It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disease wiping out hibernating bats in North America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
"Conservationists across the United States are racing to discover a solution to White-Nose Syndrome, a disease that is threatening to wipe out bat species across North America."
~ Science Daily: Death in the Bat Caves

Since 2006 about one million bats across six species in eastern North America have died from WNS, and as a result several species of bats face endangerment or extinction.

The low temperatures and humid conditions of bat caves create ideal breeding grounds for this fungus, and in some bat colonies the mortality rate from WNS has been more than 95%

More in the article

edit on 5-2-2011 by Thermo Klein because: fixed link

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I've heard of white nose syndrome and it has took a toll on the Mexican Free tail bat. I think last time I researched the subject they narrowed it down to a fungus. But it is really no bueno senior. No bueno at all.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Hey here's a thread I did awhile back about this issue.www.abovetopsecret.com...
They think they may have a solution.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I will ask in another thread because we have had no luck asking in the appropriate threads. There was a fellow that had said that he felt guilty and had to warn us about impending doom. He said that we would see colors in the sky and that we would know when we saw these sign that the end was near. He also stated that he would be leaving us soon and, supposedly left to the hills after this last year. Well, this thread disappeared from my save threads and I was unable to search successfully for this lost thread. Does anyone know, or have a link to that thread?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I know the white fungus has been going on for a while, but it's getting worse, as well as the problems with the bees... Die offs continue... what can a mass die off of bats mean??? More insects, what else eats insects? Birds and fish... what else is dieing??? Massive insect plagues coming??? Plants and trees perhaps next in the die offs??? Or perhaps already happening... These are scary and delicate times we live in.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
this sounds unsual

could it be a rabis outbreak amoung the bat

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I just saw this on RSOE while looking into the "Heat Wave" alert for Minnesota (strange, that one). Anyway, here is what RSOE has for the bats in Virginia:

As scientists approached Hamilton Cave to check on the bats inside, they found the body of one wedged in a crack outside the cave's mouth. The bat's nose was white, as if the thumb-sized animal had poked its gargoyle face into flour. "The first white-nose victim at Hamilton Cave," geologist Wil Orndorff said somberly. "Ever," added colleague Chris Hobson, a zoologist. That white gunk was a fungus believed to cause a torturous disease in bats called white-nose syndrome. In 2009, when scientists last checked Hamilton Cave in far Southwest Virginia, all the bats looked fine. But the mysterious fungus, new to science when it appeared in New York in 2006, is spreading quickly. White-nose has killed more than 1 million bats from New Hampshire to Tennessee, including thousands in Virginia. At some Northeast caves, it has wiped out more than 90 percent of the bats, leaving behind little brown bones like pine needles. "This is like the Great Plague for bats," said Orndorff, who works with Hobson for the state Natural Heritage Program, a conservation office. The disease has caused "the most precipitous decline of North American wildlife in recorded history" and could make entire species of bats go extinct, experts said in a 2009 statement. Scientists are comparing this onslaught to the devastation of the buffalo, the passenger pigeon and the American chestnut tree. And all the bats want to do is eat the mosquitoes that make us miserable and the bugs that damage our crops and gardens.
hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by nonnez

I will ask in another thread because we have had no luck asking in the appropriate threads. There was a fellow that had said that he felt guilty and had to warn us about impending doom. He said that we would see colors in the sky and that we would know when we saw these sign that the end was near. He also stated that he would be leaving us soon and, supposedly left to the hills after this last year. Well, this thread disappeared from my save threads and I was unable to search successfully for this lost thread. Does anyone know, or have a link to that thread?

I Believe that is the D4rk Kn1ght thread. Cant find it at the moment but will egt back to you.

OK here you go...www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you type his name into the search engine there are threads about this thread. Some are interesting.
edit on 14-2-2011 by mutantgenius because: add link

new topics

top topics

join