime example of subliminal messaging influencing human behaviour.

The truth is, there is a distinct lack of evidence to support the notion of subliminal messaging. At least to the degree that it can effect people over long periods of time.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Interesting point, but the wiki article also includes the following:

"In 2007, to mark the 50th anniversary of James Vicary's original experiment, it was recreated at the International Brand Marketing Conference MARKA 2007. As part of the "Hypnosis, subconscious triggers and branding" presentation 1,400 delegates watched part of the opening credits of the film Picnic that was used in the original experiment. They were exposed to 30 subliminal cuts over a 90-second period. When asked to choose one of two fictional brands, Delta and Theta, 81% of the delegates picked the brand suggested by the subliminal cuts, Delta.[47] Although, Delta is also a real brand."

(sorry I'm not clear how to "Quote" an external link into a post)

I think the best that can be said of the Wiki piece is that is supports the view that further research is required.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

It's been a while, and I'm here to update everyone on my original post

The colleague who had nightmares while using subliminals decided to "tough it out" and continued to bombard himself with subliminal recordings all night long, as well as having they playing in the background when he was at home or in the car.

The nightmares stopped, and he reports considerable improvements due (in his opinion) to changing his belief systems from negative to positive

He continues however to exhibit some very strange behavioral traits and some topics of conversation are thoroughly "off limits" unless you want a very heated and very nasty argument
this point is of concern to me, but I have to real way of addressing it other than to continue observing

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

I fully recommend that you friend try to do the following when they dream and are experiencing these nightmares!

1] realize they are dreaming

2] feel the fear and do the following step anyway ...

3] go to any door where they feel the opposing presence to be ... tell themselves they loves themselves and open the door and walk through it regardless

I believe that would resolve the issue once and for all and that they would benefit greatly from undergoing that mental and emotional process

Personal Disclosure: I wish your friend all the very best with their efforts

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

It is good to hear that some improvements are going on despite some deep scars remaining. If the discussion is getting heated, it is not that uncommon for a lot of relationships. If things are getting physical then it is defiantly not good.

If you do want to get to the bottom of things then maybe start thinking about an intervention with some family and health professionals? Maybe just having some backup by someone who knows and cares about what is going on. I know it is a tricky thing to have a raging argument and there is not much that can be done if he refuses to talk about it.

Without knowing more it is hard to give advice, trust and safety are important. It does seam like there are some dark issues there and they are not easy things to confront.

<<   2 >>

join